West Texas Deer

Fishdaughter and I go on a couple hunts each year.

These were from last weekend.

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

A little more than 100 yards from her blind.

IMG_9171.jpg

She does her own field dressing.

Deer weighed 125 lbs. You can see the exit hole there behind the shoulder.

IMG_9177.jpg

Entrance (left), exit (right).

.243 is a very good deer round.

100 grain Remington Core-Lokt.

IMG_9327.jpg

It was a very successful weekend.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

It's great to se a young girl getting her hands dirty,and a good job done too! I use .243cal Remington core-lokt through my Remmy 700 and am very happy with them as you are,keep it up and plenty more pics please.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see something bit different mate .Good shooting there too .I take it thats a feeder with the deer underneath but what food is in it? .Does it make much difference to antler growth or is it just an attractant?.I guess in that heat ,its straight home and butcher !

Thanks for everyone's kind comments.

I very much enjoy reading your accounts of deer hunts and seeing the pics.

Great to see something bit different mate .Good shooting there too .I take it thats a feeder with the deer underneath but what food is in it? .Does it make much difference to antler growth or is it just an attractant?.I guess in that heat ,its straight home and butcher !

Corn feeder used to bait them in for selective/humane harvest. Illegal in some areas of TX and other states.

We stuff a 20lb bag of ice in the body cavity and wrap'em in a tarp until we get to the processor.

doesn't look very sporting, but each to their own

A couple things:

1. This hunt was more about management and meat than sporting. We've got a lot of deer here. The farmer down the road has two miles of deer fencing to keep them out of his wheat and cotton. My annual hunting/fishing license ($68) allows me to shoot five whitetail deer and two mule deer in addition to other game.

2. This property is so rough and thick with thorny vegetation that stalking and recovery would be very low percentage. See where the stand is located in relation to the feeder. It's impossible to walk straight down (120 yards). We had to loop around on a dirt track (1 mile) to recover the deer. You've got to worry about all the goddamned rattlesnakes too!

Cheers,

Mark