'Noose Poles' / Animal Graspers ~ How Do We Make Them?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditch-Your circumstances may prevent you from owning one but what pest controller does not own an airgun of some sort ?Talking about the legal side of things ie drowning it ,it is also an offence in England to possess ,own a draw stick of any description [Ask your local wildlife officer :( ].Can't believe the airgun is not an option !.Your only choice is to shake it out into the sack and priest it mate .

Guest Ditch_Shitter
What pest controller does not own an airgun of some sort ?

Oh that's easy, Drops: One who lives in Eire; Where there's a Mandatory prison sentance for holding an unliscenced weapon! No passing go. No 200. JAIL! :icon_eek:

I use a catch pole, But it's alot bigger than what You need. Use it for releasing non targets from my coyote traps like fisher, bocat, fox and coon. Used it just once this fall to release a bobcat.

It's made of PC pipe and has a clothes line tightener on the end. I think you could dispatch a rabbit with it, but I it's a little big for mink. Made with a smaller cable it probably would work fine.

I'll post a pic later to show you what I'm talking about. Should be real easy to make.

:clapper:

Jacob; Nice! I could tie the cord round a cleat with a flick of my wrist. I Like the way ye thinking, mate! I'll sit and mull that one over :good:

Witton; Drowning a caged mammal may or may not be illegal in this country. It would be totally, morally and ethically reprehensible though, either way.

However, doing it with anyone who'd even contemplate such a vile act? I'd say That'd only be illegal. FFS!

:clapper::clapper:

DS,

Just got an idea that'd make the design much easier.

Bet you could slide a foot or so of flexible snare wire inside the casing of para cord on the loop end to hold your loop open. Wouldn't have to go all the way to the pulling end, so you'd still have the flexibility on that end to wrap on the cleat.

Whataya think?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

What do I think? I think we've, quite possibly, just about cracked it, gentlemen! :D

I have a reel of 1.2mm steel 'rope' here, which I use for making Mink Snares. That stuff's so strong they could have used it on Sadda's! But it would likely have cut his head off. Amusing, in his case. Not so when trying to humanely control a bloody mink!

But, yes; Pass it through some Para Cord sleeving and we have all the strength of the steel. We have the Humanity of the soft outer covering. I can Crimp the ends of the wire noose with my purpose made crimps, then lash on another bit of full para cord, which will lash round Jacob's kleat, no bother! :good:

Now, I Was about to sit here and go into one about 'Traps are out. Mink may appear. Shops are shut and where the hell do I find a kleat in a land locked, rural town?!' I was thinking: " Kleat = Chalndery store " (I come from a sea faring home town). But then the slightly misted brain cells kicked in:

All this talk of 'Epoxies' and such ....? Surely it can't be beyond even My wit to stick a blob of that stuff on the Tube. Lay a 2" Nail into it and ..... :D Grind both ends off before hand and there's a Great little Lashing Kleat!

Right; Now how the hell do I find a yard or so of Para Cord in Leitrim?!

I'm thinking Youngsters! They get out and about to places and are always suckers for Anything pertaining to " Rambo ". Bound to be one of them with some stashed away, somewhere ;)

I can't wait to make - and try out! - the first, Proto Type, " The Hunting Life Mink Restrainer " ! :D

THANKS, Lads! :good:

DS

I used to do a bit of pest control and always used an air rifle and still have it here beside me fully licensed and legal. My cousin is still a professional pest controller and he has was also and uses one on a regular basis.

Whatever you do, do not ask the Gardai about licensing laws, 99% of them haven't a clue and they will tell you it's illegal rather than bother finding out for you.

You would be far better contacting the NARGC (National Association of Regional Game Councils) who are doing a great job in fighting these cases for honest, law abiding people who are at the mercy of some power hungry local Superintendent.

These Superintendents need to realise that their job is to uphold the law and not make up their own laws just to save paperwork.

It might mean you have to fork out a membership fee to join the NARGC, but then again a couple of euro is irrelevant considering the hassle it is causing you.

OK, out of breath now, rant over!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I quite agree about the COSHH implications of using a pole, Drops. Unfortunately, my own appraisal leaves me no other option at present :( It's that or 'The Irish Way', which I find ethically repugnant, regardless of legal standing.

With regard to NARGC? Been there. Tried that. They don't accept individual memberships. One can only get under their wing as a member of a Gun Club. And the local clubs are far worse than the Freemasons! Getting into them makes S.A.S Selection seem like a stroll down to the Boy Scouts hut!

So, ye see? I'm basicaly shafted and indeed am at the mercy of some Superintendant of the Garda in a town about twenty miles from me, who's never heard of me and who has who knows what views on strange immigrants holding lethal weapons :(