Help - how do you remove the bolt on PH rifle??

whats the bit on the end of the bolt, behind the bolt itself? managed to twist mine anti clockwise and cant turn it back so bolt wont fit back into the rifle

I'm guessing you have decock the bolt outside the rifle. I did it once with my Winchester model 70 and boy did l panic as l though l had broken my bolt. I fixed it by placing the bolt flat on a table and pushing it down on the table whilst turning it clockwise to recock it again but on hindsight the video below might have been a lot easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YvroVmnVTI

cheers Callum

Edited by mangy1983

I was about to say "I have a rifle exactly the same as this". Then I looked at the date and seller and realised that it IS the same rifle, because I bought it.

It now sports a slightly shortened, threaded barrel with a PES 12 mod, and has accounted for reds, fallow, muntjac, foxes and sika.

Good bit of thread resurrection!

£60 for the shortening and threading. That's without proof, because my interpretation of the law is that it doesn't need re-proofing for a thread cutting/shortening, as it doesn't "significantly reduce the strength of a pressure bearing part"

£60 for the shortening and threading. That's without proof, because my interpretation of the law is that it doesn't need re-proofing for a thread cutting/shortening, as it doesn't "significantly reduce the strength of a pressure bearing part"

if you are keeping the rifle its ok, but if you are selling it after shortening and rethread , i was led to believe you have to have it reproofed before sale .

You were led to believe incorrectly.

A re-proof is only necessary if something is done that could potentially significantly weaken a pressure bearing part.

This is down to the proof houses. People forget that they are businesses, and make money from proofing. Their marketing is sometimes a little inventive. The letters they have sent to many RFD's (who take them at face value) are quite misleading.

The gun barrel proof act 1868 is the relevant piece of legislation, and in particular section 111 (linked to)

The act states that:-

The Gun Barrel Proof Act 1868, Section 111.

Barrels reduced so that the Mark does not represent the Proof to be deemed unproved.

If any Barrel which shall be marked as proved under the recited Act or this Act shall by any Process of Manufacture, or by any other Means whatsoever other than the User and Wear and Tear thereof, be unduly reduced in Substance or Strength so as that the Mark thereon does not duly represent the Proof which if then duly proved it would bear, every such Barrel shall for the Purposes of this Act be deemed an unproved Barrel.

Now removing a couple of inches from the end of the barrel, and cutting a screw thread, does not constitute an "undue reduction in substance or strength" as "the mark thereon" would still be valid, and so the barrel can be considered still in proof.

On a purely practical note, if I have a rifle screw cut, and then a couple of years later sell it, how is anyone to prove that I had the screw cutting done? It was like that when I bought it!

Edited by matt_hooks