Photography Project

Made myself a wired remote shutter release with plugable leads (2 mtr and 15 mtr) to try and get some close up pictures of the Finches on our bird table, then I remembered an article I had read about using walkie-talkies for a wireless shutter release. I dug out a couple of old Binatone units, added a relay into one and it works spot on.

Wired

463745.JPG

Wireless

463744.JPG

surely when yee shout the other radio............. the birds here it to n fly off.......... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

seriously though............ can you explain more in detail.. thanks,

donks.

OK here goes, I had a prod around on the cct board of the receiving unit with an oscilloscope (multimeter would have worked) looking for a connection that went from 0 volts to 3.6 volts when the transmitter unit is keyed, you dont have to talk into the transmitter. Connected up to the coil of a minature 5v relay that I happen to know will switch at 3v. Drilled a hole in the case, ran a cable through and connected up to the relay 'normally open' connections. Just about managed to get the case back together with the relay inside to make it neat and tidy. Turned of the 'Roger Bleep' on the transmitter so I dont scare the birds away! you could disconnect the speaker as well. Should work over a fair distance, not that I would leave my new camera too far away!

Was it........cheep.......to set up :victory:

Seriously, what is the range on the infra-red remotes, would that not do it.........I have it for self take photography at fishing (& GAYDAR :D ) and find it excellent.........you can get them on EOS cant you?

J

Just looked...its only 5m on mine....Ill get me coat.......