2 x Rabbits 1 shot

I was out just before dark for a wander over My Land with My 17HMR trying out a new scope I'd fitted last week I was using 17GR V-Max Hornady's.I shot 1 Rabbit aiming for the Head but hit it in the guts so gave the scope a couple of clicks "up" the next Rabbit was a similar distance about 80-90 yds , there were 2 of them one on the left which was a little further away than the one on the right, I aimed for the one on the right as I shot I heard the Thud and saw it drop but at the same time the other one which was 10-12 ft away on the other side of the track started doing somersaults, when I got to it it was dead as well! The one I'd aimed at was hit in the neck where it meets the skull and the other one was hit in the top of the shoulder ? I've dropped 2 Rabbits with one shot from a 410 before but I doubt I'll ever do this again. Anyone else ever Fluked one.

Done it a couple of times with the LR on kits but my favourite one was with my AirArms S400 Xtra. I was lining up on a bunny about 40yards away when another rabbit came alongside the first one so he got it instead, the other rabbit ran about 8 feet then keeled over stone dead.

I was out just before dark for a wander over My Land with My 17HMR trying out a new scope I'd fitted last week I was using 17GR V-Max Hornady's.I shot 1 Rabbit aiming for the Head but hit it in the guts so gave the scope a couple of clicks "up" the next Rabbit was a similar distance about 80-90 yds , there were 2 of them one on the left which was a little further away than the one on the right, I aimed for the one on the right as I shot I heard the Thud and saw it drop but at the same time the other one which was 10-12 ft away on the other side of the track started doing somersaults, when I got to it it was dead as well! The one I'd aimed at was hit in the neck where it meets the skull and the other one was hit in the top of the shoulder ? I've dropped 2 Rabbits with one shot from a 410 before but I doubt I'll ever do this again. Anyone else ever Fluked one.

Hi.

Duck shooting in Dumfries a few years back a couple of teal sprang from a burn we were walking. I swung through and dropped both birds but at the same time a salmon was leaping which got caught in the pattern and landed on the far bank. When we went to retreive the fish we found that the shot had carried through and dropped a rabbit. On picking up the rabbit we saw it was laid on a pound of mushrooms.

DD

Hi.

Duck shooting in Dumfries a few years back a couple of teal sprang from a burn we were walking. I swung through and dropped both birds but at the same time a salmon was leaping which got caught in the pattern and landed on the far bank. When we went to retreive the fish we found that the shot had carried through and dropped a rabbit. On picking up the rabbit we saw it was laid on a pound of mushrooms.

DD

No need to be facetious DD. It DOES happen.

I've not seen it with light calibres, but I've seen two deer drop to one shot before. One fallow drops to good chest shot, go to pick up and find another one out of sight, also very dead. Get them back to the larder and open the second one up, to find not a bullet, but an inch long shard of bone (we reckoned rib) had gone in through the side and severed the aorta. Reckon the second one died before the first one.

Over the years I've done this several times with various tools, including, .22lr, HMR and centrefires....and 2 pheasant with the 12g.

I've only knocked down 2 rabbit with the HMR once, they were about 30-60cms apart and offset. The 17g bullet fragmented and a piece fluked the other rabbit. :thumbs:

Once with the air gun on kits, same with the 410 and with the rimmy didnt know the 2nd was there, 3 pigeons with the 12g as they were coming by and a pack shot at starlings when they were legal picked up 18, also have seen 2 foxes shot with cf when they were knotted

I had two rabbits with the 12g, two feral pigeons with a .177 R10, and earlier this year I saw friend knock down three woodys with one cartridge as they were coming into land on a day I was having problems hitting one bird with three cartridges.

• 3 weeks later...