In your oppinion, the best alround dog

JoeD

Best nose and best hunting dog I've ever witnessed was my first cross collie greyhound, eye wiped many a purpose bred gundog, the shooting fraternity would like to label all lurchers as simply point and fire dogs. But a well bred lurcher with a good base line is the equivilant of and better than many gundogs.

:yes:

post-47935-0-52404500-1329725685.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you are correct. ive had lurchers a long time and all are different, the ones i keep/breed now are pritty true to type, keen and biddable and can be trained to do most things. i only train to the gun

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far betwe

depends on what you want it for, i take my lab onto the marsh and my cocker rough shooting. my mate has a springer he uses on the marsh, she's great retrieves just as well as the lab. but after the fi

Posted Images

Never ceases to amaze me that certain gundog men just can't accept that there are lurchers with better noses and hunting ability than a great deal of gundogs.

I can partly understand to an extent why they would think this I suppose, for whereas gundogs of all breeds have (or should have) a common trait IE nose, lurchers being a type rather than a breed with many different breeds in their makeup do not. Also depending on your chosen type of hunting a good nose is not a requirement and in many cases (lamping being the obvious) hunting up is frowned upon and considered a fault.

Also when you read posts asking, what should I get to find game for my lurcher,a terrier or/spaniel etc, one could be forgiven for thinking a lurcher is not capable of finding game for itself, which is wholly untrue and for me personally if a lurcher does not hunt and I don't mean bump the odd rabbit from cover but actively hunt its quarry then it's not worthy of the title lurcher.

To mooch, that I have only met shit gundogs, well I own gundogs, I beat at least a couple of days a week during the season and worked as a ghillie on a highland estate for a time where part of my duties involved walked up grouse over pointers so I think I can say I'm looking from both sides.

Perhaps you might stop for a moment and ponder that you have in fact only met shit lurchers.

To Lab tastic, your clearly a gundog man, and i don't doubt your dogs abilities, but unless you have worked lurchers in a hunting capacity over many years your not in the position to draw an accurate comparison.

This isn't a gundog versus lurcher thread as most gundogs should have better noses than most lurchers, but accept the fact there are lurchers out there that have in cases better nose and finding capabilities than a helluva lot of gundogs. Every lurcher I've owned has been an excellent hunter and I'll say again, the best hunting dog I've seen of any breed was my first cross collie/greyhound.

• Like 3

Never ceases to amaze me that certain gundog men just can't accept that there are lurchers with better noses and hunting ability than a great deal of gundogs.

I can partly understand to an extent why they would think this I suppose, for whereas gundogs of all breeds have (or should have) a common trait IE nose, lurchers being a type rather than a breed with many different breeds in their makeup do not. Also depending on your chosen type of hunting a good nose is not a requirement and in many cases (lamping being the obvious) hunting up is frowned upon and considered a fault.

Also when you read posts asking, what should I get to find game for my lurcher,a terrier or/spaniel etc, one could be forgiven for thinking a lurcher is not capable of finding game for itself, which is wholly untrue and for me personally if a lurcher does not hunt and I don't mean bump the odd rabbit from cover but actively hunt its quarry then it's not worthy of the title lurcher.

To mooch, that I have only met shit gundogs, well I own gundogs, I beat at least a couple of days a week during the season and worked as a ghillie on a highland estate for a time where part of my duties involved walked up grouse over pointers so I think I can say I'm looking from both sides.

Perhaps you might stop for a moment and ponder that you have in fact only met shit lurchers.

To Lab tastic, your clearly a gundog man, and i don't doubt your dogs abilities, but unless you have worked lurchers in a hunting capacity over many years your not in the position to draw an accurate comparison.

This isn't a gundog versus lurcher thread as most gundogs should have better noses than most lurchers, but accept the fact there are lurchers out there that have in cases better nose and finding capabilities than a helluva lot of gundogs. Every lurcher I've owned has been an excellent hunter and I'll say again, the best hunting dog I've seen of any breed was my first cross collie/greyhound.

the problem is most havent seen a good allround lurcher, only point and slip. ive taken people off this site out with mine and there always surprised at their hunting ability.

Good post mate and i mean that. Your quite correct in saying that i have little too none knowledge on lurchers, i have no problem admitting that. But its pretty frustrating to read on here how many lurchers are better at Gundog work than Gundogs are. I think Mooch had covered it quite well when he says "shit gundogs" cause thats exactly what they must be. I fully understand that a lurcher, especially with collie blood could be very useful at retrieving game, but so could a highly trained terrier or pet pooch but this doesn't have a patch on a proper working gundog.

I think Dan said it as well....when a lurcher wipes the floor on a gundog trial then thats the day i'll have to hold my hand up and say fair play. But that wont happen because a real gundog is worlds apart from a lurcher that picks a few birds here and there............. :thumbs:

• Like 1

why do the police/military/border control all use spaniels for explo/money/drugs dogs when any old mongrel would do?? could it be cause spaniels are better than bitzas.

Having owned spaniels and lurchers all my working life and round fathers before that, for work every day I take the spaniels and leave the lurchers in kennels why would that be cause no lurcher can ever do what I ask of my spaniels simple as really any one that thinks a lurcher could match them is frankly deluded.

• Like 3

why do the police/military/border control all use spaniels for explo/money/drugs dogs when any old mongrel would do?? could it be cause spaniels are better than bitzas.

Having owned spaniels and lurchers all my working life and round fathers before that, for work every day I take the spaniels and leave the lurchers in kennels why would that be cause no lurcher can ever do what I ask of my spaniels simple as really any one that thinks a lurcher could match them is frankly deluded.

mainly due to spaniels breeding true to type, this is not the case with lurchers as there makeup is endless. there is no way a spaniel could do what i ask of my lurchers and to quote your good self anyone who thinks they could is deluded :laugh: :laugh:
  • Like 1

All the services you mention above use collies also as do the likes of mountain rescue, the last time I looked the majority of dogs being used (Scotland) were collies.

You won't get any arguements from me regarding a well bred gundogs capabilities, I'm only saying what I have experienced and I'll also concede the point that the majority (not all) of the lurchers I've seen the equivilant and better than a lot of gundogs have been collie blooded.

i'll sit on the fence here and try and be everyones mate and say that many times over the years I've had a notion to own and work a gundog bred lurcher, nearly happened a few times but it didn't get off the ground. Might happen yet. Feck I'll end up falling out with myself.

:laugh: You wouldn't get this in the lurcher section of THL, I think most of us are, broadly speaking, in agreement!! Basically the best type of Gundog is the one that suits your sport. For me it's a lab 'cos I like picking up. A lurchers biggest attribute is it's speed but the best retrievers are the ones that take their time and search their ground methodically.

:laugh: You wouldn't get this in the lurcher section of THL, I think most of us are, broadly speaking, in agreement!! Basically the best type of Gundog is the one that suits your sport. For me it's a lab 'cos I like picking up. A lurchers biggest attribute is it's speed but the best retrievers are the ones that take their time and search their ground methodically.

a lurcher thats done abit will work just like that :thumbs: note there is collie in my lurchers :tongue2:

I've followed this thread with interest especially as I've worked GWP lurchers for a decade and own a pure GWP.

Everybody has an opinion of what the best type of hunting dog is,I have mine but that's just because what I like suits me and I like the way they hunt.

All the services you mention above use collies also as do the likes of mountain rescue, the last time I looked the majority of dogs being used (Scotland) were collies.

You won't get any arguements from me regarding a well bred gundogs capabilities, I'm only saying what I have experienced and I'll also concede the point that the majority (not all) of the lurchers I've seen the equivilant and better than a lot of gundogs have been collie blooded.

i'll sit on the fence here and try and be everyones mate and say that many times over the years I've had a notion to own and work a gundog bred lurcher, nearly happened a few times but it didn't get off the ground. Might happen yet. Feck I'll end up falling out with myself.

not sure a spaniel would work but If you could find a racy looking lab might make for an interesting cross 1st x might throw a bit heavy wonder if any one on here runs one?

not sure a spaniel would work but If you could find a racy looking lab might make for an interesting cross 1st x might throw a bit heavy wonder if any one on here runs one?

Line up the greyhound bitches and lets find out................ :toast:

post-47935-0-67751400-1329744133.jpg

Line up the greyhound bitches and lets find out................ :toast:

nice looking dog :thumbs: shame about the mess behind him though :whistling: :whistling: :whistling::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: