Learning Their Trade.......!

Rolfe

For the first time in many years i have started the season without any really established working ferrets. I lost three good and reliable workers this year.......just old ferrets really, but it left me with only a couple of part worked ferrets and two youngsters from this years breeding.

The snow had shut the golf course where i have a long term contract to control the rabbits so it was a perfect opportunity to give the young and inexperienced ferrets a few hours work time. Using only the quickset longnet, i was able to encompass some old sweet chestnut trees that always contain a few bunnies and give the newbies a chance to see what they could do. It always amazes me that the ferrets entered the holes under the ancient tree roots like they had been doing it all their lives just instinct i suppose. At the first tree i put in the two young jills and waited.....with young ferrets i like to leave all the holes un-netted hence i was just using the long net, it just saves the inexperienced workers pulling nets off and getting tangled in the nets. The lurcher had already marked the tree as occupied and i wasn't long before the first rabbit bolted and was soon entangled in the net but the dog was holding it also just to make sure it didn't slip the net before i got to it. Seconds later a second rabbit bolted in a shower of leaves from a hidden bolt hole and this too was swiftly balled up in the long net.The ferrets worked well and showed at all the holes so they were working well.........i honestly wasn't expecting them to work quite so well for a first time out but you never can tell at this game. Anyway........i won't bore you with all the details but suffice to say we ended the training exercise with 3 fat winter bunnies from two trees, we also missed a couple due to some unseen bolt holes that were way outside the long net.Just put up a few pictures from the outing........the one i like is the beddy/lurcher marking a tree........mine always lifts a leg in the air if there is something at home.

post-12022-0-60577600-1291137079_thumb.jpg

post-12022-0-95471300-1291137150_thumb.jpg

post-12022-0-89542400-1291137228_thumb.jpg

post-12022-0-29436300-1291137294_thumb.jpg

post-12022-0-78310900-1291137370_thumb.jpg

post-12022-0-74496600-1291137425_thumb.jpg

Nice write up and pics, they either have it or they dont, I have one of last years thats a waste of time think it will be getting given away as a pet.

Thanks..........Yes as you say some have it some don't........these are from good working stock and are fiesty little buggers but they have started off well so things are looking good. They came back to the surface quite readily but I needed to gently pull a rabbit in front of them to coax them far enough out to pick them up gently.......patience is the name of the game.....it's all to easy to make a grab for them and then you end up with a skullker that is reluctant to come to hand........Nothing worse in my opinion.

SNAP! i was out today and yesterday morning, bringing on some young stuff, working a young un ferret along an adult and my bitch showing the dog pup what to do,, patience and time required but i had a great time out, i'll pop some pics up either on this thread or another whichever you perfer..

great photos and lovely to read the write up, you've got a nice lurcher there with a brilliant coat for the weather! your ferrets look good too, nice to see pics of ferrets, normally its the dogs and rabbits with the ferrets in the box, i'm a bit smitten with my ferrets :icon_redface:

thanks for the read, all the best Annemarie

SNAP! i was out today and yesterday morning, bringing on some young stuff, working a young un ferret along an adult and my bitch showing the dog pup what to do,, patience and time required but i had a great time out, i'll pop some pics up either on this thread or another whichever you perfer..

great photos and lovely to read the write up, you've got a nice lurcher there with a brilliant coat for the weather! your ferrets look good too, nice to see pics of ferrets, normally its the dogs and rabbits with the ferrets in the box, i'm a bit smitten with my ferrets :icon_redface:

thanks for the read, all the best Annemarie

Thanks Annemarie..........My youngsters are all sivers...........stick some pictures up on this thread that fine .......it's nice to see dogs and ferrets all working together as part of a team.

Rolfe.

Think it was at least 3 years ago you promised to take me ferreting still waiting lol , great post Rolfe lets hope no bugger spoils it lol

Your welcome anytime Tracey ........Hope your good at putting nets on lol........Bring your whippet Tip would love to meet her :thumbs:

Bit parky up there today though ...........Need your long-johns on ;)