Crossbow energy

I'm probably wrong but I think Bullets kill by tranfering energy generated through speed from itself into the target like a shockwave, but Arrows/bolts act more like a weighted knife, using it's heavy weight and sharp edges to slice through the target and you don't need much energy to put a knife through the skin of an animal.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello All -   I'm a bowhunter from the US. Bullmastiff is absolutely right. The main principle behind killing with an arrow is making a fast, clean cut in the right place.   An 80lb (draw weight

All edged weapons,knife,spear or broadhead in the case of hunting arrows kill by heamorrage (blood loss)unless the spinal cord is severed.That is why in bowhunting the kill area is heart/lungs.Recurve hunting bows can be as low as 40lb(the weight you pull back with your fingers)but still have no problems with penetration due to arrow weight.Due to the cam mechanism a compound bow is easier to shoot for a first time bowhunter,hope this helps.

All edged weapons,knife,spear or broadhead in the case of hunting arrows kill by heamorrage (blood loss)unless the spinal cord is severed.That is why in bowhunting the kill area is heart/lungs.Recurve hunting bows can be as low as 40lb(the weight you pull back with your fingers)but still have no problems with penetration due to arrow weight.Due to the cam mechanism a compound bow is easier to shoot for a first time bowhunter,hope this helps.

Good info Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All -

I'm a bowhunter from the US. Bullmastiff is absolutely right. The main principle behind killing with an arrow is making a fast, clean cut in the right place.

An 80lb (draw weight) bow is pretty heavy. Some states have different minimum requirements. Where I live your bow has to have a min 35lb draw, and shoot an arrow with a min of 1.25inch diameter. My bow is currently set to 58lbs.

If you are going to hunt with a bow, you MUST spend a serious amount of time in an archey range learning how to properly shoot. You need to learn how to expertly stalk an animal. A beginner bow hunter shouldn't be attempting a shot of anything more than 20 meters.

But if you practice enough, and spend a lot of time learning about proper shot placement, and keep your arrows * VERY * sharp, you can shoot a whitetail deer and sometimes they won't even know they were hit. Then might run 10 meters, calm down a bit, then just continue eating like nothing happened, then die. But a poor shot with dull broadheads can make for a very unpleasant time for both you and the deer.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi lads was talking to a mate of mine who moved over to the states. He says people shoot small game with a crossbow with 80lb draw. That dose not sound much! They even shoot foxs with it! Is it just me or is this way underpowerd. If im wrong please correct me.

Thanks PH1

P.S the reason i put this in this section is i am sure some of you will bow hunt deer.

I think i'm seeing a little bit of confusion here. You're asking about crossbows, correct? I've been hunting deer and black bears with crossbows for nearly 30 years now. I've never seen a crossbow with a draw weight as low as 80lbs. That would be a toy. Most are in the range of 150 to 175lbs draw weight. A compound bow would be more in the range of 50lbs to 80lbs for hunting. Either has more than enough power to kill large game. At ranges under 30 yards the arrow will pass right through the animal be it a large deer (300lbs) or a Bear. This will leave a very clear blood trail if you hit the animal in the chest cavity. Bow huting is all about getting close and making an accurate shot to the vitals of the animal. Shot placement is parmount! With correct arrow placement the deer will be dead in less than 30 seconds and should travel no further than say 100yards with a perfect double lung shot.

Bill Troubridge, developer of Excalibur Crossbows killed a bull Elephant with a crossbow. Check out their site for the video.

• 8 months later...

Blood loss on a white tail buck from a rage broadhead.You dont need a massive poundage for bowhunting,places like Minnesota have a legal minimum of 30 pound minimum for hunting,but as has already been stated totally illegal in UK.