Spring air rifle shooting.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen.   This is a case for the oldest, noblest and, in my humble opinion, the finest sporting air rifle type of all. The spring-piston powered air rifle. Yes, PCPs are accurate; som

Great post!!   I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill

Another photo.

Posted Images

Hello Simon

Just wanted to add my 'pennuth worth' in congratulating you on a brilliantly constructed concise and informative article. Having only recently joined the forum (one of the aims of which was to gain from the experience of others in improving my shooting) and having read the entire pinned thread I realise how fortunate I am to have come across group of people so enthusiastic in their appreciation and love of a section of a chosen sport. The willingness to offer help and advice as well as practical hands on assistance to others who's only connection (initially) is a mutual love of shooting is inspirational in these times of 'chasing the £ on the clock'.

I am new to air rifle shooting (other than a few springers back in the 70's Relum Tornado/ BSA Airsporter etc) but have done a fair bit of rifle shooting at 762 and 556 but am having to relearn much of what I mistakenly believed could be applied. Your excellent post has drawn me to look at both the hold and breathing in getting my groups tighter.

I have just got myself a 97KT as I wanted the challenge of a Springer, and as soon as I get to grips with it and the different aim off/firing positions I want to get into HFT/FT and a bit of hunting.

So Simon thank you once again in instigating such a rich thread that encouraged so much input from so many. I hope I can give as much as I will no doubt receive by being part of this Forum.

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Brilliantly said Simon .......nice to here that as I have a 99s which I am going to have tunes etc......and was looking for my next gun....was looking at all the great pcps like ultra/rm8/hw100 etc etc......but now have decided to keep with spring, and therefore can I get your advice and anyone else on here who wants to add, I hope Davey and Si too (vermin-hunters) with their fantastic knowledge and experience ----- what would be your choice between the TX 200, LGU, 97KT, ???

• Like 1

Hi.......i live on the glos/worc border.....new member......i have a 99s and want to know if anyone has the same or similar and whether i should buy one of those multi-fit silencers...ie do they work?? or should i get it threaded so i can fit a weihrach one ???

I am also looking for rat/rabbit control work in my area if anyone need help with this??

cheers

• Like 1

Brilliantly said Simon .......nice to here that as I have a 99s which I am going to have tunes etc......and was looking for my next gun....was looking at all the great pcps like ultra/rm8/hw100 etc etc......but now have decided to keep with spring, and therefore can I get your advice and anyone else on here who wants to add, I hope Davey and Si too (vermin-hunters) with their fantastic knowledge and experience ----- what would be your choice between the TX 200, LGU, 97KT, ???

Try all three and decide for yourself which one feels right for you obywon.

In the summer, I shot with a .177 TX200HC belonging to Philpot here on my 35-metre garden range. I'm totally left-handed and his gun is a righthanded model. Yet, I put a good five or six pellets right into the same single pellet hole of the first shot with it. Amazing to gel with a right-handed rifle that well within a few shots to zero her in.

I would definitely consider a TX200HC for myself after that experience alone :thumbs:

Many thanks for reading Obywon!

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi.......i live on the glos/worc border.....new member......i have a 99s and want to know if anyone has the same or similar and whether i should buy one of those multi-fit silencers...ie do they work?? or should i get it threaded so i can fit a weihrach one ???

I am also looking for rat/rabbit control work in my area if anyone need help with this??

cheers

Hey obywon. you allready have a little bueaty of a gun with the 99, it would be well worth getting it tuned and barrel shortened/screw cut. My 99 barrel is 10.5 inches and still compact with a mod fitted. If you go for the shorten/screw cut route I'll send you an as new Edgar brothers moderator as fitted to an imp. Pm me your address if you want it and I'll get it posted off to you FOC.
  • Like 2

cheers

Hey obywon. you allready have a little bueaty of a gun with the 99, it would be well worth getting it tuned and barrel shortened/screw cut. My 99 barrel is 10.5 inches and still compact with a mod fitted. If you go for the shorten/screw cut route I'll send you an as new Edgar brothers moderator as fitted to an imp. Pm me your address if you want it and I'll get it posted off to you FOC.

Thanks very much mate.....exactly the advice I needed....as I didn't want to fit one of those multi fit ones to it..... is that 10.5 over all or with silencer off? did you do the tread yourself or a gun shop? / as I have just been quoted £80 to do it.....? can I send you few quid for it?

Edited by obywon

In the summer, I shot with a .177 TX200HC belonging to Philpot here on my 35-metre garden range. I'm totally left-handed and his gun is a righthanded model. Yet, I put a good five or six pellets right into the same single pellet hole of the first shot with it. Amazing to gel with a right-handed rifle that well within a few shots to zero her in.

I would definitely consider a TX200HC for myself after that experience alone :thumbs:

Simon.

Thanks very much simon......I have a 99s which I don't want to put one of those multi-fit silencers to...so going to get it threaded so I can put good one on.....,just been quoted £80...............that will be my back up gun.....any advice on the best one to buy? will be great

Simon.

Thanks very much simon......I have a 99s which I don't want to put one of those multi-fit silencers to...so going to get it threaded so I can put good one on.....,just been quoted £80...............that will be my back up gun.....any advice on the best one to buy? will be great

£80 to screwcut an airgun is taking the mick. I had a rimfire shortened, screwcut and crowned for £60. Ask around before forking out that kind of money.

No its ok if you pm me your address I'll post it Saturday morning. Barrel cut to 10.5 not inclung mod. 80 quid is extortionate last time I had one done it was 40 pounds but that was about 5 years ago so deffinately worth ringing round!

If it was I'd I'd go for the screw cut/shorten and then strip polish and fit a tbt drop in kit.

Edit. Pm sent.

WOOOAAHH! Hold on to your cash and heed the good advice here obywon. A silencer on ANY spring rifle is really not worth the expense for how little difference there is to muffling the muzzle crack. They can't do a thing to silence the spring piston action being released on the trigger.

And nothing can be done to soften the thwack of a pellet hitting a rabbit's skull. :hmm:

• Like 1

No its ok if you pm me your address I'll post it Saturday morning. Barrel cut to 10.5 not inclung mod. 80 quid is extortionate last time I had one done it was 40 pounds but that was about 5 years ago so deffinately worth ringing round!

If it was I'd I'd go for the screw cut/shorten and then strip polish and fit a tbt drop in kit.

Edit. Pm sent.

thanks again....I have sent address but because im new all mail has to go through moderators.....ill send again just in case got lost ....s Collins,3 Coventry close, Tewkesbury, gl205hr .......oh and what is a tbt drop in kit ?