What knife should i get

thanks for all these different knife's your sugesting although most of them are folding knifes which im not overly keen on.

i think it will have to be 2 different knifes probably a cheapie one like the moira (but find a nicer sheath for it) for the farm as ill no-doubt use it as a screwdriver or leaver and snap it at some point.

i shall browse through the list of makes you have listed for a nice hunting tool.

keep the sugestions coming though its all helpfull.

dose the blade angle make much diffence too???

Another thought Azman - Make your own, loads of kits about, that way you get to pick the tang you need and then have the pleasure of knowing you made it :)

ohhhh i like that idea, be nice to have a personal hunting knife.

As mentioned get one of these... http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=92,304&P_ID=1276&CAT_ID=304&numRecordPosition=1

Carbon steel, cheap and does the job perfect.

Avoid the bladetechs they do sharpen knives to a point but chip the blades edge also... Get a stone or decent diamond sharpener..

A good quality sheath knife costing around £70 with a strong back to the blade would be a good start,Stainless steel blades af good quality do have carbon in them and this means the blade is rust resistant but holds a bloody good edge,when you sharpen the blade don't make the cutting edge to thin or the blade will crack, the fiskar knives are great knives for butchering your catch but in the field I would say a strong blade from say Boker would be a safe bet,had one for around 20 yaers no problems,as has been said before, there is no real need for a gut hook but if needed, try a fixed blade type, as a hook on your general knife will impeed you actions when using it, hope this helps, good luck

Edited by hitshot

Aye

I have bloody loads of knives but the two that see the most use (apart from my Case whittler pocket knife,which goes everywhere with me) are the Schrade old timer gut hook and the Mora as shown in the above links (dont get the stainless version)

ATB

I was given a Helle knife for my 21st, now i know knifes are brought to be used ect ect but i cant bring myself to use this one just yet.

Ive had a fair few in the past, from folding straight bladed greber, to the swiss army pocket knife, and even the bowie (5inch) but i cant seem to find one that lasts very long (working on a farm they tend to get chiped or blunt within a few days use.

Im looking for one with a guthook, non-folding but keeps its edge for some time, it also needs to be able to take heavy duty useage from being a farm worker aswell as a hunter, and has a sheath too.

now maybe there isnt one knife that will do what i need, and maybe i should get a nice knife for hunting ( with a gut hook) then a straight blade for work.

any ideas on what make/model to go for? looking round the internet gives me about 300 to chose from.

Hi

I bought a knife with a gut hook a long time ago and wished i hadn't if you want a gut hook get a stanley knife and buy some linoleum hook blades then throw them away when you have finished with them

Geordie

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?brand=kershaw&search_by=category&search_value=3&current_page=1&current_set=1

Have a look through them pal you can also buy these from most snap on shops or companies that deal with snapon this also insures you for life as snap on give life time garantees on everything they sell(i get mine buy asing the mechanic down the road to order them in for me as they have a snapon van that comes every week selling tools and the like .

hope this helps sam

I Use an Opinel number 5 when im out, some may consider it small but its completly legal can have it with you at all times if you like and i personely have never had a problem doing anything i need with it. Use an Opinel number 8 at home in the shed.

If its a lock knife (most Opinels) its not legal without good reason (ie work, fishing, shooting etc) the only knives legal to carry at ALL times are non locking with sub 3" blades mate, hate you to get caught out.

I was given a Helle knife for my 21st, now i know knifes are brought to be used ect ect but i cant bring myself to use this one just yet.

Ive had a fair few in the past, from folding straight bladed greber, to the swiss army pocket knife, and even the bowie (5inch) but i cant seem to find one that lasts very long (working on a farm they tend to get chiped or blunt within a few days use.

Im looking for one with a guthook, non-folding but keeps its edge for some time, it also needs to be able to take heavy duty useage from being a farm worker aswell as a hunter, and has a sheath too.

now maybe there isnt one knife that will do what i need, and maybe i should get a nice knife for hunting ( with a gut hook) then a straight blade for work.

any ideas on what make/model to go for? looking round the internet gives me about 300 to chose from.

Get ya Helle used mate they have a lifetime guarantee I broke my Helle Harding spliting logs and it was replaced within a couple of days from the factory in Norway plus they sent me a few extras for my inconvenience :laugh: and all I had to do was email them a picture of the broken knife :thumbs:

If its a lock knife (most Opinels) its not legal without good reason (ie work, fishing, shooting etc) the only knives legal to carry at ALL times are non locking with sub 3" blades mate, hate you to get caught out.

It dosen't lock mate, Iv only just started to see them. I think its probably designed to to coply with the law, but on second thaughts the origanl poster probably wont find it much use but for general mooching there brill.