I am looking for a little help with a few questions on Clay pigeon shooting. As i am about to take up the sport as a hobbie. I have shot before but only ever game and vermin.

My first real question is do many people use side by side shotguns or is it all about over and under?

Is there a particular type of cartidge? Reason i ask is i have alot of normal game shooting cartridge will these do?

What is a trap gun?

What does Choke mean?

Thanks for taking the time to read, I would really appreciate any help

Chris

First of all don't worry about types of guns and chokes, on your fist visit go along and enjoy yourself sus it out and if you like clay shooting then you can perhaps get yourself an O/U. Most clubs have a friendly bunch of members and will help you along with the safety aspects an how to smoke a clay (not in a pipe but with a shotgun)

Answers to your questions.

1.Pretty much all clay shooters use O/U but there are S/S competitions also

2.Clay competitions are usually restricted to 28gms or 24gm cartridges depending on the discipline with a shot size of no less than a 6

3.A Trap gun is used in Trap disciplines like DTL (down the line)OT (Olympic trench) ABT (automatic ball trap) and others, usually they are O/U 30" or 32" long and are bored 3/4" and full although these days several people have them muti choked

4.Choke is when the the gun is bored out at the mussle to accept chokes, these vary in restriction so that the shot gives a more even pattern at various distances, the more open the choke is the more spread, for targets at distance you would put in a tight choke to hold the shot pattern together over the greater distance.

There is a lot to learn, but most of all be safe, take your time and ENJOY

Edited by jim_gee

Thanks for all the advise its very much appreciated, i have been shooting clays for a few months now. And have been very much enjoying it. Ive aquired a sport armi over and under and a Denton and Kennel side by side both 12 bore. Just need to get the cabinet on the wall and the guns transferred down now.

Chris