dogs nail smashed off down the quick

Guest tillytop2510

Guest tillytop2510

recently my dog went missing and was thankfully found next day.

he must of ran something on a hard surfice or road as his nail on his little toe has split about 4mm of the nail off all the way round exposing the quick, any tips on healing or is it just a case of the nail growing back over, dog limping on it but obviously really sensitive,

anyone suffered this before?

any speady sugestions or just rest and time for nail to grow?

my bitch done it years ago, kept it clean, bit antibiotic powder, on lead for till healed, cant remember how long the healing process took, anyway nail grew in curving outwards. came off a couple other times no matter how long i left it to heal, in the end shes left with a stub for a nail, doesnt affect her working abilaties at all. :thumbs:

Any decent dgreyhound vet will take it of for pennys . Sometimes it will still keep spliing after the nails of (worst case senario) if so toe comes of and dogs still more than able so wouldnt worry . Tend to agree though get the nail out now rather than let it grow in to then get it sorted just waisted time .

Kris

i agree entirely with those above, cut the nail right back, :thumbs:

my dog ripped her nail entirely off while climbing into the tractor, it healed perfectly after a couple of weeks of keeping it clean, nail grew back perfectly, it took a while to grow back but i cant even remember which nail it was now.

another time she stepped on something sharp which cut cleanly halfway through the nail but severed the quik, trimmed away the dead nail + dead quik and nail healed perfect, no deformities at all.

If you've never dealt with it before, go to a vet, because none of us are actually SEEING the injury you are talking about, all the advice being given may be completely wrong. However what we do for split/broken/smashed nails is as soon as possible after the injury, we cut the nail back all the way to the quick (as in to the furry part of the toe), and if it has been a few hours after the injury, we soak the foot in hot water/epsom salts to encourage bleeding to relieve the pressure on the toe.