has any 1 had or knows or have seen work

Guest deerhound hunter

24 inches to the shoulder.

This took her about an hour to dig when we were camping.

As a worker, well she's only starting this winter so it's hard to say much yet. She's been ferreting a couple of times and her concentration is good. She's learning to listen and she's ready for bolts.

Lamping is taking longer. She goes down the beam like a rocket then gets unsighted on the first turn. After a few outings like this I took her with my 12 year old collie greyhound and ran them as a pair and she got her first rabbit. She now needs to go on her own again.A bad sign is that when she loses a rabbit in cover she barks at it. I put this down to over excitment and hope she'll grow out of it when she's caught a few.

WHERE DID YOU GET HER AS A PUP MATE WAS SHE BRED IN LARNE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is important to remember that the Airedale in the UK has not been bred as a working dog for well over half a century, so the only dogs/bitches which would have been bred from in more recent years will have been show only stock.

My Airedale came from imported Canadian/US working lines, which are a whole different kettle of fish to what is currently being bred from in the UK. In fact, although I've only seen a few 'pet' English Airedales, both mentally and physically they are light years away from my Redline bitch (Redline is a term which was coined for a certain strain of working Airedales in the US, most of these being smooth or broken coated)

Glad the pups are coming on well: my little darlings aren't quite so advanced as I've been mega busy of late, but they too have inherited the 'mole' gene :laugh::whistling::icon_eek: Very sharp, and although I'm rearing two together both sit, come and walk nicely on the lead. Retrieving is something I do very gently, generally calling the pup to me for a fuss when I see it carrying something in its mouth, then letting it go again still carrying its prize. Both my pups carry naturally, but so does their sire.

Something I'll be intrigued to see as they all grow older is whether or not they look the same. At the moment my two seem to look far more Saluki-ish than the others. Time will tell.

I`me glad your garden is getting trashed too.... :yes:

She`s settled in well and loves tug of war with the Bull Crosses, She is difficult to tire out... :good:

so all good so far

• 1 month later...
Guest deerhound hunter

as the above says, as i have a 9 month old pup with airedale in it,it was the sire that had in it ,bull x airedale grey,the sire was a dog called cob from scotland ,i,ve spoke to a few lads of here that knows the dog and has seen it work ,i was told it was out the pie lines,not to go much about that..lol..lol,just wondering if has seen or owns 1 how they in a lurcher mix,not done much with pup just a bit ferreting and abit stockbreaking.any pics would be nice ...thanks for reading it ......cheers....dh

:thumbs:

i new somebody who brought a 13month old airedale greyhond i lamped the dog a few times it seemed to have a amaizing nose but wasnt over blessed with bottle or brain perhaps thats why it was sold to the lad i new. thats my experience but its only based on one dog. atb trigger

airdale with not much bottles cant see that

i new somebody who brought a 13month old airedale greyhond i lamped the dog a few times it seemed to have a amaizing nose but wasnt over blessed with bottle or brain perhaps thats why it was sold to the lad i new. thats my experience but its only based on one dog. atb trigger

I'm not surprised at all actually. I dont even know where one would go to find an Airedale that could do it.

I'm not surprised at all actually. I dont even know where one would go to find an Airedale that could do it.

Could do what, Dan?

Could do what, Dan?

Consistently catch and kill.

I thought over the pond their is where the Airedale has been kept as a worker....

Mars...

I thought over the pond their is where the Airedale has been kept as a worker....

Mars...

Now that's some funny shit right there. :laugh:

Dan: do please let us know what your'e on about. Obviously an Airedale wouldn't be fast enough to catch any fast animal such as a hare or coyote: is that what you mean? Have you seen many Airedales working? And if so working at what? I'm just interested as I have an Airedale bred from American imports and she is a great vermin dog, as well as good all round hunter with a fantastic nose: she just isn't fast enough to catch stuff in the open, as opposed to in cover.

he has a look of his father, and grandfather, i should have some pics of cob somewhere, i will post them if i can find it on memory card, i would take everything that blue staffy has to say about him as the truth, I know the owner and the guy that had cob originaly and both are 100% genuine, theres not much blue staffy doesnt know about this line, In my honest opinion it was one of the most honest and trustworthy dog i have ever had the pleasure of seeing working, if your pup turns out to be half the dog his father was you are in for alot of fun, GOOD LUCK with your pup DV

Cob was nothing compared to Gus

Grumpy will tell you that himself :victory:

he has a look of his father, and grandfather, i should have some pics of cob somewhere, i will post them if i can find it on memory card, i would take everything that blue staffy has to say about him as the truth, I know the owner and the guy that had cob originaly and both are 100% genuine, theres not much blue staffy doesnt know about this line, In my honest opinion it was one of the most honest and trustworthy dog i have ever had the pleasure of seeing working, if your pup turns out to be half the dog his father was you are in for alot of fun, GOOD LUCK with your pup DV

Cob was nothing compared to Gus

Grumpy will tell you that himself :victory:

theres no many dogs that can compare to Gus :thumbs: