In your oppinion, the best alround dog

JoeD

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you are correct. ive had lurchers a long time and all are different, the ones i keep/breed now are pritty true to type, keen and biddable and can be trained to do most things. i only train to the gun

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far betwe

depends on what you want it for, i take my lab onto the marsh and my cocker rough shooting. my mate has a springer he uses on the marsh, she's great retrieves just as well as the lab. but after the fi

Posted Images

You've asked 2 different questions. 1st you asked what the best all round gundog ? Then you asked whats the best beginners gundog ?

The Springer spaniel is called the maiden of all work, The best beginners dog is a lab IMO as there MUCH calmer and easier to train.

Which one you should get depends on the shooting you want to do. I take my lab wild fowling by me and she will retrieve well, she will also hunt but will not hit cover like a spaniel will, thats why I got my springer, shes too young to work atm but when we go after the rabbits my mate brings his springer who goes through the cover like a loon and puts my lab to shame lol

The dog you should get depends on what you want it to do! That includes being a gundog, what type of working it does AND whether it is a pet aswell, in the house or kennel or whatever. Its easier to get away with having a lab in the house, my springer in the house does my head in shes bonkers but my bloody mother keeps letting them in!

Personally i would go for a spaniel, i like cockers and as long as you keep well on top of them ALL of the time then they arent too hard to train. There is nothing to choose between a good cocker and a good springer.

Labs can be given a bit more freedom without loosing all control.

Never mind what anyone says, no lab will hit cover like a spaniel will.

Sum up, spaniel for a working dog, lab for a family dog that works a bit.

BUT

If i was you i would hold back from getting the dog until you decide if you actually want to continue shooting, otherwise you might end up with a 13 year nightmare

Dan

I was in a similar situation. I went for a Lab as I was told that for a first dog a spaniel might be too much for me to handle. Having said that my lab is very strong willed and drives me mad at times.

Which ever you chose bear in mind you are going to spend two years at least working your a*se off with the dog. Where as you might only get out with the gun once a week, you'll be training that dog every day.

I didn't even pick up a shotgun till my dog was nearly a year old and we're still along way off from him being good enough to go in to the field. It's getting to the point where I am thinking about sending on a residential course....now this is going to cost me more than my first shotgun.

Just a few things worth thinking about but good luck with your choice!

i have a retriever and a sprocker, both very hard working dogs but if i had to choose, the retriever would c me out on top every time. she hits cover like an express train, windscents and groundscents, very biddable and loyal, easily handleable, she can turn her hand (paw?) to any sort of work, be it driven shooting, rough shooting, bushing, trailing wounded game and angry foxes....

the spaniel is also a very useful dog but just isnt as smart and switched on.

hope this helps

brookent.jpg

• Like 2

i have a retriever and a sprocker, both very hard working dogs but if i had to choose, the retriever would c me out on top every time. she hits cover like an express train, windscents and groundscents, very biddable and loyal, easily handleable, she can turn her hand (paw?) to any sort of work, be it driven shooting, rough shooting, bushing, trailing wounded game and angry foxes....

hope this helps

brookent.jpg

Two nice dogs there mate

just my opinion but you can't beat a gwp for the all round dog they will work the heaviest ov cover retrieve any thing they love water there a bit head strongand they will work al day on the moor in the forreast any where and they[ point] and they are stunning to look at atb kevin

hope this helps

brookent.jpg

Two nice dogs there mate

thanks fella, alot of time and effort's been put into them :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far between. So if your mainly using the dog for shooting over and you want to pick what you shoot then i'd go for the Lab. If your going to be hunting up/ flushing then go for the spaniel..... :thumbs:

• Like 3