Best Boxing Bouts

18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

One of my favourite eras was the mid 80,s lightweight division there was some brilliant fights Mancini v Frias,Mancini v Bramble,virtually every Bobby Chacon fight.

Pryor v Arguello,Foreman v Lyle,Gatti v Ward 1 and of course Hagler v Hearns

Why do lads look to past eras for exciting matches as only a fan so I don't really know as much as some surely with technology in training fights should be better or is rules stopping it or is it all  about money and promoters or is it the level of quality coming through 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing! The War. Round 1 (greatest round of all time?) Cheers, D.  

A great fight is a great fight in any era ,it's a bit like any sport ,science and technology have improved conditioning beyond compare ,but when you've see something special it stands the test of time

To me Hagler was the greatest middle weight ever.  Hagler V Carlos Monzon would have been epic.  Not the greatest boxer (just nit picking here) but very composed, very tough and a killer ins

Posted Images

A great fight is a great fight in any era ,it's a bit like any sport ,science and technology have improved conditioning beyond compare ,but when you've see something special it stands the test of time ,the 1970 world cup final was played at a snail's pace by today's standards ,but what I saw that day will stay with me for the rest of my days ,likewise Ali ,Frasier 3 involved two midgets past their prime by today's standard ,but the emotion that fight caused ,I can't see being equalled by heavyweights ever .

Some fights are good ,some are great ,but there are a special handful that take you to uncomfortable places ,they change you ,these special fights are few and far between ,they will continue to happen ,but because that's human nature not due to any improvement in sports science .atb

• Like 3

For some reason the one that always sticks in my mind, although a fairly short fight, was Alan Minter v Haggler.

I even clearly remember the morning after, driving over to Wapping with my old man and listening all about the event the night previous on the radio.

Funny what sticks with you.

32 minutes ago, WILF said:

For some reason the one that always sticks in my mind, although a fairly short fight, was Alan Minter v Haggler.

I even clearly remember the morning after, driving over to Wapping with my old man and listening all about the event the night previous on the radio.

Funny what sticks with you.

Sticks in my mind too Wilf... For all the wrong reasons. At age 13, i believed Minter was unbeatable. Winning the title and in Vegas and i think Hagler was his second defence. Watching it with my dad and granddad, the build up was electric.

I remember first seeing that steely eyed look from Hagler when he first entered the ring and suddenly it didn't seem quite so comfortable for 'our boy'.

Marvelous Marv was devistating and through his accuracy and power, Minter split like an old leather couch and it was all over...

Then the bottles and glasses reigned in on the ring and chaos ensued, a shocker and one to remember for young eyes for sure...

3 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Sticks in my mind too Wilf... For all the wrong reasons. At age 13, i believed Minter was unbeatable. Winning the title and in Vegas and i think Hagler was his second defence. Watching it with my dad and granddad, the build up was electric.

I remember first seeing that steely eyed look from Hagler when he first entered the ring and suddenly it didn't seem quite so comfortable for 'our boy'.

Marvelous Marv was devistating and through his accuracy and power, Minter split like an old leather couch and it was all over...

Then the bottles and glasses reigned in on the ring and chaos ensued, a shocker and one to remember for young eyes for sure...

No black man going to take my title......Minter was cut to feck in 3 rounds.....

• Like 2
On 21/03/2019 at 18:53, sid g said:

Never liked duran, dirty fighter. The best fight I've seen him in was when hearns put him to sleep in the 2nd round of their clash in 1984. One of the best total knockouts you'll ever see ?

On 21/03/2019 at 22:56, Blackmag said:

Why do lads look to past eras for exciting matches as only a fan so I don't really know as much as some surely with technology in training fights should be better or is rules stopping it or is it all  about money and promoters or is it the level of quality coming through 

Stan is right you,ll see great fights in any era,ive seen undercard fights over the York Hall to top Ali v Frazier but they were exactly that,undercard fights.....its very rare for an iconic match up between fighters who define an era to live up to the billing and thats what made Hagler v Hearns probably the greatest fight in history for me they had all the class and ability in the world but after the very first left hook Hearns hit Hagler with after 3 seconds they both said " f**k it then lets have it ".....its so rare for 2 highly skilled fighters with so much on the line to have a shoot out like that.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Stan is right you,ll see great fights in any era,ive seen undercard fights over the York Hall to top Ali v Frazier but they were exactly that,undercard fights.....its very rare for an iconic match up between fighters who define an era to live up to the billing and thats what made Hagler v Hearns probably the greatest fight in history for me they had all the class and ability in the world but after the very first left hook Hearns hit Hagler with after 3 seconds they both said " f**k it then lets have it ".....its so rare for 2 highly skilled fighters with so much on the line to have a shoot out like that.

Probably my two favourite fighters. Everything about hagler was good, and hearns' right hand was devastating ?

Edited by shaaark
21 hours ago, PMul said:

I was ring side (Hammersmith Odion) for Andries V Harding (sp) rubber match. 

Classic war, with two warriors giving it everything. 

Thats a good shout that is they had a couple of good fights as i remember....Dennis could have been such a good fighter if he had a little bit more upstairs.....such a tough durable guy but found athletic movement difficult to master....sad story really he done all his dough and works as a security guard at Albany Place now.....like i say he was never too bright.

3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Probably my two favourite fighters. Everything about hagler was good, and hearns' right hand was devastating ?

Probably the most impressive thing about Hagler was his mindset.....ridiculously dedicated,never out of shape....just had an iron will everything about him was strong.

Even the way he retired was strong he had that controversial fight with Leonard and said " f**k this im gone see ya later ".....and you never saw him again.

• Like 1