cleaning and preserving skulls

If youdo it right in the first place you dont need bleach.

Skin it, cut it, boil it then power wash it.

Ive done HUNDREDS and never used bleach yet.

and if you hit the antler with power washer you'll take the browning of them and fook them

bleach for me all the way

And if you get bleach on the horns you will f**k them.

If you really want to use this method I have seen people soak cotton wool buds in Potassium Permanganate then place on the skull.

If youdo it right in the first place you dont need bleach.

Skin it, cut it, boil it then power wash it.

Ive done HUNDREDS and never used bleach yet.

and if you hit the antler with power washer you'll take the browning of them and fook them

bleach for me all the way

And if you get bleach on the horns you will f**k them.

If you really want to use this method I have seen people soak cotton wool buds in Potassium Permanganate then place on the skull.

i always make sure the antlers are sitting in the pot with the antlers on the rim of the pot so they will not move then slowly pour the bleach in

this is the way i was shown and it always brought my antlers out minted so i will stick to it

everyones methods are different and whatever gets the job done is all the matters :thumbs:

dont use household bleach it does something with the bone (i think weakens it) peroxide is best 10% if you can get it skin the head put it in a pan with water and soda crystals up to the bottom of the corronates boil for 20 mins NOT IN THE HOUSE IT F***ING STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then start peeling the meat off it takes a while when all the meat is off and the brain out wrap the skull not horn in a bandage and pour the peroxide onto the bandage keep it wet leave for 24hrs head done then dry it out

dont use household bleach it does something with the bone (i think weakens it) peroxide is best 10% if you can get it skin the head put it in a pan with water and soda crystals up to the bottom of the corronates boil for 20 mins NOT IN THE HOUSE IT F***ING STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then start peeling the meat off it takes a while when all the meat is off and the brain out wrap the skull not horn in a bandage and pour the peroxide onto the bandage keep it wet leave for 24hrs head done then dry it out

good advise there tim only thing I would say is if you are not going to cut the skull it would be easier to take the brainout before boiling I do it by putting a hose pipe in the hole where the skull joint onto the spine then switch on water

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blimey, I think I've gone about it the wrong way.

I've had a couple of skulls buried in the garden for about 9 months now, the one was skinned but the other one wasn't. Do you think they'll be all right to dig up now?

I've never done it before you see, so any help would be appreciated.