HW 97k Vs Air Arms Pro Sport

Im looking at buying a rifle around the £400 mark,

I would like to buy new, and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two springers which both have awsome reviews! the Weirauch HW97k & the Air arms Pro sport.

Has anybody owned both? is it worth paying the extra Cash for the air arms? or would it be more sensible to get a TX200 Mk3 Hunter carbine instead and saving the extra cash.

I want a rifle that is gona last and not have to buy a new one in a years time, as the saying goes "buy nice or buy twice"

This is what has steered me towards a top end springer, rather than a bottom end pcp, and im not phased buy the weight, i have considered a S400 which is around the same price range, although not having a diving bottle, i would then have to buy one taking the rifle slightly out of my budget.

I still have not ruled this rifle out either, but the majority of reviews on the net dont seem to live up to those of the two springers, but would like to hear your opinions as im sure they will be much more informed than mine.

Many Thanks!

Hi Craig,

I have owned both rifles and to be honest with you, only just got rid of them both due to marital issues.

They are both superb rifles and will last you a life time without fail if looked after properly.

Accuracy wise you won’t split them I’m afraid as they are both capable in the right hands of producing 1 hole groups at 40 to 45 metres in perfect conditions with no wind etc.

Straight out the box and off the shelf I would say that the Air Arms Pro Sport is the smoother and silkier rifle to load and shoot.

It’s like a tuned rifle off the shelf and will astound you how wonderful it is.

I know someone on here that had a ProSport and wanted to take it to a very good rifle tuner called Tony Wall for a tune and he said that there would be no point as the ProSports are so well made that there wouldn’t be that much he could do to improve it.

The HW97K is also very nice but not quite as smooth as the ProSport straight out the box.

Still as accurate though, I must add, and will out shoot the owner any day.

If you pay an extra £70 and get the HW97K tuned by Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports (Sandwell Field Sports - tel 0121 520 2000

) the HW97K will beat the ProSport for smoothness, quietness and silkier cocking and just about everything else less accuracy, which it is on a par with.

If i had to pick one i would have the HW97K and get it tuned mate.

They are just shooting dreams when properly hand tuned.

I’ve got some footage of me on YouTube shooting a smaller than 1 inch target with my ProSport at 55 metres (60.1 yards), they are brilliant as are the HW97K’s

Link below

Hope this info helps buddy

Si

Edited by zini

Hi mate,

I recently owned a hw97k and cannot fault it for a springer, but now ive converted to pcp and its a whole new game.

I have a s410 and i love it.

If i was you i would save up for a pcp and bottle/pump, the pros more than outweigh the cons i.e

multishot

No recoil - accuracy/bipod mountable

Lighter than the dearer springers i.e. Hw97k

Almost silent with decent silencer

Hope this helps

Scott

Cant comment on the 97k, and only got my Prosport on Friday so experience with it is minimal, but so far i love it. It shoots very smoothly and shoots accurately to the 25 yards ive been practicing at so far.

Also have an S410, cant say a bad word about it. More accurate then the person behind the trigger, no problems with it what so ever, good shot count, multishot etc. But think i will always have a springer (dont think i will ever change the Prosport) in my collection. Wether its plinking, hunting or HFT, i think sometimes you get a bit more fun from shooting a springer. Each to their own as they say.

Cheers

John

Cant comment on the 97k, and only got my Prosport on Friday so experience with it is minimal, but so far i love it. It shoots very smoothly and shoots accurately to the 25 yards ive been practicing at so far.

Also have an S410, cant say a bad word about it. More accurate then the person behind the trigger, no problems with it what so ever, good shot count, multishot etc. But think i will always have a springer (dont think i will ever change the Prosport) in my collection. Wether its plinking, hunting or HFT, i think sometimes you get a bit more fun from shooting a springer. Each to their own as they say.

Cheers

John

Got to agree with you there John.

I think people are a bit keen to push others into buying PCPs sometimes. Both the ProSport and HW97K are top notch rifles, and both rifles that I would like to own. I have no experience of the ProSport personally, so for that reason the HW edges it for me- but I'm a Weihrauch devotee when it comes to spring guns.

I'll admit, I use my PCPs (R10 and Ultra) far more often than my HW95K, but I'm definitely glad I held onto it.

Hi Craig.

If I may add a bit more fuel to your fire.. Go take a close look at the Weihrauch HW77.

I've just bought a full length one for my collection in .22 calibre and it's as beautiful a rifle as it gets. The 97K is it's successor and a rightful one too. I really thought the Prosport was the best looking of all spring rifles but, the HW77 is the daddy of them all. It's got the potential to outshoot the man whose shoulder it sits in. Either the Weihrauch 97K or Air Arms Prosport will put pellet on pellet at 50 metres if you have the talent. But the Weihrauch HW77 not only will equal that easilly, she'll go on doing it superbly; year, after year, after year. I have the TX200HC in .177 and TX200 rifle in .22 both of which are truly lovely guns to own and shoot. And it's a huge thing for me to admit but, I believe the HW77 is going to be a better rifle in the hunting field than my TX200 is. The 77's length, weight and handling are just about perfect.

This one of mine is going to have the best care and tuning money can buy as my primary hunting rifle now; and my one great, great regret is that I didn't buy one years ago.

You won't be disapointed with the 97K or Prosport; whatever you choose in the end mate. But, if it was my money, I know absolutely what it would be going on. :thumbs:

ATB

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Hi Craig.

If I may add a bit more fuel to your fire.. Go take a close look at the Weihrauch HW77.

I've just bought a full length one for my collection in .22 calibre and it's as beautiful a rifle as it gets. The 97K is it's successor and a rightful one too. I really thought the Prosport was the best looking of all spring rifles but, the HW77 is the daddy of them all. It's got the potential to outshoot the man whose shoulder it sits in. Either the Weihrauch 97K or Air Arms Prosport will put pellet on pellet at 50 metres if you have the talent. But the Weihrauch HW77 not only will equal that easilly, she'll go on doing it superbly; year, after year, after year. I have the TX200HC in .177 and TX200 rifle in .22 both of which are truly lovely guns to own and shoot. And it's a huge thing for me to admit but, I believe the HW77 is going to be a better rifle in the hunting field than my TX200 is. The 77's length, weight and handling are just about perfect.

This one of mine is going to have the best care and tuning money can buy as my primary hunting rifle now; and my one great, great regret is that I didn't buy one years ago.

You won't be disapointed with the 97K or Prosport; whatever you choose in the end mate. But, if it was my money, I know absolutely what it would be going on. :thumbs:

ATB

Simon

got to agree with you mate the hw77 is an absolute legend and superb rifle,infact its that good ive got two standard and and the k version,one of them is goin for a reblue and a v-mach kit and v-mach silencer fitted and ive also just bought a cs800 walnut stock for it aswell.

Got to agree with botyh Simon (Pianoman) and Polecat84.

I really like the HW97 and Pro sport, was playing with both in the local shop at the weekend but neither gave me the utter assurance I get from the HW77K. Quite a personal thing, I know, but I don't think I'll ever part with mine.

i have hw97k that i have just bought and with the exception of weight it is an extremly accurate rifle to own

i havent had the pleasure of firing a prosport so cant comment on that but hopefully i will be spending a day shooting with another member who has a prosport and maybe through the day we could compare the 2 together

also like to add any advice given by zini is more than worth taking in as from posts i have read from him the information and knowledge he has on air rifles is unbeatable from what i gather :thumbs:

Thanks to you both, silentshot and polecat84. The range time Ive put in so far is enough to convince me the HW77 has got to be the most accurate production spring rifle you can buy. Elegantly simple, uncomplicated, pure accurate rifle. Anything else can only be as good but no better. I really love mine to bits. If you are a right hander Craig, your budget will easilly buy you one plus leave you enough change towards a decent scope for it.

I'm even beginning to think the unthinkable and sell my .22 TX200 rifle to fund a second HW77 in .177cal. What ammo are you lads using for your HW77s? Mine seems to like H&N Field Target Trophy. What else?

Simon

Thanks to you both, silentshot and polecat84. The range time Ive put in so far is enough to convince me the HW77 has got to be the most accurate production spring rifle you can buy. Elegantly simple, uncomplicated, pure accurate rifle. Anything else can only be as good but no better. I really love mine to bits. If you are a right hander Craig, your budget will easilly buy you one plus leave you enough change towards a decent scope for it.

I'm even beginning to think the unthinkable and sell my .22 TX200 rifle to fund a second HW77 in .177cal. What ammo are you lads using for your HW77s? Mine seems to like H&N Field Target Trophy. What else?

Simon

rws superdomes and air arms diablo feild but superdomes seem to work best in mine.