Dangerous dogs

Hi guys,

I’ve never done this sort of thing before, but I needed a vent at someone (well some people) who won’t just look back at me like I’m from Mars :blink: I just had a most “interesting†conversation with a lady I know, who happens to breed and show Dobermans.

She just so happened to mention about the recent PBT hysteria, and the witch hunt death squads currently making the rounds. I actually thought she was talking sense for a moment, as the conversation started like this:

(her) “Yes, it’s ridiculous. Some people in any breed just breed for the money and mix any two dogs together so long as they’re a dog and a bitch. No wonder we have so many problems with dangerous dogs. People just don’t know what they are buying sometimes with big/strong dogs – the breeders don’t care to say a word about handling or training so long as they get paid.â€

So far so good. I’m nodding and murmuring my agreement down the phone. Then…

“So yes, it’s a good thing those pit bulls are being collected and gassed really isn’t it? I mean, they (the owners) just don’t care and don’t know what they’re dealing with. Pit bulls are such a new breed (I corrected this straight away btw - pbts are ancient compared to her favoured Dobes!), and since they added Boxer and so on into the bloodlines (WTF?!) no wonder they went mad. I mean you can mix mongrels together but when you cross pure breeds together you should expect trouble. It’s a good thing they’re killing those dogs off. I KNOW what I have in my Dobies, that’s why I lock them all in cages before the grandchildren get here. After all, [the largest, oldest male] will go for them, and they all growl at the kids. But we know what we have, and these are proper KC registered dogs – they’re just protective.â€

WTF?!!?! You have aggressive, child-hating dogs weighing several stones, with aggressive temperaments, but it’s ok because they’re not pit bulls and they’re KC registered?! I pointed out that I’d have shot the lot of them, and how can she think it’s normal to need to lock away any so-called family dog before children visit the house. I also wondered out loud how many of the pups she’s bred out of these unpredictable child haters have carried this trait on and turned on some poor kid after she’s sold them on and lost contact with the “clientâ€.

Oh, it was ok though - they're champion show dogs with rosettes and CCs to prove it!

Talk about ironic. She’s moaning about a certain group of people, and turns out to be one of them herself! I didn’t know where to start. I did mention the Dobie and the Rottie (and the Bullmastiff, and the Lab etc) that were involved in child fatalities recently, wondering out loud if we should round all those breeds up and gas those as well whilst we're at it. Strangely my musings on that topic fell on deaf ears :hmm::censored:

So anyway, rant over and lesson learnt. Don’t own a soft-arse bully or anything with muscle, just get a KC registered Dobie or Rottie and lock it away from kids and you’ll be fine :no:

Discuss… LOL

Wow!! That was utterly crazy!! Just shows you what the media is capable of doing to people who dont know any better!! Mind you, I would expect a 'Breeder' to have a bit more sense about her. Today, I was walking my 14 week old Patterdale and a man who was walking a Dalmation stood stock still until I had passed with the fear of god on his face! God only knows what kind of dog he thought I was walking!!

well said mate..I was bitten by a boxer as a child, a labrador and various farm collies made my milk round a night mare..But in the second last house every morning a got a warm welcome every day from a red nosed creature..It wasnt rudolph either..What is happening to the breed in the ppers is sickening..I was in leeds this weekend and seen at least 10 walking placidly by their owners with families toddlers etc..My heart goes out to that girls family but also to the dogs whose blood will paint the tabloids for the next few months

:laugh: If you don't laugh at a numbskull like this woman who phoned you, the only other thing you do is cry :no: . We've got two Rotties, a Shar Pei and a Springer. All get on, all know their place, I respect them, they respect me B) .

I'm glad you brought the Rottie thing up, nowt wrong with the dogs at all, but what people are not made aware of and choose not to be aware of is this breed, or any breeds nature. A childs scream :hmm: , they do not want to hear :icon_eek: and do whatever it takes to stop the noise :icon_eek: .

Shar Peis, thanks to Mr. 'kin Beckham, everyone wants one :icon_eek: . In the week before Xmas, I was asked to go to Bradford :icon_eek: , to have a look at one left in a garden of a house that the owners had just left. Now, I'd challenge anyone to enter a property "owned" by this particular breed :icon_eek: . That said, our Shar pei and our eldest Rottie have just been playing "Snakes & Ladders" with my Mrs. and our six year old daughter B)

Certain breeds these days, are, unfortunately fashion accessories and are doomed from birth :angry: ..............Al :drink:

Edited by mad al

That's it, Stiffmeister. I wasn't intending this thread to turn into anything specific about that poor kid (who lived in my uncle's street), before things get out of hand...

Not saying any replies so far were wrong - just getting my reply in early in case the thread goes loco lol

It just amazed me the attitude this woman had. And as jultaylor said, you'd think a breeder would at least know better. Scarier yet, this woman isn't just a breeder/shower, she's a committee level judge as well!!

Ignorance abounds, which is outright depressing no matter which breed we're talking about.

Guest bunnyhawker

what she was trying to say is pit bulls are horrible and nasty where as her dogs are just possesive over lineage which is on there kc certificates she obviously cant see the rabies thru all the rosettes typical show person imho

i dont know about dangerous dogs act, i think we need a dangerous owners act.

certain breeds are more likely to be agressive and capable of seriously injuring/killing people but brought up correctly and by a experinced and competant owner there would be no trouble.

we (humans) made these amazing breeds and you have just gotta admire their bravery, courage and loyalty and now suposed experts are condeming them, i think thats pretty fuking disrespectful to them.

jmho

I agree that a dog owners should be held responsible for the actions of there dog, they owe it to the dog to ensure they are steady round people, steady round livestock & under control when off the lead, i was very aware of these things when owing a lurcher untill his death 3 yrs ago.

We still have a terrier bitch & i would be mortified if she ever hurt anyone, she is a typical terrier , fiestsy & has an attitude :laugh: i cant say she has ever been a pain to be honest, she is 11 this yr & very steady & a cracking little bitch .

Dog owners need to make sure a dogs in there care are tained properly, if they cant do it they need to get expert help from someone who does know how to do it.

I fostered a yorkshire terrier for a month, the animal was a nightmare , i had no idea how to deal with its aggression over food & basically i held my hands up & the dog was placed with another woman who was more experienced in dealing with this kind of stuff, but big dog , little dog they al need schooling & teaching whats acceptable , no good having a dog if the owners as thick as pigshit & lets it rule the roost :whistle: