Work AND track

I think that brought as a pup and brought up as you would a lurcher they would be smashing on all quarry. Think about it, a pure greyhound is as fast as you can get, its undiluted and pure. Whatever you put into it (collie, bull, bedlington etc etc) waters it down and detracts from the speed. The only way of not detracting from the speed is to x it with another pure running dog (whippet for accelaration, saluki for stamina).

A retired greyhound (ex track dog) only knows straight ahead and straight lines and not for very long at a time. Its body, muscles and bones have developed to be doing that work. If trained from a pup to go round trees, over fences and to work for hours rather than minutes at a time its muscles and bones will be slightly different and it will have much better stamina.

All a sighthound really wants to do is chase and being as greys are so fast not much can get away from a properly trained, agile one with stamina.

What I would like to know is if there is anybody out there who has had a greyhound from a pup, brought it up as a lurcher and also used ut on the track?

once upon a time a sighthound was a lurcher or a greyhound depending on whether a peasant or a lord owned it.some ex track dogs would surprise you

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong mate the peasants where not allowed to own greyhounds so the lurcher originated because they cross bread them so they ran dut did not look like greyhounds

Peasants :thumbdown: were allowed to own greyhounds,but the front two toes had to be removed,making them usless as a coursing dog.Ps greyhounds are more intelligent than we give them credit 4 .My 2 yr old greyhound dog is pretty nimble and as quick as they come,still not a patch on any lurcher i have had,hunting wise.Only ran him at the local track and ,he never seemed to know if he was hunting or racing.But still he is changing ,started hunting by smell,but if Anything moves :icon_eek: then he`s as deaf as a post and will appear from any direction within 15 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

hi i had 2 greyhounds brother and sister from 12 weeks old and brought them up and worked them as lurchers ran them a few times on the track the dog was better on the track as he was more awilling to push his way through but both made damn good working dogs on rabbit and hare the bitch was a better rabbit dog as the dog was a litle bit too big and tended to turn himself over on the strike but as said before both were incredibly intelligent so dont think they can only run on a track they have many uses as a working dog i will no doubt have another when time suits :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thankyou timid toad. Iv been looking on various greyhound websites and pups dont seem to be available. Iv seen a few adverts for pups but when i look there always 12 - 24 months and i dont class that as a pup! Lol! Like you i would want a "proper" pup, one from 6 - 8 weeks old and preferably from coursing lines if you or anyone knows of a website where the word pup MEANS pup? :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

I think that brought as a pup and brought up as you would a lurcher they would be smashing on all quarry. Think about it, a pure greyhound is as fast as you can get, its undiluted and pure. Whatever you put into it (collie, bull, bedlington etc etc) waters it down and detracts from the speed. The only way of not detracting from the speed is to x it with another pure running dog (whippet for accelaration, saluki for stamina).

A retired greyhound (ex track dog) only knows straight ahead and straight lines and not for very long at a time. Its body, muscles and bones have developed to be doing that work. If trained from a pup to go round trees, over fences and to work for hours rather than minutes at a time its muscles and bones will be slightly different and it will have much better stamina.

All a sighthound really wants to do is chase and being as greys are so fast not much can get away from a properly trained, agile one with stamina.

What I would like to know is if there is anybody out there who has had a greyhound from a pup, brought it up as a lurcher and also used ut on the track?

i have had lurchers for 17 years now and have always had a greyhound or two. one dog i had was 28 inches and took many hares hit many dykes when running flat out and got back up to continue the course, and also won a few local competition's between me and some of my friend with very good rabitting dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

any good post this is, in my opinion which of course means nothing at all lol i have both lurchers and a greyhound id say yes you could use a greyhound to course however be prepared for toe and frequent leg injuries also they do not seem to last as long as a lurcher can although the speed is rapid they lack the sharp turn of a lurcher when sat behind a long ear and often turn like the arc royal would...... again just my own observations,

i will let you know by xmas if its possible to do both as mine isnt gunna be used for track 100% i intend to work him and see what he's like on things that run and bite back see how he goes id rather him be a worker than on the track however wrong time of year and young dog makes more sense to run him as he's winning a few now so fingers x'sd he'l do well in both when i do start taking him after the first cut :)

• 2 weeks later...

alright people, well lets see what can i say?? i decided to take my grey along to a lurcher show where they do that simulated coursing, never said anything to anyone just went and entered him, ran about 16 ties and wiped the floor with the lurchers they stayed with him until the firast turn then mine just opened up and left them for dust gaining the whole 450-500 yards he went on to win it so id say yeah you can use a grey to course as well as track im doing it lol the only prob was after he had finished he got stiff and started limping poor sod he was right after 2 days rest and is racing again next week after i have been out looking for bambi this week i have landed a beauty cheers fellas :):toast:

alright people, well lets see what can i say?? i decided to take my grey along to a lurcher show where they do that simulated coursing, never said anything to anyone just went and entered him, ran about 16 ties and wiped the floor with the lurchers they stayed with him until the firast turn then mine just opened up and left them for dust gaining the whole 450-500 yards he went on to win it so id say yeah you can use a grey to course as well as track im doing it lol the only prob was after he had finished he got stiff and started limping poor sod he was right after 2 days rest and is racing again next week after i have been out looking for bambi this week i have landed a beauty cheers fellas :):toast:

forgot to put a pic of him up heres me dog stan

300520111041.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

allright rob, yep i spose it would be a bit wierd if he didnt leave them although tere are some fast lurchers out there, it did have bends in the course though lol hence coursing not straight racing lol he did well to win and went to the track on the friday and won again in the 440m he has turned out to be a decent dog even though he's still a young un im going to start him on the lamp tonight so will have to get me finger out and get cracked on lol see what he's like on proper game i know he does cats!!

allright rob, yep i spose it would be a bit wierd if he didnt leave them although tere are some fast lurchers out there, it did have bends in the course though lol hence coursing not straight racing lol he did well to win and went to the track on the friday and won again in the 440m he has turned out to be a decent dog even though he's still a young un im going to start him on the lamp tonight so will have to get me finger out and get cracked on lol see what he's like on proper game i know he does cats!!

I often take my track dogs lamping it gets them to think more and gives them the more drive on the track so good luck hope it

works for you to

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies fellas, very interesting. Im definately going to be getting one when i can. Its just finding one thats a pain in the back passage! Lol! Really i want a pup but i cant find anything aged in weeks anywhere. Any advice re finding one? Kev.

• 2 months later...

search for breeders on the net or go to the local track and ask the dog handlers and owners see if they havbe any pups or no of any .....thats what i would do. and my greyhound only runs in a straight line and dunt think were the rabbit will be goin unlike the lurcher, the lurcher cuts the rabbit off its path unlike the greyhound witch just runs behind it...thats just what i have sin anyway