chances of getting granted a FAC

I've recently turned 18 and am seriously considering applying for my FAC and SGC. I've got quite alot of permission about 1000 acres to go at, however alot of rabbits are quite lamp shy so getting close with the dog or airgun is becoming difficult. i've figured i would have a bigger game bag at the end of the night with a .177 or .22 rimfire. However with my age being young what are my chances of being granted a FAC? Also i live on a farm i've heard because of this i've got more of a chance? Any help would be much appreciated and suggestions for a first rifle for mostly rabbit control.

Thanks Jake

Firstly, the rimfire is a .17, not a .177 which is an air rifle calibre.

As for your chances of gaining a licence, well, you have lots of premission, is any of it cleared for firearms? If not, are the owners/occupiers happy for mr plod to come and check it out?

If you have the land, and written permission, then you can show reasonabel cause to hold. Do you have somewhere you can mount a gun cabinet? That's another bit of the puzzle. Also, is there any reason they might not issue, or example criminal history, history of violence, anything like that? Also have you ever been diagnosed with clinical depression, prescribed anti depressants or been diagnosed with another mental illness? (I'm not expecting you to answer those questions here, just listing some of the reasons that you might not get your ticket)

If all of the above is clear, then you should be ok for an SGC, and possibly a rimfire though some forces are trying to push mentoring conditions on any section 1 weapons.

Are you a member of a shooting organisation? It's useful to have them there as backup if plod is a bit recalcitrant!

For rabbits, I'd suggest .22LR, with a moderator. With practice you should be good to take bunnies out to 75 odd yards, some people can stretch it further! I wouldn't go for the .17, as they are noisier and more expensive, though they do buy you a few extra yards range.

I'd say there's only one way to know if you'll get your certs, and that's to apply! Get the forms in and let us know how you get on! (N.B. you have nothing to lose, as if they don't issue, they refund the fee)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it all seems good then as i have plently of suitable places for my gun cabinet to be mounted and also have a safe to hold ammuntion in. I'm in Cumbria, so do you think they will be a bit more hesitant with all the Derek bird carry on? As for mentoring i know an experienced shooting man but what does it involve exactly? thanks jake

Jake, sounds like you should be ok, of course I can't answer for the vagaries of your individual force area. As far as I know there's been no change in the licencing conditions since the Bird incident, so it shouldn't impact your application. I live just down the road from Hungerford, so I can understand the concern.

As for "mentoring" basically avoid it if at all possible. Basically it would mean that you would have a condition on your FAC stating that the rifle could only be used "under the supervision of [named person]". Depends on the force as to what is suitable to end the mentoring condition. Some just require a note from the mentor saying you are safe and competent, whereas others want full information about each outing, that's to be avoided at all costs, there's no reason for them to set overly restrictive conditions like that!

I'd say get on with it, download the forms, get your references filled in and send it off, the worst that can happen is they say no after all!

I have just been granted a fac air rifle, 22 rimmy and a 22 hornet on my first application. The only thing I was worried about was lack of experiance so I went out a few times with a friend and gave his name as a referance to the fire arms officer that came out to interview me. My mate got a phonecall to confirm I had been going out with him and I handled the rifle safely and that was it. It only took about a month from start to finish.

Go for it I say, its not as scary as some people seem to make out.

A .22 rimfire would be ideal for bunny bashing.

Good luck