My First fallow buck

Well this morning finally came and I was out stalking again and had been looking forward to it since my last outing non stop. and I do like stalking at this time of year as it was a pleasure to be going stalking and only have to get up at 6 to be there for 7 with time to spare. Anyway Ian came out to see me and it was still dark but I moved my kit in to the landy and we set off and drove to the spot where we were to be stalking from and arrived as Ian realised he had forgotten his binos but fear not for it was still dark so he drove back to his house (less than 2 mins away to grab them and we were back and now ready to set off but the light still wasn't quite with us. After a little chat in which I said that I would like to go for a fallow buck but if a fallow or roe doe presented I wouldn't turn it down and we were off.

As we set off with the wind blowing quite a cutting brezze we had not been out of the car for 3 mins when we rounded the corner and Ian spotted a fallow doe in a cover crop and then a young 'un at the edge so we left them be and advanced on at which point the twigged us and pranced off barking away (something I didn't like the sound of) But we carried on walking around the edge of the wood to were Ian told me he had seen a group of around 30 fallow bucks yesterday. We got to the corner of the woodland and there, down one of the rides of trees was a big buck looking in our direction probably 150-200 yards in to the wood. We both stopped and proceeded to scan the wood looking for more fallow that soon became apparent with their movement so we doubled back a couple of hundred yards further and cut in to the woods to advance on the fallow in cover. It was whilst doing this I got a feeling of dread as I was sure I could hear a dog whistle not to far off. This soon was backed up with shouts and more whistling that Ian explained was the boss's brother walking his dog but alas not in his usual wood. We waited and my heart sunk when I could see the lab ducking in and out of the edge of the wood were we had seen the fallow.

Once he had passed we advanced on further to the ride we had seen the first buck on and he was no where to be seen until I twigged some movement, pointed it out to ian and we realised there were over about 10 sets of eyes looking at us and many more not. We stood still for a couple of mins glassing the group with our bins before they decided to run (no doubt spooked by the walker and his dog so more on alert before we got there) I was gutted to see 30 fallow bucks prance off and some real good ones in the group at that. So we continued to stalk this wood for any stragglers to no success. So we moved on to see if we could catch up with those bucks and spotted them only 400-500 yards away on the edge of the next woodland. Whilst walking in to them we bumped a group of about 10 does that luckily moved away from the bucks to my great relief.

As we rounded the corner to were we planned to shoot a beast from they had moved and now once again we had one or two of the group looking at us. We backed slowly off into the wood and got to a place where we could advance on the bucks with bushes as cover. We got to within a about 120-130 yards of a small group of 4 bucks out in the open (2 really big boys and 2 younger bucks) We waited for one of them to present a shot. After about 5 mins one of the bucks stood broad side on, clear from the group and I slowly steadied myself on the stick with a bit of buck fever kicking in. Once steady I squeezed the shot off and the buck dropped to the shot. As we got to them he was breathing his last breath as the shot was a little forward but still in the kill zone. I then performed the gralloch and Ian helped to remove the head that I am now attempting to prep my self. It was a great morning out that I thoroughly enjoyed and shall not forget with a nice little trophy as a memento.

IMG00084-20101215-1018.jpg

IMG00083-20101215-1018.jpg

George

• Like 2

well done pal!

was it a paid stalk or just a good pal?

john boy

Sadly a paid stalk but at reasonable money and with a really nice guy.

George

You... my friend... have access to a sickening amount of quality stalking :yes: Fair play to you on another successful outing.

That estate is a bit of a gem, 4 stalks and 3 beasts on the ground and had I been a week later on the only unsuccessful stalk I could have had several deer on the ground but only bucks were in season I am loving my gap year though as im getting 50 hours in a week so can afford a bit of stalking :thumbs::D

George

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...