where the f--k are we going lads

whats wrong with cross breed hounds. i hunt with a registered pack an whip in when need but i still enjoy my sundays out with my cross breeds. they can preform as good if not better they pure breed hounds an i can hunt covers where mounted packs will never be left. thats what has hunting ruined an nearly banned hunting is people with your attitude. were all out for an enjoyable day of sport whether with cross breed or pure. so why shouldn't people share there story's in hound section. y.i.s, sionnach

Sionnach, if your crossbreds hunt better than the pure breds then the registered pack your with mustn't be anything special.

Hounds or dogs running around making noise in a covert will make any game present leave it. Hunting starts when your fox hits country and that's when a hound comes into it's own.

If your talking about surrounding the covert with lurchers or/and guns then that's not hunting either, it's fox control.

And as for hunting nearly being banned by people with attitude ??? I disagree. It's un-organised hunting and gangs of lads who feel they can go where they want ,when they want doing what they want that seem to never be out of the papers and are making landowners anti hunting and barring all people from the land.

JMHO.

well neil , hows things if you read my post full you will see i said"they can preform as good if not better then pure breed hounds" an yes i do flush out to lurchers but if a fox is missed our x breed pack can if scent premits hunt a fox on for a few mile which sometimes results in a mark to ground or a lost fox. i will not personally tolerate a hound that babbles on fresh air for the sake of it an will put that hound down as theres enough rubbish about.as for not organised i will ring farmers on the wednesday to let them know we will hunt there land an see where livestock etc is.there are fools out there that can an do ruin it on others that not only goes for hunting but digging etc too. we've filled in enough holes left open by others this season already. the dictionary class hunting as"the sport or practice of pursuing and killing or capturing wild animals". good hunting to all who hunt with pure or x breed hounds, y.i.s, sionnach

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

whats wrong with cross breed hounds. i hunt with a registered pack an whip in when need but i still enjoy my sundays out with my cross breeds. they can preform as good if not better they pure breed ho

so maybe they should put up a forum for bobbery packs or something so us pretend pack hunters can share our hunting storys with like minded people. its funny how packs want your support when the sh

Sionnach, if your crossbreds hunt better than the pure breds then the registered pack your with mustn't be anything special. Hounds or dogs running around making noise in a covert will make any game

Posted Images

whats wrong with cross breed hounds. i hunt with a registered pack an whip in when need but i still enjoy my sundays out with my cross breeds. they can preform as good if not better they pure breed hounds an i can hunt covers where mounted packs will never be left. thats what has hunting ruined an nearly banned hunting is people with your attitude. were all out for an enjoyable day of sport whether with cross breed or pure. so why shouldn't people share there story's in hound section. y.i.s, sionnach

Sionnach, if your crossbreds hunt better than the pure breds then the registered pack your with mustn't be anything special.

Hounds or dogs running around making noise in a covert will make any game present leave it. Hunting starts when your fox hits country and that's when a hound comes into it's own.

If your talking about surrounding the covert with lurchers or/and guns then that's not hunting either, it's fox control.

And as for hunting nearly being banned by people with attitude ??? I disagree. It's un-organised hunting and gangs of lads who feel they can go where they want ,when they want doing what they want that seem to never be out of the papers and are making landowners anti hunting and barring all people from the land.

JMHO.

covert?first time i heard that word from an irishman.

i think if you check the stud books of all the big famous pack there has been

a lot of cross breeding over the years most packs have welsh blood there take a close look next time at any big hound show , hound snobs :whistling:

I would consider a welsh X modern english or any cross between two hounds breeds a full hound and the crosses done by any pack is well documented and I don't think they hide them. Every huntsman has his preferences.

But here we're talking about hound X springers or hound X terrier crosses and they aint hounds.

• Like 1

and a very good pack you have aswell pal ,and once we are all happy with our WELL ORGANISED hunting then who gives a monkeys ring piece .We get our foxes and sport every week and thats all that matters :thumbs:
  • Like 2

st if not all gun packs arrive on the morning.

I do realise that foxes need controlling. I used to go out with several gun packs and indeed had hounds myself.

For me it finished when I seen a whole litter took out. We had 21 one morning and 14 twice. Not my cup of tea but I realise it has to be done.............sometimes.

The original question was should we be discussing crossbred hounds on a hound forum?

Of course we should. Lurchers are crossbreds and there's plenty of talk about crossbred terriers on the terrier forum.

But if some one has a few mongeralised hounds is he a hunts man ? Don't be silly.

Is beating out a covert to lurchers or guns hunting??? Don't be silly.

neil is pulling a fox from a whole and given it to a pack of hounds hunting u dont b silly also theres men hunting gun packs that have more experience wit hounds than youve ever had your only at it 3or 4 years so dont knock dem

Maybe you are all right. Maybe the category should be renamed to HUNTING FOXES or something. I think that it is great to hear from a pack of hounds bred of a similar type, also is nice to hear of hunting with various crosses. I think at a time when hunting has been banned in the UK, it is at its second stage in Northern Ireland to been banned and is under extra pressure every day in the Republic. I dont think we need anti's if we all going to keep fighting like this. If you could bottle the passion in fights here it would be great to give to the local TD's or MP's.

I hunt with many registered foot and mounted packs, I have also hunted with gun packs, lurcher packs, cross bred packs you name it. Myself and my Dad have our own foot pack, he started a pack of Bassetts in England 30 odd yrs ago who are still going strong. He also hunted many mounted packs here in Ireland.

All in all in his time and mine now I think it is important what ever you chase or what ever you chase it with that you try to do the following:

Respect your dogs/hounds/animals

Respect your game

Respect the landowner

Respect the general public not involved with hunting

and most importantly you enjoy the SPORT and have fun, and if possible offer a pest control service at the same time.

So in answer to this topic on the forum maybe when posting we could all just state clearly what were hunting and what type hound/dog we use.

I will add one thing though. One huge benefit with a pack of hounds is that you can trace the lines back through the stud books many many years. This allows you to better predict the line you are gonna cross and somewhat predict what the offspring MAYBE like? This may not be that easy if crossing various different breeds of unknown lineage.

Good hunting

Johnny85

Edited by Johnny85
  • Like 2

Maybe you are all right. Maybe the category should be renamed to HUNTING FOXES or something. I think that it is great to hear from a pack of hounds bred of a similar type, also is nice to hear of hunting with various crosses. I think at a time when hunting has been banned in the UK, it is at its second stage in Northern Ireland to been banned and is under extra pressure every day in the Republic. I dont think we need anti's if we all going to keep fighting like this. If you could bottle the passion in fights here it would be great to give to the local TD's or MP's.

I hunt with many registered foot and mounted packs, I have also hunted with gun packs, lurcher packs, cross bred packs you name it. Myself and my Dad have our own foot pack, he started a pack of Bassetts in England 30 odd yrs ago who are still going strong. He also hunted many mounted packs here in Ireland.

All in all in his time and mine now I think it is important what ever you chase or what ever you chase it with that you try to do the following:

Respect your game

Respect the landowner

and most importantly you enjoy the SPORT and have fun, and if possible offer a pest control service at the same time.

So in answer to this topic on the forum maybe when posting we could all just state clearly what were hunting and what type hound/dog we use.

I will add one thing though. One huge benefit with a pack of hounds is that you can trace the lines back through the stud books many many years. This allows you to better predict the line you are gonna cross and somewhat predict what the offspring MAYBE like? This may not be that easy if crossing various different breeds of unknown lineage.

Good hunting

Johnny85

Finally someone writting some sence, there's lots of lads on this site would do well to read this post instead of bitching and moaning, we as hunters are under more pressure and scutiny than ever before, we MUST be united

Respect your game

Respect the landowner

Good hunting

Johnny85

Finally someone writting some sence, there's lots of lads on this site would do well to read this post instead of bitching and moaning, we as hunters are under more pressure and scutiny than ever before, we MUST be united

You said a mouthful Coyotehunter! Why is it that so many hunters want to separate themselves from the rest, contending that only they or a select few are the real deal, chosen ones etc. It involves everything from proven breeding to knowing everything about everyone and their dogs. :laugh:"Get the truth here! Being sold today only!" But I have to admit, it makes great fun reading it sometimes. :yes:

That old saying still holds true, United We Stand. So Stand.

look lads we're all in this for the pleasure of enjoying watch our choosen dog or dogs work weather it be above ground or below ground. as johnny said we must all stick together an fight our common enemy the antis. opinions are like assholes everyone has one. its nice to hear other peoples taughts on fieldsports but some people have an attuide problem towards others who hunt a different way to them an think they are the only ones who should hunt well think again the farms own the land an without them we would not be hunting. y.i.s, sionnach

• Like 1

[bANNED TEXT] lads i go out wid a priate pack of hounds but all ours are etheier monderen fell x or welsh x monderen some even ave a bit of harrier in but they all cum off proper packs but u lot on here say or u wont a mondere x fell if u new out about hounds and hunting u wud no that most fell hound or monderen english have all sorts in like fell welsh monderen english old english

but realy dose it matter if u have "PURE" HOUNDS or hound x we all out to do the same thing have some fun and do what we do best

i say if u ave perpesion off farmer go pure hounds or not or regesied pack or pritate pack

It was Isaac (Ikey) Bell while hunting hounds in the 1900's in Ireland (Kilkenny and Galway) and in England that invented the modern hound. He did this by continuously breeding hounds of a TYPE. He crossed a welsh hound into the old English TYPE. He did this for two reasons one was to make them look pretty, the second was to improve the old English confirmation. At that time they were cow hocked big bullocks of plain hounds. These old hounds would hunt steady away for hours. However Ikey Bell breed a new better built hound (Modern) that could run faster and further. It was this line that gave rise to Bell catching so many foxes. The old English type itself is not that old either. Up to about 1890 most hounds were of a light color coming from the old harrier blood. It was just before World War 1 that the fashion of dark colored or tan hounds began. This was a main result of the success of the Belvoir Tan type hound that became famous. So now a days you have Modern Foxhound kennels that have primarily had the modern lines of Ikey Bell type, like the Beaufort and Heythrop, Kilkenny etc. Then you have the Old English type which is the kennel with the least amount of welsh blood introduced. Typically dark stronger hounds. However this is purely cosmetics and they do come in light colors and bone is purely decided by the sire and dam used in the kennel. As to which one is better, Who knows?

Good Hunting

Johnny85

Well said mate.

Just to point out that in the post I made earlier I wasn't running down anyone who uses hounds or dogs of any description to provide them with a shot at a fox, each to their own and may they enjoy their sport, I was just wondering what their motivation is, is it enjoying a good hunt or is firing the shot the only important thing?

I read Old Dog's post again and I don't think he is running down lads who like to hunt/shoot foxes using bobbery packs, I think that he is asking a question as to what all this cross breeding is going to achieve? (correct if I am wrong Old Dog). A few of you lads have posted about how the modern foxhound is a combination of various out crosses by Ikey Bell and the like. This is true, but the thing is each cross was carried out with a plan in mind and not just to see what would happen. Some crosses worked, some didn't but each cross was carried out after careful consideration as to what it might bring to help achieve the overall aim.

An example in my own experience is of a half-hound kept on the boundary of our pack and a neighbouring pack. The lad who had it had a good chasing well bred bitch who got served by a mongrel pet he had. His kids tortured him into keeping one of the pups. The dog pup he kept turned out to be a demon to chase. The thing is, as an individual, the half hound did what was needed of him to justify hunting him with the pack, but in relation to breeding off him, there was no way the lads would do it as they would not have a clue what would come off him, so as an animal of use to the bloodlines of his pack he was useless. So a lot of the lads who are crossing terriers and spaniels with all breeds and types of hounds will most likely get pups that will hunt and do the job that you want, but will it lead to bloodlines that in a few generations you can breed off and get predictable consistent results? I doubt it.

as the title say's you boy's crossing beagle xjack, beagle pat, beagle spaniel,what the f--k you doing in this post this is the hound section,im not saying that they don't hunt,what im saying is they can not be classed as hounds,you should be in the terrier or even gundog section with these mix and match,SOME OF YOU SHOULD BE IN THE FERRETING SECTION, i dare say you have got more to cross with want ever hound you can get your hands on,BUT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE HONESTLY KEEPING HOUNDS,don't come back to me and say i bred these hound, terrier, spaniel, crosses for the country we hunt like that idiot who made those video's,if you are living in the uk or ireland we are all hunting the same covers no matter where you live,i have not posted on here for a while for this simple reason,the hounds section is boring as f---k with your silly crosses and your siily questions, so lets read more about true hound hunting and get rid of some of these silly posts,SORRY LADS IT HAD TO BE SAID,

[/quote

Cant make up my mind.If this is passion or snobbery.:blink: