out with an old friend

NEWKID

It was a great day today, was out first thing with my little boy , my brother, bullseye71 and and Dave, one of my oldest friends , for a days ferreting. It was Dave who first took me hunting, fishing and anything else really from about 6 years old I owe him a huge debt for the time he spent with me as a kid (every weekend at least) thanks mate. Just recently he's been really un-well and now we've beeen told it's only a matter of time so it meant a lot to me and my brother for him to come out today and even more so as my little boy Fin was there too.

Bullseye71 had brought his dogs I had mine and my brother had his young pup as well as the ferrets and nets so we were welll set, :icon_eek: as we walked over the fields to a hedge we had planned to start on, both my jrt and bullseyes pat strongly marked a set of about 20 holes under a small group of trees we decided to net it up and give it a go and the dogs were proved right ( as usual) and we quickly had 5 out they were gutted and hung in a tree to pick up on the way back from the intended hedge.

We knew the next hedge held a few rabbits so we put the long nets down each side collared up 2 ferrets ( 1 was my new lad his first outing :thumbs: ) put em down and waited. It was slow going so we took the young one out ( he'll have another chance next week) and put bullseyes experianced jill , coco, down but it was'nt till the ferrets had worked the full length of the hedge that we had any action. in a frantic 5 minutes we had another 5 it was great action and worth the wait.:thumbs:

it was around 11-45 now and we decided to try one more hedge again we set the long nets and put Coco to work a rabbit bolted within 10 seconds and then my jrt took a rabbit off the top of the hedge ( I'm really pleased with how she's coming on she doesn't stop all day and is bang on with her marking now she's only 18mnths so i hope she continues like this. I think she's learnt a lot from Doyle, Bullseyes pat ,who at 9 knows exactly what he's doing)

We had another frantic 5 mins at the end of the hedge and put another 6 in the bag to finish the day with18.

A big thanks to bullseye71 for another good day My little boy loved it and is definately a mini-me and for me it was great to be out with my brother and my oldest mate.:thumbs:

• Like 1

It takes it toll does a days ferreting, had a few hour this morning myself. Came straight home, dinner and an hours kip on setee haha. My 5mth old pup did well marked up on 2 setts and both were holding.

:thumbs:

I hope you get many more days out together, when my shooting pal died i lost all heart and packed in the guns after many years i dont really miss the sport but i still miss him and im sure you will make the most of the time you have. Good to see the little lad out with you :thumbs: