Foxes

Guest Lurchers2006

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the prob u or your [bANNED TEXT] may have with this dog takeing fox's by daytime and not on the lamp is that sometime or another he may have had a bad experiance on the lamp, with a fox either as a pup or as a young dog, but there may also be other factors which maybe considered, i.e the type of breed of the dog or the way it has been entered to fox at an early age. i am a big believer in haveing the right tools for the job, therfore if you are going to pursue fox's daytime or night time, i think that a bull cross is the only way forward. then it is down to the man who is holding the lead to decide how much bull he needs to do the job, some people would like an all round type of animal, therfore i would go for a three quarter cross-breed with maybe a 2nd cross of a mixture of lurcher breeding, or if you are just going out to kill fox's and nothing else i would go for a 2nd cross bull greyhound. please note as you may know there are many bull breeds i prefer the pitt type as i tend to find these very hard on the mouth and will put substance and body into a small greyhound bitch.

plz let me know what you think to these comments, all the best lee.

It actually takes more for a dog to kill in the daytime then at night. ;)

Frank.

youve lost me on that one :blink: i think a lot of people under estimate the actual running ability of the fox , they take some catching day or night :D

Sorry, prehaps i should of made my self more clear.

In the daytime, the fox on his own ground, will in most cases, escape.

But, when lamped and if the dog is sliped right, the fox gets dazzled and makes for a ditermined dog, to come to turms with the fox easier.

Frank.

It actually takes more for a dog to kill in the daytime then at night. ;)

Frank.

youve lost me on that one :blink: i think a lot of people under estimate the actual running ability of the fox , they take some catching day or night :D

Sorry, prehaps i should of made my self more clear.

In the daytime, the fox on his own ground, will in most cases, escape.

But, when lamped and if the dog is sliped right, the fox gets dazzled and makes for a ditermined dog, to come to turms with the fox easier.

Frank.

dont no if i agree there frank ithink the only advantage at night you can get closer to them easier..once the fox is out of the beam he is surley harder to catch ..as in day time your dog can see him better ...the fox is mainly noctonal.{.spelt wrong}.and knows his terroity well so i think they are equally as hard ..day or night as they say frank theres nothing as cunning as a ..........the reason there caught more at night is because they are out mire at night ..i dont no to much about foxing as somebody will proberly tell me when they read this ..but it just seems common sense....if iam wrong please enlighten me ...
Guest Lurchers2006
I think the prob u or your [bANNED TEXT] may have with this dog takeing fox's by daytime and not on the lamp is that sometime or another he may have had a bad experiance on the lamp, with a fox either as a pup or as a young dog, but there may also be other factors which maybe considered, i.e the type of breed of the dog or the way it has been entered to fox at an early age. i am a big believer in haveing the right tools for the job, therfore if you are going to pursue fox's daytime or night time, i think that a bull cross is the only way forward. then it is down to the man who is holding the lead to decide how much bull he needs to do the job, some people would like an all round type of animal, therfore i would go for a three quarter cross-breed with maybe a 2nd cross of a mixture of lurcher breeding, or if you are just going out to kill fox's and nothing else i would go for a 2nd cross bull greyhound. please note as you may know there are many bull breeds i prefer the pitt type as i tend to find these very hard on the mouth and will put substance and body into a small greyhound bitch.

plz let me know what you think to these comments, all the best lee.

You could be right diggit as he bought this dog at 3 years old takeing everything except deer, so he doesnt know how he was entered. My mate is mainly a daytime hunter lots of terrier work and flushing from cover and the dog has served him well but didnt do the business on the lamp.This dog has no bull blood but is powerful. The bull crosses are the job my own has 1/4 at the most in him and i didnt no this when i bought him.He has taken 3 in the day but not run 1 on the lamp as of yet.

Frank-you need to get out with the bullx boys mate .Diggit is right in saying that these dogs are the ONLY SERIOUS FOX LURCHERS .The beauty of this cross in my eyes is that they are not fussy about where they grab hold and secure as opposed to some of the other mixes.100% fox dogs worry noy if its day or night ,they just have to get a tooth hold no matter what .You also say daytime foxes are on own ground ,so too of a nighter .Even if it is a travelled fox,he will know where to elude capture ,given half a chance .Most foxes escape through human error in positioning the dog .

Good hunting to you all and a merry christmas .

Guest Lurchers2006

As i said about my mates dog not hitting them on the lamp and mine being young and needing to be entered on the lamp, maybe if the two were run double handed it would get mine started and maybe get the other fella doin them on the lamp? Or should i just give my fella a go single handed?

the bitch ive got will try to bowl them over when out lamping, ive seen her stand back when a fox stands his ground, then she will try to knock him over and end it, in the day time she is on top, she will go into cover and hunt them out, today she hunted 2 on top, i was watching her from the top of abank she was going like mad along the bottom of the bank just a few yards from him, they do take some catching in the day compared to lamping a big field. i think a dog that catches in the day will catch at night, all mine have, but this one chooses her moment.

Guest Lurchers2006
the bitch ive got will try to bowl them over when out lamping, ive seen her stand back when a fox stands his ground, then she will try to knock him over and end it, in the day time she is on top, she will go into cover and hunt them out, today she hunted 2 on top, i was watching her from the top of abank she was going like mad along the bottom of the bank just a few yards from him, they do take some catching in the day compared to lamping a big field. i think a dog that catches in the day will catch at night, all mine have, but this one chooses her moment.

What cross is she redrob?