'Noose Poles' / Animal Graspers ~ How Do We Make Them?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ok. We all know the principal. In USA they call them " Snare Poles " (bit emotive, in uk). Professional catalogues in uk sell them as " Dog Graspers ". I want to make one for Mink. I'm about to use Cage Traps for mink and have no Despatch Gun. Sorry, but No Way am I thrusting my hand into a mink filled cage. " Welding Gloves " or not!

So, following a natter in Chat recently, I now have before me an 8" length of standard copper pipe. What? 1/2" bore? I've poked a length of plastic coated washing line through it. Now I have a noose that'll slip over minkys head. Then, holding the pipe in one hand, I pull the two loose ends to tighten the noose enough to restrain him ..... Then what? I'm f*cked!

Is there any recognised and tested way of rigging one of these things up so that I can free one of my hands, to open the cage and manually despatch that mink?

Anyone?

:signthankspin:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a set of instructions for building one. Pat used PVC conduit, I used galvanized for a little more heft. You could adjust the length of the handle and cable to suit your needs. Personally, I'd want my fingers a little further than 8" from a mink. Those little b*****ds have sharp teeth and are flexible enough to make a snake jealous.

http://www.terrierman.com/snarepole2.htm

snarepole.jpg

For an immediate solution to your situation, try this - Once you've pulled the noose tight, fold the ends you're holding back over the handle keeping 'em tight to the back end, then grasp 'em under the hand you're using to hold the handle.

Hope that makes sense. Hard to describe, but easy to do.

Edited by bshadle

two ways i use when cage trapping whether its rats squirrels mink etc,i have a sheridan .20 cal co2 pistol very quick,or a hessian sack fitted snug around the entrance lift door with bent wire give inmate a poke,shoots into corner of sack administer last rights with stout piece of stick, my preferance hazel or ash a

bout12 inches long. ps you mentioned the other day about woodja selling dvds where could i get one from?

CHEERS :drink::drink:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Flexible enough to make a snake jealous.

:rofl:That did it for me, mate! Brilliant! :laugh:

Anyway, yeppers, Thanks. I understand perfectly what ye mean about the bend and grip routine. I'll go with that - and probably my rubberised palm gloves too. Reckon that ~ coupled with the high tension situation of it all ~ should keep me focused.

In my ( :drink: ) dreams, I've toyed with everything from 'some sort of' sliding, wooden toggle, to a spring loaded affair which would snap tight enough, without too tight ..... Dream on, eh?! Think I'd sooner trust to my own fear stricken grip of death! :laugh:

And don't worry; This'll be used just to push his head out of the door. Then it's all over to MC Hammer! ;) I have a light and handy little Pin Hammer I've found is a cracker for this sort of job.

Mole Trap; I always used a Webley Tempest, mate. But I had to leave that one in UK, due to the laws here. My choice now would be the 22/44. That barrel must have been designed for the job and a set of walnut grips gives one a weapon to die for :) I don't know if they'll Ever let me have a Pistol here though. It's Seriously curtailing my work and thus I'm getting imaginative now.

Sacks, sticks, 'The New Forest Method'? I make a point of Never opening a cage till I have Complete control of what's inside it, man. Again, I just don't want my fingers that close to anything not behind bars, even for a split second.

Regards Woodga's superb DVD? I don't know if the details are still around this places Home Page? Failing that, PM or E Mail the man himself ;)

Cheers for the input, lads. I'm lining up for the big push, starting end of the week. I feel this one could be fun! :D

Flexible enough to make a snake jealous.

:rofl:That did it for me, mate! Brilliant! :laugh:

Anyway, yeppers, Thanks. I understand perfectly what ye mean about the bend and grip routine. I'll go with that - and probably my rubberised palm gloves too. Reckon that ~ coupled with the high tension situation of it all ~ should keep me focused.

In my ( :drink: ) dreams, I've toyed with everything from 'some sort of' sliding, wooden toggle, to a spring loaded affair which would snap tight enough, without too tight ..... Dream on, eh?! Think I'd sooner trust to my own fear stricken grip of death! :laugh:

And don't worry; This'll be used just to push his head out of the door. Then it's all over to MC Hammer! ;) I have a light and handy little Pin Hammer I've found is a cracker for this sort of job.

Mole Trap; I always used a Webley Tempest, mate. But I had to leave that one in UK, due to the laws here. My choice now would be the 22/44. That barrel must have been designed for the job and a set of walnut grips gives one a weapon to die for :) I don't know if they'll Ever let me have a Pistol here though. It's Seriously curtailing my work and thus I'm getting imaginative now.

Sacks, sticks, 'The New Forest Method'? I make a point of Never opening a cage till I have Complete control of what's inside it, man. Again, I just don't want my fingers that close to anything not behind bars, even for a split second.

Regards Woodga's superb DVD? I don't know if the details are still around this places Home Page? Failing that, PM or E Mail the man himself ;)

Cheers for the input, lads. I'm lining up for the big push, starting end of the week. I feel this one could be fun! :D

ditch,just cut a slot in the the end of the the pipe,tie a knot in the cable so it will line up with slot when pulled tight ,pull cable through to where it would meet the slot and pull knot down into slot to lock.if that makes any sense.

Around here most farm and feed stores sell a "hog catcher" that looks real similar to what I built, except the cable routes through a narrower metal tube inside the outer tube. They put a rectangular washer-like bit of metal on the end that jams at an angle to lock the inner shaft once you pull it back. The problem it causes is the inner shaft is now sticking out 1' - 2' past the back of the pole. It's sometime hard to find room to work it inside a hole WITHOUT that extra length.

Plus I'm a cheap b*****d. The hog catchers sell for $40 USD, I had the galvanized conduit left over from running an electric line in my basement and only had to buy the cable and stop. Cost me <$3, would have only been about $6 if I'd had to buy the conduit too.

If I REALLY wanted a way to hold it in place other than my grip, AND I was using something softer than galvanized cable (maybe 550/parachute cord) I might try one of those spring-loaded barrel toggles they use on rucksack cords and parka hoods.

Have one for me :drink: and keep your fingers back from those buggers. They got an attitude like a ferret with a sore a**, and an elastic band for a backbone.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Bull's; I'm afraid ye lost me completely there, mate! I just can't figure out what ye getting at :blink:

Jacob; I see what ye mean, mate. But that'd tend to rely on a 'One Size Fits All' idea. The loop size would be set by the length of tube. Depth of slot And exact positioning of the knot. With me? What may hold - without strangling - a Buck Mink may prove too loose for a Bitch. That could prove a Real bitch for me! :icon_eek:

Bshadle; Not exactly clear on the 'sliding washer' idea, mate? Length of this tool doesn't matter so much because I'll just be poking it through the bars of a cage. Once I have the creature secure I can calm down and take my time about guiding it out the door a bit. I'll be working with plenty of elbow room. Make sense?

I too had thought of those plastic toggles; Just not sure I'd trust the strength of them when the heat's on. Also, I figure Para Cord would be a swine to get over a fast moving head. Loop would tend to close up under its own weight. Washing line is stiffer ;)

Anyway guys, to help ye visualise all this, here's what I have so far. Not much, but a basis to start from?

Restraint Tool Mk 1.

Let's crack this one lads. It'll surely be useful to others? :good:

Think I got it, mate.

Get yourself one of those little cleats like they use to wrap the cord on a cheap roll-up blind. They're a miniature version of a boat cleat. You could even make a workable one by bending a piece of strap.

___ ..................................___

.....\________________/

Fasten it length-wise to the back end of the handle. Probably pop-rivets would be easiest.

Pull your noose tight, wrap a few turns around the cleat, even a figure eight if you wanted to be fancy. Voila! You could then hold the cord tight with one finger.

Edited by bshadle

[

___ ..................................___

.....\________________/

Fasten it length-wise to the back end of the handle. Probably pop-rivets would be easiest.

Pull your noose tight, wrap a few turns around the cleat, even a figure eight if you wanted to be fancy. Voila! You could then hold the cord tight with one finger.

:blink: ditch, if you use more than one knot ,to go into slot it would give you the adjustment youd need wouldnt it.

Cant you just push a stick into the cage and pin down the mink while with the other hand wear a welding glove open the trap and grab it. Or just drop the cage trap with mink inside into a drum of water? Or would that be illegal? :blink: If it isnt then surely its the safest way ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Jacob; Nice! I could tie the cord round a cleat with a flick of my wrist. I Like the way ye thinking, mate! I'll sit and mull that one over :good:

Witton; Drowning a caged mammal may or may not be illegal in this country. It would be totally, morally and ethically reprehensible though, either way.

However, doing it with anyone who'd even contemplate such a vile act? I'd say That'd only be illegal. FFS!