night shooting of gamebirds

Guest baldie

This topic has caused controversy in the past.It is illegal, to shoot gamebirds between one hour after dusk, and one hour before dawn, as laid down in section four of the 1831 game act.This is irrespective of whether the shooter has permission , or not, please remember this, in posts.

Guest Deerstalker

It is a long time that one hour mate and there will be a few game birds taken in the dark legally as there are a lot of deer taken well in to the night with the use of really good optics. I say dont brake the law use it to your advantage .

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Vermin;They can be shot at night, but no bird can be shot using artificial light.

:icon_eek: Doesn't that put a lot of Pest Controllers in ~ if ye'll pardon the pun ~ The Spot Light, mate?

Road Hackers (Feral Rock Doves). Annecdotally, I was given to understand that the rifle mounted spot beam was de rigguer when knocking them over at night. Call the local Police. Save the ARV an outing. Slip inside the premises. Do the job. Case the weapon. Go away.

Strictly speaking, shooting ferals etc in buildings with a lamp/torch is breaking the law, however, i doubt anyone would prosecute for it, but pheasants are a different kettle of fish.It may be that proffessional vermin controllers have exemptions issued by defra, much the same as foresters get exemptions for night shooting of deer.

Its not my point, becouse I live in Belgium, but a "1831 game act" says enough to me.

Made in a time all poor b*****ds where poaching for the pot, the lords and dukes and sir's of your country want to save "their hunting grounds" (say, the whole United kingdom :D )

Time's are changed since then, and people can hunt (and kill vermin) much more effective and humanly now.