Can you fit a moderator

I have an old Brno .222 with the fixed sight attached to the end of the barrel. Can this be removed to allow a moderator to be fitted?

All advice welcome.

Yes is the simple answer- I had a CZ in 222 with the same problem- I had to have 3 " taken off the barrel though re-threaded and a new crown

but well worth the effort

Les

sight removal is not a big job, if it is dovetailed on a small fillet can be used to replace the sight dovetail, if screw on you can juts cap the holes and polish them off.

removing inches off the barrel will effect the muzzle velocity so not everyones cup of tea

Yes in some case it can- but if kept in line with the twist rate the effect on velocity is minimumal :tongue2:

best to speek to a Gunsmith- if you have one in your area

Les :gunsmilie:

Thanks for that.

Couple more questions.

Do you need to have the mod variant on you FAC before you have the work done i.e barrel cut and screwed.

And roughly how much should it cost.

Thanks again.

Yes you need a slot on your FAC for a moderator

Between £80 and £120 I was quoted between £80 and £100 to screwcut a .243

sight removal is not a big job, if it is dovetailed on a small fillet can be used to replace the sight dovetail, if screw on you can juts cap the holes and polish them off.

removing inches off the barrel will effect the muzzle velocity so not everyones cup of tea

as 222 isnt really going to be used over 250 yards what ever loss in mv wouldnt really matter. ive got a 222 cut to 18 inches. and up to 200 yards its bang on

Thanks for that.

Couple more questions.

Do you need to have the mod variant on you FAC before you have the work done i.e barrel cut and screwed.

And roughly how much should it cost.

Thanks again.

Hi

No you don't need the mod on your ticket before you have it threaded i have had a 308 243 222 and 22wmr done in the last few months and they cost me £35 each

Geordie

Ok I guess the next question is which mod would be most suitable for this rifle and I'm not sure how they vary on price as I've never had one before.. Also if the rifle is cut and screwed can it be used without the mod? Just thinking where I would stand if for some reason I could not get the mod on my FAC.

Also if the rifle is cut and screwed can it be used without the mod? Just thinking where I would stand if for some reason I could not get the mod on my FAC.

Yes, you'll ususally get a thread protector with the screwcut but it's not essential (just stops any muck getting in the threads)

Bear in mind if you ever plan to sell the gun afterwards it will need re-proofing (some gunsmiths will always re-proof anyway and charge accordingly).