Spring air rifle shooting.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen.   This is a case for the oldest, noblest and, in my humble opinion, the finest sporting air rifle type of all. The spring-piston powered air rifle. Yes, PCPs are accurate; som

Great post!!   I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill

Another photo.

Posted Images

Just out of interest,

Is there any difference in accuracy between the standard and carbine models of the HW80s. Its got me thinking if there is i might consider buying a full length beast and tune it keeping it below 12ft/lbs.

I keep looking at all these fancy looking air rifles on guntrader but can't see past these 80s, a bit obsessed perhaps.

Atb Chris.

Hi Chris

Nope!

Both are equally as accurate. That said, I have a full-length FAC tuned HW80 with a venomtech long slimline silencer on it and it's a phenominally accurate rifle. More accurate than other HW80s I've tried. It's not the power, the barrel was made by a craftsman who was in a bloody good mood I think.

It is an HW80 that's one in a million. If all I was left to hunt with, was my HW77 sub-12 ft/lb .22 and HW80 FAC .22. I would still be a highly delighted man

Simon

• Like 1

Nice one,

Cheers Simon, i've been looking at the 77s as well.

Do you guys know of any proffessional or expert tuners in the North East of Scotland?

Might have a word with my local gunshop about getting a rifle sent south.

I've read about some of the expert down south but can't make my mind up, anyone in particular.

I'm looking for a sub 12 Weihrauch fully tuned.

Atb Chris.

• Like 1

Brilliant post Simon. I have come back to shooting after a nigh on 8 years break. Have used springers for 40 years with a short time with an Alros PCP about 1996. Got my self an SMK XS19 .22 that has been resprung etc with a tune up kit from Woodfield Gun care Products. Shoots like a dream now at 11.4 foot pounds using RWS Super Domes. I must admit to liking the looks of some of the PCP's out there but I prefer a springer.

Keep up the great posts buddy:)

John

Simon excellent post, only a newbie to the site ,but this his what i love to read the words of a man that no's his gun .I have been practising with a couple of rifles and my old webley vulcan as seen off any rats that's come into its sights and a mink the other day. A local farmer i no keeps say saying see some of them woodies and rabbits off , I fancy going shooting for the pot but i would like to change my rifle for something that i can depend on doing the job right at all distance's. And it would have to be a second hand rifle unless things change. What would you say to look out for in a springer model wise. I reckon i still have a good eye for my age, And i would look forward to hopfully getting the right rifle as it would be my last but i would like to get the bond right . And i would look forward to building a good team to keep me happy for the next few years together. And i would also like you to put a post up on scopes that go with the rifle for the right job and zeroing a scope.. Thanks for any help giving and anybody with some good advice lookward to reading them. Going looking for some more very intresting posts like this ,Good luck in the furture hope you get your aim...cheers

Edited by boropiker

Hi boropiker and welcome here mate.

Nothing wrong with the dear old vulcan! I had one back in the day and a fantastic rat and rabbit rifle it was. However, things have moved on a bit since the heydays of Webley as a great British gunmaker!!!! Other guys will have their favourites but here's mine to be going on with.

Wiehrauch HW95 is a beautifully made and accurate little break-barrel. HW80 full length model has all the heft and power for hide and static hunting. HW80K is a shorter alternative and makes perfect sense for all situations.

For underlever rifles, Wiehrauch HW77, HW97, Air Arms Pro Sport, Air Arms TX200 series are world class air rifles and there's some good secondhand deals for all these are out there.

Calibre is perfectly down to you, they are all brilliant whichever you choose.

All the best and thanks for the kind compliments boropiker!

Simon

Hi Simon..

Thank's for the welcome and the addvice, My vulcan has still got a good punch and it was serviced not long ago and the lad said it has got some power in it cannot remember if it was just under 11lb or just over. I have made my mind up and reckon i will save up and get a good s/h.. Hw80 as i do like break barrels myself. I'm a bit to noisey with the under lever models i no when i had one when their first started getting about... , so its my aim to hopfully become a owner of a Hw80 looked after and been put together and made into a good rig..And i will carry on useing it in the field work i wish to do. Once again Simon keep writeing these good postings and go in for the rifle competition's ....cheers

Edited by boropiker
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Simon,

thanks for the great post, it was very informative and helpful.

I was torn between getting a pcp for hunting but now I think I'll stick to my gut instict and stick with a good springer.

Thanks once again.

Jason.

• Like 1