Hi everyone.

Last Friday my dog was running along a track and appeared to be running fine. When I got back to the house he lay in front of the fire as normal, however when I got up to feed him he limped and wouldn't put any weight on his front right paw. I gave him a day of rest but it didn't seem to be any better so took him to the vet on Saturday evening - they said that if it wasn't significantly better by Monday then I should take him in for an x-ray. However it has healed up well I think,he longer limps and seems to run okay but occasionally hops a bit. If I apply moderate pressure to the foot he will whine slightly. SO I'm not sure if it has healed.

Do you think I should take him to a vet or just run him gently till it gets better ?

Any advice thanked.

T

dont think running him lightly will help...

If its not broken it may be a knocked toe...

Pictures would be helpful... put some pictures up ..

Save your money and lay the dog off for a good 3-4 weeks..

could just be a bang then...

just lead walk it for a week or so...

If its still hopping after that I would not run it till its back on four legs..

Sounds like nothing to worrie about to much,I woulg skip the vet they will charge for consultation and xray and then tell you just to rest it...

Broken toe: 6-9 weeks to heal if it is not a displaced fracture.

Damaged ligaments as in a toe that has been dislocated and gone back into place: at least 6 weeks on lead plus embrocation such as Zeng Gu Shui or Bone Radiol or similar.

If the dog whines when you press the toe THAT MEANS IT IS NOT HEALED.

Only person to tell you for sure what the problem is will be a Greyhound vet: usually cheaper than bog standard pet vets.

Broken toe: 6-9 weeks to heal if it is not a displaced fracture.

Damaged ligaments as in a toe that has been dislocated and gone back into place: at least 6 weeks on lead plus embrocation such as Zeng Gu Shui or Bone Radiol or similar.

If the dog whines when you press the toe THAT MEANS IT IS NOT HEALED.

Only person to tell you for sure what the problem is will be a Greyhound vet: usually cheaper than bog standard pet vets.

1st thing is get some ice ina bucket of cold water stand paw in it for 5mins every 8 hours or as near thats convienient for you for 48hrs then rub a linament into area at least twice a day when no pain gently flex toes,as i cant see the injury icant say how long for but keep on a lead when u think its better give it another 2 weeks,if u know someone with a magnetapulse box all the better,best of luck.

Once wrote an article in the CW about a bitch I had, and that she at 8 years old had never been off the road through an injury, and low and below a jumped toe :thumbdown: shortly after that aricle was printed..should have kept my mouth shut. Ive seen many dogs in my time with broken or jumped toes, but have only ever had 2 dogs in 35 years before that which had jumped toes, both where left off work for a good period of time, sprayed with a spirit linament etc. etc etc. These dogs were young too, so their cell pack volume meant that injuries should heal quicker..but they were never the same, especially on the turns..I got Yellas front inside problem toe taken off, she was off the road for less than eight weeks and she had no more trouble for the rest of her life with it, she worked thill she was 13 (albeit) in lesser proportions than when she was younger. I can honestly say that I saw no noticeable difference in her performance, she was always very tight when turning, and this was no less after her operation.

Moral of the story is; if you do eventually have to get a dogs toe off its not the end of the world. And, that sometimes the time off work can be more with the treatment for a jumped toe..If your a part timer or a one for the pot man then this might be ok, but if your someone who grafts your dogs, then "Off with its toe"

total rest for a week not as if the dogs going to need to be raceing fit with this weather :thumbs:

Aweek!! you having a laugh.... get it to a working dog vet. Whats the point of asking on here... you will get answers like the one above mate.

A week sick note will do it the world of good...NOT :wallbash:

total rest for a week not as if the dogs going to need to be raceing fit with this weather :thumbs:

Aweek!! you having a laugh.... get it to a working dog vet. Whats the point of asking on here... you will get answers like the one above mate.

A week sick note will do it the world of good...NOT :wallbash:

exactly romany, i am sure that some people on here, just say things for the sake of it, and have never even wittnessed or practised what they are preaching!

nice one ..not hey did you get a magic wand for christmas !

lol... it really is beyond me, some of the advice given. The thing is, they wont even read this again, they just move on to another topic, and say something just as crazxy..... how are ya anyway pal??

nice one ..not hey did you get a magic wand for christmas !

lol... it really is beyond me, some of the advice given. The thing is, they wont even read this again, they just move on to another topic, and say something just as crazxy..... how are ya anyway pal??

im ok big fella apart from the chuffin flu ! itll be right ! good luck :thumbs:

Edited by riohog