Spring air rifle shooting.

Just a bit of info that both me and Davy were told by Tony Wall this Saturday just gone when we went to visit him regarding springers.

I informed him that now I will be moving down south (towards Swindon way) after Christmas due to my new job that I have now been offered that I was seriously thinking about joining the Southern Hunters series HFT circuit and car sharing with Davy.

I said that I wanted to compete in the .22 calibre class and asked him (Tony Wall) if he was to advise on ANY springer in the world to use what would it be.

Interestingly enough I was expecting him to say a stage 2 tuned HW97KT, TX200, HW77 or a Pro Sport but he didn't. His answer was a SFS tuned HW98 in .22.

Apparently this rifle only needs to be tuned to stage 1 with some of Tony's magic touch and it shoots better than you could ever imagine.

The lock time isn't as fast as the stage 2 tuned HW97KT but the recoil is less for some reason and Tony can get this rifle to be as accurate as a top end pcp if the shooter does his / her part.

Both me and Davy shouldered one after Tony had customised it to our faces etc using the adjustable stock and it felt like part of my own body. So nice and the perfect weight for what I like in a rifle.

Guess what my next new rifle is going to be?

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen.   This is a case for the oldest, noblest and, in my humble opinion, the finest sporting air rifle type of all. The spring-piston powered air rifle. Yes, PCPs are accurate; som

Great post!!   I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill

Another photo.

Posted Images

Just a bit of info that both me and Davy were told by Tony Wall this Saturday just gone when we went to visit him regarding springers.

I informed him that now I will be moving down south (towards Swindon way) after Christmas due to my new job that I have now been offered that I was seriously thinking about joining the Southern Hunters series HFT circuit and car sharing with Davy.

I said that I wanted to compete in the .22 calibre class and asked him (Tony Wall) if he was to advice on ANY springer in the world to use what would it be.

Interestingly enough I was expecting him to say a stage 2 tuned HW97KT, TX200, HW77 or a Pro Sport but he didn't. His answer was a SFS tuned HW98 in .22.

Apparently this rifle only needs to be tuned to stage 1 with some of Tony's magic touch and it shoots better than you could ever imagine.

The lock time isn't as fast as the stage 2 tuned HW97KT but the recoil is less for some reason and Tony can get this rifle to be as accurate as a top end pcp if the shooter does his / her part.

Both me and Davy shouldered one after Tony had customised it to our faces etc using the adjustable stock and it felt like part of my own body. So nice and the perfect weight for what I like in a rifle.

Guess what my next new rifle is going to be?

Si.

Hi Si, I've heard they're just an HW95K with a barrel shroud and adjustable stock. The shroud makes them quite a bit heavier. Jim Tyler has an article about this in October's AGW. He comments that many people put their HW95 into a HW98 adjustable stock to get a good fit in the shoulder without the additional weight of the shroud. I do quite like the bull barrel look myself though.

Hope you're well mate

Hi Elliot, yes I think your right buddy. I have also heard its a 95 with a shroud and different stock.

It doesn't surprise me really as the 95 is so nice to shoot once tuned and the added weight from the shroud would really assist in cancelling out any muzzle flip from the firing action hence giving the rifle added accuracy.

I cant comment any more on it yet till Feb buddy but I will do a full report once I get it.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

Si you are going to love the HW98. :yes:

As it is, a much an underestimated rifle with so many opting for the HW95, on which it is based. Maybe it's the Bull Barrel or slatted and adjustable stock that puts people off. I don't know. But.....It's a Weihrauch....so no real surprises how good it's going to be. I'm seriously going to add one to my collection after shooting with a .22 version recently. I felt then, this would make a worthwhile, competition-standard air rifle if it could be refined and tuned beyond the factory's finishing. I guess I have my answer here!

Best wishes.

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

Si you are going to love the HW98. :yes:

As it is, a much an underestimated rifle with so many opting for the HW95, on which it is based. Maybe it's the Bull Barrel or slatted and adjustable stock that puts people off. I don't know. But.....It's a Weihrauch....so no real surprises how good it's going to be. I'm seriously going to add one to my collection after shooting with a .22 version recently. I felt then, this would make a worthwhile, competition-standard air rifle if it could be refined and tuned beyond the factory's finishing. I guess I have my answer here!

Best wishes.

Simon

Thanks Simon. That is good to know.

I'm not sure what more than the stage 1 tune Tony does on the HW98 (he is sometimes very secretive and holds his cards close to his chest) but we (me and Davy) were assured that what ever he does, as a competition spring piston rifle, its the best that any rifle could be and is his choice over any other springer in the world :yes: .

This coming from a man of his knowledge and status is something that I tend to believe so I'm going to go with his suggestion and purchase one for myself.

Asked about the best springer he would suggest to go solely hunting with he and John his gunsmith said the Sandwell Field Sports tuned and customised Banshee MK 2. This yet again is a rifle that started life as a HW95K but then evolved into something of beauty and purpose with a highly tuned action and some other special Tony Wall treatment (yet again secret). It also comes with a walnut lovely stock and custom SFS silencer fitted. Davy tried it at the shoulder in Sandwell Field Sports and fell in love with it.

Ill try and post a photo of one off Google.

Si.

post-2627-0-53106300-1350995629_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-75228500-1350995633_thumb.jpg

post-2627-0-39795900-1350995670_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini
  • Like 2

thats a beautiful looking airgun and no mistake, i think the mk1 had a tyrolean stock and it looked equally stunning. i'd love something like this using an 80 action for a little bit more weight myself!

oh, and my gunshop mate had a 98 and was getting great results in .177 with it. i wont mention that he's chopped it in for a walnut pr sport...

cheers, wurz

• Like 2

Dear Roger.

That is such kindness and generosity of spirit from you. Thank you sir. I can do a few things alright and I try to be the best I can be at them! Painting air combat and classic aircraft and shooting are my lifeworks. And my work as a professional sessions keyboards musician -hence my handle. All keep me actively young!

I'll write a book on spring air rifle shooting and hunting one day not so far away and that will be my retirement work! (What retirement??!!!)

As long as you have a quality spring air rifle, good scope and a tin of appropriate ammo, a person will never be without something they can just get hold of and go shooting by field and woodland, moor and stream! :yes:

Is there anything better anyone can have?

Best wishes Roger.

Simon.

Hi Si.

Thanks for posting up these pictures of an honestly stunning air rifle!

That SWFS Banshee looks a work of art. Davy my compliments mate, it look absolutely beautiful. You must be a very proud man and rightly so. I'm a great believer that every man who cares about, and has given so much to shooting and his knowledge shared on the subject, deserves a fine rifle like this.

I remember from years ago how Sandwell were always producing stunningly beautiful, tuned versions of Wiehrauch spring rifles with some fabulous custom made stocks. Looking at these pictures, I thank God he made me a spring rifle shooter. I must treat myself to one before I'm much older :thumbs:

Again; beautiful rifle Davy. And thank you Si for sharing this treasure with us here.

Best wishes.

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 3

First of all thank's Simon for a great initial post. An inspiration to springer fans of all skill levels. If you fill a book with stuff as well written and as passionate. I for one would want a copy.

Secondly it is very interesting Tony would choose a tuned 98 as the best springer on the planet. Some time ago I spoke to Sol and during the conversation about HW95's I suggested selling mine to go for a 97 the answer was the 95 in Sol's opinion is just as accurate.

Most of you have seen my 95 in the 98 stock and I have tried various weights in the silencer to achieve the balance of the shrouded 98.A las I have never shot a 98 so cannot compare directly.

One thing I do know is the 98 stock feels very old school at first and the stippling is very rough to the touch, I think these combined features and maybe the asthetics have put a lot of prospective buyers off. Once the stock is ajusted you soon get used to the feel as normal. I am re-learning springer shooting again and even I have posted 3 contacting pellet holes at 50 yards shame the other two in the group expand the group to just over an inch. The gun is certainly different and I like that a lot. Maybe I will make a shroud and compare groups.

Thanks Si for those pics. of a stunning springer.

Interested to see how this thread pans out.

Steve

Edited by HW 96.5
  • Like 1

Thank you Steve, Airgunguy and jjm

I do love my spring rifles more than any other rifle type. And I just started out with the simple notion that a lot of people were running away with the mistaken belief in the myth that a spring rifle is inferior in accuracy to a PCP rifle. There is a great deal to be said for both PCPs and Springers; but neither are in any way an inferior shooting device.

You just have to know how to shoot with 'em! :thumbs:

All the best gentlemen.

Simon

First of all thank's Simon for a great initial post. An inspiration to springer fans of all skill levels. If you fill a book with stuff as well written and as passionate. I for one would want a copy.

Secondly it is very interesting Tony would choose a tuned 98 as the best springer on the planet. Some time ago I spoke to Sol and during the conversation about HW95's I suggested selling mine to go for a 97 the answer was the 95 in Sol's opinion is just as accurate.

Most of you have seen my 95 in the 98 stock and I have tried various weights in the silencer to achieve the balance of the shrouded 98.A las I have never shot a 98 so cannot compare directly.

One thing I do know is the 98 stock feels very old school at first and the stippling is very rough to the touch, I think these combined features and maybe the asthetics have put a lot of prospective buyers off. Once the stock is ajusted you soon get used to the feel as normal. I am re-learning springer shooting again and even I have posted 3 contacting pellet holes at 50 yards shame the other two in the group expand the group to just over an inch. The gun is certainly different and I like that a lot. Maybe I will make a shroud and compare groups.

Thanks Si for those pics. of a stunning springer.

Interested to see how this thread pans out.

Steve

Hi mate,

Yeah Ive spoke to Soi a few times too. I suppose every one as their own opinions and one man's rubbish is another man's treasure as they say.

Dont forget that I asked Tony about the best springer for comp shooting i.e FT or HFT and the HW98 was his answer, for hunting it was a SFS Banshee (original HW95).

I think the HW95 is the rifle that Tony can do and get the best results from as I know he rates them very highly as do I after owning 2 or 3 of them in the past.

I'm at SFS in a week or so again mate filming and reviewing a new product called Microlon with Tony and the MD of Microlon Europe Mr Stuart Crane. Ill try and let you know the exact date pal and maybe we can meet up for a chat in the shop.

Si.