help , quick question

leave the round in the chamber and the rifle pointed in a safe direction for at least 1 minute,

then place the round in oil for a day, and bury somewhere safe. or if you have a kinetic bullet puller, take the head of tip the powder out and burn off...

Snap.

if it dosen't go off within the 30 seconds or so, I just re cock the rifle, (if it's a rimfire then you can just rotate the round round so a new piece of the rim is showing as it may be that the priming compound didn't get in to the rim at that point) and fire again, so long as the boom is contained within the rifle I see no issue, if it then dosen't fire then dispose of it safely, I'm not sure how effective soaking it in oil would be as if the rounds are crimped at the neck and the primers have a sealer on them to prevent moisture ingress, I'm not sure how the oil would get in there either, perhaps someone could explain.

Ok, on a range, the normal procedure is to keep the rifle pointed downrange for 30 seconds, in case of a "hangfire". Then on a range you would indicate to the RO that you have a misfire. He would then take the rifle off you and deal with the problem.

In the field, keep rifle pointed in a safe direction for 30 seconds to a minute. Then carefully ease the bolt up, making sure that none of you is in the path of the bolt if it is pushed back by the round discharging. Draw back slowly and make sure that you retain the round separately. Check the back of the round. If it has a shallow indentation (light strike) then it may indicate a problem with the weapon. If it has a full depth indentation, then it is a faulty round. If a light strike happens more than once in a blue moon, get the gun to a gunsmith to check it out and service it.

With some bolt actions, you can cause a light strike by failing to fully push the bolt handle down. If you have a problem with misfires then it may be worth checking that when you load a round, you give the bolt handle a gentle tap down to make sure it's fully closed.

Either way, NEVER put a misfired round back in the rifle. Even with a rimfire. NEVER!

Dispose of the round in a safe manner, so by burying, or with a kinetic hammer, or take it to a RFD or gunsmith. Make asolutely sure that you keep the round separate.

Matt,

What is a kinetic hammer?

Haven't heard of this before.

Mick.

Hey Mick, hope you had a good Xmas! A kinetic hammer, looks a bit like a normal hammer with a screw off end which opens so you can place a charged round in to it. You then screw the end back on and hit the hammer on to a hard surface, this dislodges the bullet which will come out of the case. Sounds scary and it is!! Best by far is a bullet puller which fits in to your press like a die. There is a collet which grips the bullet and as you lower the press arm, the bullet is separated from the case.

Hammer

Collet

I've used both and snapped the hammer after the first few tries. I've been using the collet bullet puller for a number of years and it's great!!

John

Either way, NEVER put a misfired round back in the rifle. Even with a rimfire. NEVER!

might I ask why? but considering how they make the rounds, by pouring the priming compound into the case and spinning it, plus they make so many of them it's hardly surprising that one or two misfire, if the round is in a safe and good condition firearm chambered for the cartridge, how would it be unsafe to attempt to fire the same cartridge again? especially considering the low pressures of a rimfire? if it's only a priming issue then surely there wouldn't be a safety problem. on the few occasions I have had a misfire both with .22LR and with .17 HMR I have re-fired the round without incident, where does the danger creep in? not rubbishing your comment, but just curious as to why you feel it would be unsafe...

cheers

DB

Edited by danebrewer10

Dane. Valid point I grant you, the risk is low, but with the cost of .22, or even .17 rounds, anything "out of the ordinary" would cause me to remove the round from service. It'll most likely not be a problem, but is it worth the risk? A priming problem would suggest a faulty round, and I would assess the risk of a misfire as relatively high, with the attendant risk of getting a round stuck in the barrel, which is obviously dangerous.

Also, if I am pointing my rifle at something living, then I want to be certain that when I pull the trigger it will have a reliable effect, the concern that I have a misfired round in the chamber would probably make me miss the shot!

The main reason is that the procedure is mainly aimed at CF cartridges, where any kind of fault can cause a dangerous condition. Sure, if you wish to take the risk with rf that's your concern, but I would always teach that misfired rounds should never be reloaded, on the grounds that one day you might forget that you have the .308 and not the .22. Unlikely maybe, but if you make it a general rule then the chance of a mistake is decreased.

Of course most of this is moot, as you are unlikely to see more than one misfire or failure to fire, with modern arms and amunition, in a lifetime of shooting (unless you are shooting ridiculously large numbers of rounds, or are firing the cheapest of .22LR ammunition.

Matt,

What is a kinetic hammer?

Haven't heard of this before.

Mick.

Hey Mick, hope you had a good Xmas! A kinetic hammer, looks a bit like a normal hammer with a screw off end which opens so you can place a charged round in to it. You then screw the end back on and hit the hammer on to a hard surface, this dislodges the bullet which will come out of the case. Sounds scary and it is!! Best by far is a bullet puller which fits in to your press like a die. There is a collet which grips the bullet and as you lower the press arm, the bullet is separated from the case.

Hammer

Collet

I've used both and snapped the hammer after the first few tries. I've been using the collet bullet puller for a number of years and it's great!!

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, you are right, sounds too scary for me to use!

Bit late but happy new year! (And to all)

Cheers,

Mick.

Good advice for a begner maybe.

Once the wait is over It is normal practise to turn it around & try again, I've done it many times, once most of the rim is flat & still unfired assume a dud.

That's at the range, if It happens when out in the field I just take it out after waiting & try again on the range.

If at any time you don't hear a bang or a muffled whimpy phut then pull the bullet out of the chamber after a wait to double the safety bit, if the head is missing assume It's still up the spout & check your bore is clear or indeed blocked.

If blocked please take note, a second shot will not clear it (as some air rifle users seem to think) & is not just dangerous, It's deadly, seriously deadly.