In "MY" opinion, bad shooting

millsy44

Fair enough lol suppose we can agree on one thing :thumbs: And it doesnt make it wrong, like you said, just different to how id do it, i knew posting this would cause grief :whistling: never mind, lets just agree to disagree on this one :thumbs:

Not grief;

I thought it was actually a very good debate :yes: I do like a good debate or two :yes:

SPA

Phantom

Im fairly new on here tho and dont like getting peoples backs up thats all phantom, especially people who share the same interest as me. Wasnt intentional. :icon_redface:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I cannot argue with Jasp's point. There WAS certainly plenty of perfectly presented head-shot opportunities and they were not taken advantage of. That leads me to two points to observe.

i thought he shot well most look clean to me.. head shottin is all well and good but sometime quarry is still alive after being shot in the head well placed heart shots kill as good as any n

no worries mate,il take another look.............oh and chill out FFS maybe have a or two lol

Posted Images

Thats my clip ...................................

Nope, its deffo Si explaining trajectory v gravity :laugh:

Phantom

:doh: :doh: :doh: Spartacus ring a bell?..............

.........TAXI

Im fairly new on here tho and dont like getting peoples backs up thats all phantom, especially people who share the same interest as me. Wasnt intentional. :icon_redface:

No worries :no:

You hadn't gotten my back up :no: Sometimes people do and I let them know about it BIG time :angel:

But like I say, there are pro's and con's about the way we each shoot our quarry :yes: for example: I prefere to decimate the part of the brain called the Cerabellum. Leads to an instant switch off. But the alleged 'Perfect' shot placement is halfway between the eye and the ears?

That shot certainly kills 99% of the time but it lets the Cerabellum continue to function!

The Cerabellum is responsible for keeping the animal's basic life support systems alive and the animal may actually still be breathing and the heart still functioning for a good few seconds after "Death" as it were.

Hit the Cerebellum and those life support functions are gone before the animal can even twitch or roll over :yes: Hit that and 99% of the time the animal won't even raise its leg because the motor functions are gone :thumbs:

Phantom

millsy Being a shotgun shooter yourself I am surprised at this thread, as I kno on the ocasions I have been out with a shottie iv found myself having to break more necks than when out with the air rifle and if it wansnt from the quary falling from height im sure there would have been a few more.

Not trying to fuel the fire just my opinion and trying to put things into perspective a little.

I do have to admit tho I am not the best with a shottie lol

As long as everyone is doing there best for humane dispatches weather killed outright or winged and dispached a.s.a.p then its o.k with me as long as the shot was taken with the intention of a clean kill.

.atb gents .ste.

Please dont shout at me im only little :)

Edited to say I havent watched the clip this was just a general comment.

Edited by rossi_j

Hi guys I've just seen this post.

Wow this one built up quickly didnt it?

Who is the shooter is he from this forum? I love the quality of the footage and the editing is quite good too.

Just a valid point. There was alot of hard work went into the editing and filming there as there is 3 parts to every bird shot.

1. The part of the man looking up in the trees (filmed from a tripod)

2. The part where the man is aiming his rifle up in the air and you see his side profile and the profile of his rifle

and

3. The part of the man firing at the bird through the scope camera.

Bloody good film making, my hat is off to him.

Anyway I read all the comments first then watched the clip afterwards.

I didn't think it was too bad and I'll explain why, I have seen worse.

Don't want to really comment on the guy, except for saying that steep angled shots are really tricky to do and if your shooting as many steep angled shots as this man did then due to the many factors governing accuracy (effects of gravity, wind, shooters own caperbilituies etc) you will expect some shots like he made with strikes just out of a recognised KZ.

I would of been very surprised if the man had hit 100% perfect shots at them angles and without a mildot scope too.

He did try his best though to be humane and accurate and the shots did kill even though some of the shots were not instantaneous kills due to being body shots, which if we are all truthful we don’t always get instantaneous kills 100% of the time.

I don't think he was trying to wound or just get a hit anywhere for a kill. I actually think he was compensating for accuracy factors (as mentioned above) with hold under, but in a few cases over compensated slightly with too much hold under.

That together with making a shot through a scope camera, which in it's own right is nails and unless you are a well practiced scope camera hunter you will not understand what im tyrying to get at here.

Try shooting through a scope camera yourself and see how hard it is to be accurate.

Better I watch something like this than from someone who just hasn't got any clue what's so ever and goes for bum shots and lower belly shots etc on purpose.

On a whole a large percent of his shots were really humane and well placed for the shooting conditions.

I myself take shots from all angles on vermin and to different kill zones.

I favour head and spinal shots especially on woodies but will on corvids, ferals and rats take the odd heart shot.

Done correctly a heart shot kills them stone dead before they leave their perch or roll over in the case of a rat.

Si

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

Just been searching in the archives for this clip as its 100% been on here before! the first time it was on their was alot of people slatting it as "Poor Shooting" includeing myself.

I havn't watched the clip over again but the last time I remember seeing it the guy was shooting Parent Rooks off the nest aswel as squabs which are about as sporting as me zeroing a Barn door at 30yds. if I'm wrong and this is a different Video then I apoligise, Hopefully someone can find the original topic put up some months ago :hmm:.

have to say I enjoy a good sporting shot and will also take on a easy shot if its vermin and requires me to do so, but surely from the vermin perspective the guy would be doing more justice taking out Crows and Magpies/Jays rather than the Young Rooks literaly branching from the nest and birds sitting :no:.

Jasp

True Jasper buddy you got me there pal, hat off to you for making me eat my own words :yes: ,

Im one that the comments have changed and man enough to admit i was a bit too hard on Sportingscene first time round.

Isnt it funny how opinions can change when you watch the clip more that once and look at it from a different angle, i.e editing and trajectory compensation instead of body shooting :doh:

Could of been a little hard on him the first time i do agree :yes: Sorry Sportingscene ;)

Still wouldnt pay £74 for 3 DVDs though and my original comment was in regards to the price of the DVDs to his own ability and the ratio of instantanious kills :no: thats far to steep is £74 :yes:

I wouldnt pay that for any DVDs :no:

The editing is good as already said though and that ive only just really started to appreiciate since ive been lookiong deeper into editing myself :thumbs: .

Now ill sit in my corner and eat humble pie :doh:

Si

Edited by zini

True Jasper buddy you got me there pal :yes: ,

Im one that the comments have changed.

Isnt it funny how opinions can change when you watch the clip more that once :doh: Could of been a little hard on him the first time i do agree :yes: Sorry Sportingscene ;)

Still wouldnt pay £74 for 3 DVDs though and my original comment was in regards to the price of the DVDs to his own ability and the ratio of instantanious kills :no: thats far to steep is £74 :yes:

I wouldnt pay that for any DVDs

The editing is good as alreday said though and that ive only just really started to appreiciate :thumbs: .

Now ill sit in my corner and eat humble pie :doh:

Si

Hello Si

sorry mate it wasn't meant to be to catch anyone out :thumbs:. when I saw this post and the vid I remembered seeing it on here before. I knew back then some of the more respected THL shots wasn't over impressed.

I have watched a fair few of your clips Si as Davey's and a good few others on Youtube! looking at that video I can't help feeling that some of them shots was well worthy of a good clean placed head shot, I have seen you do it plenty of times in the past as a few other shooters.

I'm beggining to sound a bit of a Anti but I'm one of them who can't sit and shoot young Rooks leaving a nest and Parent birds sitting! even with well placed clean head shots :thumbs:...

Its only my opinion! I certainly wouldn't be throwing a wobbly if I saw anyone else doing it :victory:.

atb Jasp