great nights foxing over in herefordshire

my mate dave asked me if i fancied a night out fox shooting again over his permissions in herefordshire. got to daves around 7pm we loaded up the 4x4 and set off.

the night was perfect not to cold but a little bit of chill in the wind. cloud over head blocking the moon and just enough wind so it wasnt dead still. nothing worse when its dead still and a fox picks up every noise.

the wind gives you a little bit of silence which is helpful. we set off down to the 1st permission that we went to the week befoe. but couldnt get onto it as the gate was padlock. and dave couldnt find the book with code in for the padlock. we he had it this time and in to the field we went. very big fields with path around the outside of them. come into the 1st turning got the rpa 22/250 set up on the bonnet at a angle so i could see both left and right in the field.

started to call. the lamp he uses is a bliz 240 with out filter or dimmer. it works a treat for the simple fact we didnt flick it on till last min. we get the foxes in range by calling and looking through the gen 2+ night vision. this has a massive field of view and can see a fox to distance you would shoot at in the day let alone at night.

10 mins past and after seeing 30 to 40 rabbits dave spoted a what he said was a fox but did look like a cat as he was in long grass coming up i looked through the zeiss victory scope to make sure of id. anyway soon as it turned i see the foxes face and big ears and let him have it. got him and down he went the 50 grain blizkings really hit home well in 22/250 much better then the vmax i gave found.

carried on calling and then went and got the fox put him in a big tube in back of the 4x4. went down the paths to other call points. seen two more but they where interested but wouldnt come running to call. but sort of made there way round wind of us. the soh twas on for dave and his 6br a range of 260 yards which is fair old way at night but dave does no the set up well. anway fox wouldnt stay still and dave done the right thing and didnt take the shot. that foxes time come later.

we had a call about but nothing then we left up the paths. we lamped one big hill didnt see anything but soon as we come round the path dave flicked the lamp back on that hill to see the fox. we went back round dave got on the floor ready and i flicke dthe bliz on. 225 yards ranged and the fox dropped instantly to the 75 grain vmax barking out the 6 br.

we put him in the tray and moved on to a new farm he has got permission on. we had two from this the week before but this time we went up to the fields by the farm itself. nothing in 1st field then into second. night vision on and there was 5 foxes ! rangeing from 230 yards up to over 300. one come to call i shot that we waited and then went up the field. one come back out but was soon gone. so we picked up the fox i shot and went to the other end of the farm. we see one milling about it wa slike a game of at and mouse.

got the gun out he gone put the gun away lamp on he was back. we left him went to the top field and see 3 more in night vision. to far and not the best palce for a shot. as we went back down the lane the fox was there again. gun out off he went. dave said i no a gate that will lead us up to the other 3 foxes so off we went. couldnt get into it. as we where driving back past we said i bet that other single one would still be there.

true to the word he was we drove past turned round and come back. on top of the 4x4 dave go tthe br ready on went the lamp and he slippe doff to a ditch. nv on a call and he was out. night vision off lamp on and bang the 75 grain vmax again showing how well it expands.

he went in the tub and off we went to look at some fields on way home. drove up a lane to where a big hill with 360 view at the top sits. gt is allways locked though. can get the key but it was late. past it and **** law the gate was open. int ot there we went to the top of this hill. got out got the coat on the floor and dave said get the rifle ready i will call and look at the nv to see whats about. 10 mins and fox was spoted at 300 yards. he was working a way up the field by some tall bales.

he wasn tvery intested in the call but not bothered by it to scare him. soon as dave changed his hand call to a hare sound he started working over. ready he said your have to be quick. lamp on 150 yard neck shot must have gone in hit some bone and when we go tthere the back of his head was opened up.

in all a cracking night i wont forget in a hurry. we see a total of around 13 foxes. 5 shots 5 kills. ranges from 100 yards up to150 yards and daves 225 yarder carcker.

sorr if the post went on abit guys but i like to see some write ups on here. and hope the write up gives you abit of a idea what the night was like.

PS. we see ton's of rabbits so rimfire night will be up on here soon :yes: here are some pics. of my 3 and daves two and then final tally of 5.

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

• Like 1

Well done to the 2 of you Jamie ,what night vison are you using mate im thinking of getting 1 as they defo seem to have there uses.Nice pics also buddy :thumbs:

hi mate its gen 2 + bino's i dont no there spec there my friends. i will ask him. they are very good they can see a fox out to over 400 yards pretty easy i would say. with the ir on.

if foxes are lamp shy its great in the dark using nv and the call. i no for a fact the last one we had if we had gone in the field he was in with lamp on he would have gone in a instant.

but the night vision then the shock of the lamp on got him still enough for a shot

Edited by jamie g

Well done to the 2 of you Jamie ,what night vison are you using mate im thinking of getting 1 as they defo seem to have there uses.Nice pics also buddy :thumbs:

hi mate its gen 2 + bino's i dont no there spec there my friends. i will ask him. they are very good they can see a fox out to over 400 yards pretty easy i would say. with the ir on.

if foxes are lamp shy its great in the dark using nv and the call. i no for a fact the last one we had if we had gone in the field he was in with lamp on he would have gone in a instant.

but the night vision then the shock of the lamp on got him still enough for a shot

Good write up mate, I have heard a lot of praise about these night vision scopes but to see a fox out to 400yds at night they must be something special, I suppose if you pay up to £2,000 they would need to be.

Sounds like a cracking night lads.

yes was a very good night lads. i did ask my friend about the nv a friend of his built it for him. cost him around 600 pound. to buy the same spec in the shop or form the guy that built it would prob come into around 1600 pound.

to be fair i wasn't keen on nv to start with. even though i no its good i just perfer to lamp. but after watching it put to good use in the field on those shy foxes you can call them in abit in total darkness. flick the lamp on and get a chance to shoot at the foxes you might not get with lamp alone.

i couldnt aford to buy one but if you have the dosh to get one. then it earns its way.

we are off to our other friends this weekend coming and we are going to try the same idea there. because his foxes are becoming very shy to the lamp.

which is weird as he never really misses much. must be poachers in the area who are lamping ? inturn making the foxes shy