Working Cockers

A friend of mine will be looking for a good working Cocker into next year.

Can anyone recomend some good working lines / breeders i can pass on to him.

ATB

Dave.

Well the best lines around at the moment seem to be coming from a dog called argyll warrior owned by will clulee , he's sired endless FTCH's incuding 2 championship winners and was the sire of 1st 3rd and 4th in this years championship

Thanks for the replys lads,i know of Summervilles and they seem handy dogs.

That Argyll Warrior sounds a cracker, would like to see him in action.

I will pass on your info lads and thanks again.

ATB

Dave.

This is a son by Argyll Warrior, out of a Larford Evan bitch. Big and bold and retrieves geese and woodock with no hesitation.

He has sired some useful working pups also.

SAM.jpg

This photo is when he jumped off a 6foot bank for a retrieve, which gives you an idea of how bold he is.

SAM3.jpg

I would tell you to use him.

Argyll warrior is out of Larford Elma (2002 championship winner and litter sister to Larford evan who finished runner up to her in that championship ) He is renowned as a very 'hard' dog and passes a lot of his qualities onto his offspring heres one of his daughters a tiny bitch with the heart of a lion !!

016-2.jpg

056.jpg

why is it the dog that people go on about. because dogs get used in trails as they dont have seasons so they dont shut down like a bitch does. Only around 30% of the dogs genes go in to the put. 70% is from the bitch.

dont, is its a first time cocker owner, go for a loaded FTCH/FTW you will have your work cut out and not get the best out of the pup. try and take a pup that is keeper breed that can do a full seasons work. field trial dogs dont do as much work as a keeper-ed dog, fact. they only get sent for a few birds that the trainer wants and then the proper dogs have to sweep the shoot picking birds that the field trial-er didnt want to send dog for as it might teach bad habit. happens all the time on a lot of shoots and there a pain in the arse. (sorry i waffled a bit there.haha)

to much in the way of FTCH can lead to a hot dog that the first time handler will lose his patients with and struggle to get the best from.

Only around 30% of the dogs genes go in to the pup. 70% is from the bitch.

I have got to question where you get you percentages from? Wont the genes be split 50/50 between both parents?

All your other points make good sense though.

Sorry, i think i should have written that from Reading, listening and talking to the guys/gails in the know that know a million times more than me, it has been said that only around 30% of the dogs gene will go into his offspring. the rest comes from the bitch.

I have got to question where you get you percentages from? Wont the genes be split 50/50 between both parents?

genetic's 101.

bitch= x x

dog = x y

the y chromo is basically zero in a dogs make up so the bitch makes up 75% where as the dog makes up only 25%

that 25% from the dog brings plenty to any future pups and stamps common traits both good and bad.

a bit like adding a bit of bully to a lurcher line.

Argyll warrior is out of Larford Elma (2002 championship winner and litter sister to Larford evan who finished runner up to her in that championship ) He is renowned as a very 'hard' dog and passes a lot of his qualities onto his offspring heres one of his daughters a tiny bitch with the heart of a lion !!

016-2.jpg

056.jpg

Love the second pic mate.:thumbs:

(why is it the dog that people go on about. because dogs get used in trails as they dont have seasons so they dont shut down like a bitch does)

Well an equal amount of bitches and dogs get run in trials ,as i said Argyll Warrior was out of 2002 championship winner Larford Elma and he sired this years championship winner Moelfamau Mini also a bitch !! and mate if you think a FTCH bred cocker can't put a full days graft in you've been watching some bad ones !! spaniels are bred primarialy to hunt flush and retrieve , if you want a picking up dog i'd reccomend a lab.

Edited by timber

genetic's 101.

bitch= x x

dog = x y

the y chromo is basically zero in a dogs make up so the bitch makes up 75% where as the dog makes up only 25%

that 25% from the dog brings plenty to any future pups and stamps common traits both good and bad.

So all you blokes all take after your mothers, then? you've just made the worlds best argument for why we should get rid of all men straight away: they're all a waste of space and only contribute with 25% in genetics? Never, ever heard so much tosh in my life.You're mixing up chromosomes and DNA/genes - chromosomes determines sex, genes determines traits. A puppy will get half of it's genes passed on from it's dam and half from it's sire - just which ones of the dams genes or the sires genes are totally random which means that in theory all the bad points from the sire and all the bad points from the dam could be passed on to a pup. This is of course not always the case but this randomness explains why siblings in a litter can be different in so many ways. This is also the reason why breeders of any animal but specifically dogs, have always been keen on using line breeding as a way to try and minimize this randomness: by breeding related animals (or humans for that matter) you'll double up on certain genes and increase the possibility of passing on certain traits to any offspring.

Natasha

• 3 weeks later...

genetic's 101.

bitch= x x

dog = x y

Actually that isnt correct mate, like natasha said you are 50/50 from each parent, you get given one chromosome from each parent, so if your a lad your chromosomes are XY, the X comes from your mum the Y from your dad, and if your female you are XX one X from each parent as males can pass on both types of chromosome, (thats how the sex is determined) the reason the whole 70% thing has come around beacuse look at the 3 X Chromosomes and assume they make up 70% as you have done. Also people get confussed with the issues relating to grandparents, the X chromosome passed on from father to daughter is always from the father's mother (grandmother on fathers side)as the X in a males XY pair has to come from his mother, this also gets misunderstood and further fuels the 70% thing.

genes are just segments of DNA which is carried on the chromosomes so your are 50/50 mum and dad gene's wise, however different gene combinations and different genes lead to all sorts of physical and other characteristics and that is why litter mates can appear so different otherwise all dogs from the litter would look the same (i.e identical twins have 100% matching genetic make up),

Edited by Jordb543