wool purse nets

i might get some flack for this post :icon_redface: but my mate made some nets from hi viz orange wool from a knitting shop for an experiment and they have been great. wool costs about £2 or 2 bundles and he has made 18 nets from these. they have got soaked through and dried out fine and caught loads of rabbits now with no problems and been high viz are easy to see in the corner of your eye or in the brambles. has anyone used wool as a purse net material?

• Like 1

Hi mate

Never tried or know anyone who has tried wool to make nets, but i can imagine they get snagged on brambles & twigs more than hemp nylon or poly nets.

Cant imagine them being as strong as the materials used today either, also they probably hold more moisture than poly or nylon, but personally i woudnt use them

But if they work for him then great,& saving a bit of money on the wool aswell :thumbs:

atb nic

i might get some flack for this post :icon_redface: but my mate made some nets from hi viz orange wool from a knitting shop for an experiment and they have been great. wool costs about £2 or 2 bundles and he has made 18 nets from these. they have got soaked through and dried out fine and caught loads of rabbits now with no problems and been high viz are easy to see in the corner of your eye or in the brambles. has anyone used wool as a purse net material?

Never used wool for purse nets, didn't think it would be strong enough .

But they seem to be working for him...so good enough :thumbs:

Couldn't get him to knock us up a couple pair of bed sox could you? my feet are freezing these cold nights :D:D:D

• Like 1

Hi mate

Never tried or know anyone who has tried wool to make nets, but i can imagine they get snagged on brambles & twigs more than hemp nylon or poly nets.

Cant imagine them being as strong as the materials used today either, also they probably hold more moisture than poly or nylon, but personally i woudnt use them

But if they work for him then great,& saving a bit of money on the wool aswell :thumbs:

atb nic

cheers matey so far they have been fine with brambles and under the gorse bushes with no escapees yet and they haven't tangled with twigs and thorns more than hemp or spun poly either. we have done 4 sessions with them now in rain and dry and i waited before posting this topic and embarrassing myself if it became a failure. but 18 nets for £2 worth of material and rings from knackered old nets if we get one season from them its worth it, maybe more seasons judging from what iv seen from them so far :thumbs:

Never used wool for purse nets, didn't think it would be strong enough .

But they seem to be working for him...so good enough :thumbs:

Couldn't get him to knock us up a couple pair of bed sox could you? my feet are freezing these cold nights :D:D:D

:laugh:

In the early days i used to knock nets up with whatever i could get and they mostly worked well for a while but i moved on to hemp and then spun but whatever works and catches rabbits .Ive still got hemp nets made with brass ,bronze washers and they still get a outing

Guest rexdigger

i work in a mill that dyes wool for carpet production from time to time we get wool nylon mixed yarn 80/20 once its dyed and after treated its great for nets i get it for some of my mates to make nets out of for free well not quite for free as i get them to make me a couple of fox nets when i need them never tried just wool alone for nets though :hmm:

Yep i have a couple of nets made out of wool like material.

They are made out of man made fibre but you would think they were wool.

Best nets i have by far.

They are completly rot proof,and a joy to handle in any situation.

I was also thinking about taking one of the nets to a good wool shop to see if they could match the material used in their making.

Thanks for reminding me :thumbs: