We've just seen a 2 acre smallholding come up for sale and are really Interested! The add states that you could come fully self sufficient and that it has something to do with Defra about being aloud to keep livestock?

Got me thinking, how much land would a family need to become fully self sufficient?

I worked on a smallholding as a bit of a handyman for 3 years so have a bit of an Idea but not a great deal. It comes with 2 massive greenhouses aswell :)

Looking for Info on livestock, aprox quanititys etc anything you guys got..

Butch ;)

I would say about 5 acres would be enough, obviously the more the merrier but you need to keep costs down, but the poultry don't need to be penned up as such except for in their coops at night, you can grow a hell of a lot of veg in small areas, you only need a few sheep, a dairy cow and bull (optional) and a few pigs.

The sheep and cattle can field share, and the pigs don't need that much room, although again the more space the better.

If you have a river near by with trout in or a coast near by then you have a supply of fish, and if you have woodlands near by or on your permissions where you hunt has woodlands then you can have firewood, etc (obvioulsy with permission holders consent)

It will be hard work but I know people that have done it, and are doing it now.

Joe

I'm no expert but the first thing I'd be looking at is the quality of the land.

For example, some highland ground you might be able to graze 3 or 4 sheep to the acre, but on good rich lowaland pasture you might graze 10 to 15 to the acre.

Just using sheep as an example but sheep, cattle or crops they all rely on your soil and how good it is.

Hi there,

I have a 14 acre small holding, we keep shire horses and other breeds mainly, but I do have pigs (large black & Gloucester old spot) sheep are arriving in spring I only ever take on orphan lambs as they are free or very cheap and you slaughter them in the same year so no shearing, breeding, having to keep a ram etc. I also have ducks chickens dogs cats ferrets etc!

Pigs trash your land, you will need to rotate where they live in an ideal world. and cost a small fortune to feed!

A house cow or dairy cow …..there isn’t enough room for! So do not listen to the above! In winter it will “poach” the land and make it un-useable for anything else.

The question you need to ask is do you have the time, skill, time, money, time, tools, time, money !!!! to be self sufficient.

But in answer to your question....no 2 acres is not enough. But you could be "semi self sufficient"

I think you catch my drift?

If you want any other advice PM me and I will let you have my mob number.

:thumbs:

Edited by langouroux

You can keep ducks on the same land as root vegetables as long as you dont overstock. They'll keep the slugs an snails off for you. I keep indian runners and mallards fed on layers pellets an they cost about £1 a month per bird.

Geese will do well in an orchard as long as there's plenty of grass. They'll also eat any windfalls before the rats get a chance.

I'm sure the small holders have plenty of clever ways to make the most of a small area.

With 2 acres, I would focus on growing veg (and that'll be plenty of work), and maybe some poultry. Greenhouses already there sounds like a bonus. Personally, I would steer well clear of pigs because of feed prices (especially if you don't have access to a feed mill) and the devastation they cause. For beef or lamb, renting land might be a good option, giving greater flexibility. Fostering good relations with neighbouring farmers and landowners is important for increased chance of land to rent, hunting permission, borrowing machinery and maybe whole lambs at cost and suchlike

I have always fancied a small forest of my own.

If you ran a good size charcoal kiln, sold logs, hazel for greenwood crafts such as hurdles and the occasional large tree, you maybe able to make a living.