In your oppinion, the best alround dog

JoeD

my 1st gun dog was a little cocker that was very easy to train but i DID have to keep on top of it all the time she was well admired on the shoots that i beat on for her work rate but given the choice it would be a springer if i was in your shoes, as im training a young dog just now and they are much more biddable with a good prey drive .but before you get your dog just read through a few of these posts and work out what type of work you want it for dont rule out the lab tho great dogs that WILL do a good job but prepare yourself for a hell of alot of hard work as you only get out of your dog what you put into it

Edited by ftm

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you are correct. ive had lurchers a long time and all are different, the ones i keep/breed now are pritty true to type, keen and biddable and can be trained to do most things. i only train to the gun

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far betwe

depends on what you want it for, i take my lab onto the marsh and my cocker rough shooting. my mate has a springer he uses on the marsh, she's great retrieves just as well as the lab. but after the fi

Posted Images

i wouldnt reccomend a pointer as a 1st dog, labs definately fit that role more.

But its horses for courses and you might prefer the different styles of different dogs.

Nothing at all against pointers by the way i love them but they tend to be immature longer and can be a handful if they arent kept on top off as young dogs. as they mature they are a real thinking hunter.

lurcher will do what a spaniel and a lab can do plus a whole lot more :thumbs:

:rofl: :rofl:

i kid you not :tongue2: mine will work cover like a spaniel, retieve like a lab and catch stuff both the spaniel and the lab wouldnt get close to :thumbs:

No, Never and believe me i get close to them,very close............... ;)

i kid you not :tongue2: mine will work cover like a spaniel, retieve like a lab and catch stuff both the spaniel and the lab wouldnt get close to :thumbs:

No, Never and believe me i get close to them,very close............... ;)

i believe, i believe :laugh:

What i should have said my big dog can catch rabbits for fun, but a burl into a hare, straight line Roe and kill foxes with one shake. But then both of us would have been talking shite.... :laugh::tongue2:

What i should have said my big dog can catch rabbits for fun, but a burl into a hare, straight line Roe and kill foxes with one shake. But then both of us would have been talking shite.... :laugh::tongue2:

mine are identical although it takes 2 shakes :laugh:

mine are identical although it takes 2 shakes :laugh:

That'll be your age mate.......nothing worse than a dribble eh?... :laugh:

• Like 1

The last lad as made that claim bottled it when it come time to prove it lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 2

The last lad as made that claim bottled it when it come time to prove it lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ive proved it on more than one occasion check history :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Like 1

Imagine making up an excuse like "Work started in Sweden", what a wee fanny!!!..................... :boogy:

• Like 1