Hi guys,

This might seem a silly question but I'm not much of a game keeper.

What do you feed pheasants? Is it wheat, barley...?

The shoot I'm a member of has lost alot of birds this year & I have a feeling it might be down to the feed being used. Also the birds that are there are very small with no fat & empty crops.

Any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Hi guys,

This might seem a silly question but I'm not much of a game keeper.

What do you feed pheasants? Is it wheat, barley...?

The shoot I'm a member of has lost alot of birds this year & I have a feeling it might be down to the feed being used. Also the birds that are there are very small with no fat & empty crops.

Any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Most definitely the best corn possible and lots of it. Stay away from additives because although they may draw a few birds in, you will find that if you stop adding it they will disappear and take other birds with it. There could be other factors involved though. Do you keep the vermin down? Are you putting straw rides in when the weather turns rough? These need to be fluffed up regularly and corn spread on the floor. When it gets too dirty you then put new straw down and you keep repeating this all through the season. I was always asked .... would you eat off of a dirty plate? Why should your birds? How many feeders to birds do you have? If you have a few feeders but quite a few birds they will go looking for easier pickings. Do you have people regularly going near your cover or woods and disturbing the birds?

Dont feed pellets for too long either...... They go sour when damp and the birds detest them when they are like that..

Hope that helps.