A Career in Sumatra? I should be so lucky…

Manco

After many years of shooting with air rifles I can confirm that airgun hunting is what I like and my favourite air rifles are a couple of Korean pcps: the Career 707 Mk 2 Carbine and the Sumatra 2500 Carbine. These pcp repeaters look like a cross between an over and under shotgun and a Winchester western rifle. I love the look but the dealer I bought the Career from, 10 years ago, referred to it as “the ugly stick”.

A definite plus point about living in South Africa is that it’s legal to own and possess an air rifle of any power output (provided it’s calibre is smaller than .22) without the need for a licence or firearms certificate.

As many UK hunters will know these Korean powerhouses are designed to be run flat out using Korean Eun Jin heavyweight pellets. Both guns are licensed for monkey-shooting in Korea which testifies to their ability as a hunting weapon (over there monkeys are a serious urban pest).

But you don’t have to go the whole hog as far as power is concerned: they can be adjusted by means of a ‘power wheel’ to shoot a 14 grain pellet at around 950 fps (now corrected, thanks) I have found ideal for vermin like pigeons and crows and small game e.g. rabbits. At this setting both the Career and Sumatra can deliver ½ inch groups at 50 yards and can go to one inch at 70 yards. By no means a shabby performance.

What about charging the air rifles? Living in South Africa the reality may be that there is no local dive shop: for me it would mean a round trip of over 200 km to re-charge a diver’s bottle. So I opted for an air rifle stirrup pump and chose the model made by Hill’s of Sheffield, England, with the optional ‘Dry Pack’. It was nearly twice the price of some pumps on the market but it is superbly made with spare seals and filters readily available. Service from the company is excellent.

It was with trepidation that I inserted the fill probe and attempted to charge the twin reservoirs for the first time with 200 bar of pressure using a hand pump. Having reached “old bugger” status in terms of years spent on the planet I must confess that it was quite a work-out – no-one told me that air rifle shooting involved aerobic exercise! It was easier the second time round as I merely topped-up the pressure when I reckoned it had fallen to about 150 bar, but I plan to make it even easier still. My stepson and son-in-law are strapping ‘lads’ in their thirties with pectorals like Terminator. I have already mentioned to my wife that we must invite them round more often…

Manco

Edited by Manco

After many years of shooting with air rifles I can confirm that airgun hunting is what I like and my favourite air rifles are a couple of Korean pcps: the Career 707 Mk 2 Carbine and the Sumatra 2500 Carbine. These pcp repeaters look like a cross between an over and under shotgun and a Winchester western rifle. I love the look but the dealer I bought the Career from, 10 years ago, referred to it as “the ugly stickâ€.

A definite plus point about living in South Africa is that it’s legal to own and possess an air rifle of any power output (provided it’s calibre is smaller than .22) without the need for a licence or firearms certificate.

As many UK hunters will know these Korean powerhouses are designed to be run flat out using Korean Eun Jin heavyweight pellets. Both guns are licensed for monkey-shooting in Korea which testifies to their ability as a hunting weapon (over there monkeys are a serious urban pest).

But you don’t have to go the whole hog as far as power is concerned: they can be adjusted by means of a ‘power wheel’ to shoot a 14 grain pellet at around 9500 fps I have found ideal for vermin like pigeons and crows and small game e.g. rabbits. At this setting both the Career and Sumatra can deliver ½ inch groups at 50 yards and can go to one inch at 70 yards. By no means a shabby performance.

What about charging the air rifles? Living in South Africa the reality may be that there is no local dive shop: for me it would mean a round trip of over 200 km to re-charge a diver’s bottle. So I opted for an air rifle stirrup pump and chose the model made by Hill’s of Sheffield, England, with the optional ‘Dry Pack’. It was nearly twice the price of some pumps on the market but it is superbly made with spare seals and filters readily available. Service from the company is excellent.

It was with trepidation that I inserted the fill probe and attempted to charge the twin reservoirs for the first time with 200 bar of pressure using a hand pump. Having reached “old bugger†status in terms of years spent on the planet I must confess that it was quite a work-out – no-one told me that air rifle shooting involved aerobic exercise! It was easier the second time round as I merely topped-up the pressure when I reckoned it had fallen to about 150 bar, but I plan to make it even easier still. My stepson and son-in-law are strapping ‘lads’ in their thirties with pectorals like Terminator. I have already mentioned to my wife that we must invite them round more often…

Manco

im also a huge fan of the 707 had one myself many moons ago, and every time they are talked about i have to take myself out side,and give myself a swift kick in the backside for selling it.

even limited to 12flb it was an awsom rifle.

atb

Andy

After many years of shooting with air rifles I can confirm that airgun hunting is what I like and my favourite air rifles are a couple of Korean pcps: the Career 707 Mk 2 Carbine and the Sumatra 2500 Carbine. These pcp repeaters look like a cross between an over and under shotgun and a Winchester western rifle. I love the look but the dealer I bought the Career from, 10 years ago, referred to it as “the ugly stickâ€.

But you don’t have to go the whole hog as far as power is concerned: they can be adjusted by means of a ‘power wheel’ to shoot a 14 grain pellet at around 9500 fps I have found ideal for vermin like pigeons and crows and small game e.g. rabbits. At this setting both the Career and Sumatra can deliver ½ inch groups at 50 yards and can go to one inch at 70 yards. By no means a shabby performance.

It was with trepidation that I inserted the fill probe and attempted to charge the twin reservoirs for the first time with 200 bar of pressure using a hand pump. Having reached “old bugger†status in terms of years spent on the planet I must confess that it was quite a work-out – no-one told me that air rifle shooting involved aerobic exercise! It was easier the second time round as I merely topped-up the pressure when I reckoned it had fallen to about 150 bar, but I plan to make it even easier still. My stepson and son-in-law are strapping ‘lads’ in their thirties with pectorals like Terminator. I have already mentioned to my wife that we must invite them round more often…

Manco

I think you added an extra zero buddy. At that velocity, it wouldnt be a pellet any more. Lol.

They are a strange looking rifle, but they seem pretty decent from the reviews Ive seen.

Kyle

Welcome to the forum Manco

I've often heard the 707's refered to as an ugly stick as well, personally I wouldn't mind one in my collection.

We have another South African Gent on here, a good bloke called Roger. Who knows maybe if your close enough to each other, you could both go batter some Rock Doves and Myna's together :thumbs:

Again Welcome.

Phantom

i know someone who has the sumatra. its a very nice looking rifle i especially like the pictures engraves just above the trigger. sounds like a cannon though when he takes silencer off.

i have 2 of these rifels a mk1 and a mk 2 one at 85 fp on ticket and 1 in 2,.5 at 12 fp i love these guns ,they are a bit noisy but so different i may be tempted to sell 1 but it will not be cheap after all hard to get now

i had these guns on ticket and 12ftlb and personally these are awsome.accurate as you like .the only downside is when turned upto there max limit you dont get many shots per fill and the accuracy also suffers.

i wish i never swapped mine for a 26ftlb rapid 17.one i had was fitted with a target stock and was absolutely beautiful..

if you have any career or sumatra keep them.youll never find a gun as good in my eyes.

mike

Hi Manco

I love the shape of the Careers and got mine extremely cheaply for a couple of reasons, firstly it was leaking and secondly the lad i acquired it from had been a naughty boy, he had been on holiday at her majesty's pleasure and wasn't allowed to have guns, he had forgotten about this and asked me to take it away (for a hundred quid!)- i didn't need asking twice :whistling:

I initially cured the leak which was a score in the valve which i removed by chucking it up in my lathe and skimming it, this was good for about a year then it leaked again, it took ages to find the source this time, it turned out to be from the front cover (the ally part with the front sight on it), two new O-rings and it's still holding air now, it was charged about four months ago and hasn't shifted on the guage :thumbs:

It's nice and quiet too, i can shoot it down the back garden without the silencer fitted without upsetting the neighbours..

Here's mine in 22 and running at 10.8 ft lbs with JSB exacts...

RifleC1.jpg

RifleC5.jpg

RifleC6.jpg

It actually came with this Hawke mildot scope fitted, a gunslip, a 12l cylinder and fill kit, a couple of hunting knives, a trigger lock in fact there was all sorts that came with it :thumbs:

riflecareer1a.jpg

Cheers, John :)

I've always found these interesting rifles and often thought about getting one. There getting rarer now and going up In cost. Still wouldn't mind one but I can't shoot all I've got now. Tempted to sell the rapid and put the cash towards one, hmmmmm..... :D

That stock looks pritty slanted (the cheek piece). I this a problem when shooting them?

I've always found these interesting rifles and often thought about getting one. There getting rarer now and going up In cost. Still wouldn't mind one but I can't shoot all I've got now. Tempted to sell the rapid and put the cash towards one, hmmmmm..... :D

That stock looks pritty slanted (the cheek piece). I this a problem when shooting them?

Hi Maty

It's actually one of the most comfy rifles to shoot that i have (and i have a few!!)

John :thumbs: