Bull cross or not?

I am thinking about getting a dog and i have seen some nice looking bull crosses but i want a dog that can run as well.

What is the failure rate with bull crosses, ive seen a few pull up cos they have run out of wind and ive seen some jack fair and square but as this cross is in fashion at the moment there must be some good ones about.

What percentage of this cross turn out any good.

This is not an invitation to all bullcross owners to say that there dogs are all world beaters just a question aimed more at people that have seen them work.

Ive seen a lot but can count on the fingers of one hand the ones that i would like to own.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about getting a dog and i have seen some nice looking bull crosses but i want a dog that can run as well.

What is the failure rate with bull crosses, ive seen a few pull up cos they have run out of wind and ive seen some jack fair and square but as this cross is in fashion at the moment there must be some good ones about.

This is not an invitation to all bullcross owners to say that there dogs are all world beaters just a question aimed more at people that have seen them work.

Ive seen a lot but can count on the fingers of one hand the ones that i would like to own.

i like the way you said "seen some nice looking bull crosses,but you want a dog that can run as well lol,heaven forbid a bullx that can run,good luck in your search for the right dog mate :thumbs:

i like the way you said "seen some nice looking bull crosses,but you want a dog that can run as well lol,heaven forbid a bullx that can run,good luck in your search for the right dog mate :thumbs:

i think he was looking for honest advice mate, not some sarcastic comment with the dreaded 'thumbs up'.

In answer to the original post: I don't know much about the bull cross mate, but plenty on here will. Make sure you take your advice from one of the real dogmen on THL there are some fakers about. atb.

Any ideas about breeding lines that i should prefer or avoid as i dont want a jacker,what i need to know is about the failure rate among bull crosses.

I wouldnt like to spend a yrar bringing on a pup that was no good.

Ive heard tall tales about some that could do foxes at 8 months but im not sure i believe all the keyboard hunters that have a new dog every couple of weeks.

theres good and bad examples in every breed or cross breed its usually the worst thing for a certain type to become popular as this means theres money to be made from churning pups out to sell usually from untested any old dog will do linings you only have to go back to when deerhound x was popular anything with rough or broken coat even a tinge of brindle was sold as deerhound x leaving the unfortunate purchaser with the misconception that x is no good

i am a firm believer get it off two tested dogs not just because its off a certain line then your half way there you will no when the pup is ready and i myself wouldn't put any 8 month old pup to fox on its own no matter what dog it was but thats just me but just because a dog is off a certain line or two tested dogs it can still go wrong if not brought up right

Any ideas about breeding lines that i should prefer or avoid as i dont want a jacker,what i need to know is about the failure rate among bull crosses.

Ive heard tall tales about some that could do foxes at 8 months but im not sure i believe all the keyboard hunters that have a new dog every couple of weeks.

The reason that you prob have heard of so many bad Bull x being bad is mostly by what you said yourself.

People expecting there dogs to tackle everything and anything at to early an age ( 8 months :wallbash: ) just because its a bull x.

There not super dogs that should be treated any different than any other cross of lurcher when entering at an early age.

Think its just the lurcher game in general nowadays, no one has any patience when bringing on a pup and throw them in the deep end and expect results instantly if only it where that easy.

I keep bull x's and can honestly say that they havn't let me down yet. :thumbs:

I think with the popularity of the bull x at the moment and the sheer amount of pups being churned out theres probably a lot of poor bull x's around along with most x's.Its a sellers market at the moment which is not good for any breed of dog imo,try to get a pup from a worker to worker mating and you've got a better chance of a worker.

But as with any breed you need to put in the time with training,entering etc.

John

i think he was looking for honest advice mate, not some sarcastic comment with the dreaded 'thumbs up'.

In answer to the original post: I don't know much about the bull cross mate, but plenty on here will. Make sure you take your advice from one of the real dogmen on THL there are some fakers about. atb.

don't go down the route of ruining a thread mate,no sarcasm intended what so ever,i have run them for nearly twenty years and we all know a lot of lads thoughts on them,just tickled me the way it was read,nothing more than that,hope the lad finds the right dog,and just for you here they are again :thumbs: atvb to you

Does it not depend on what hunting you do , what mutt you chose , Failure rate and how the dog turns out , i would put down to owner, , Are you talking bout a pup or a full grown dog,,

Take a step back and have a goode hard think mate....wanting a bull x purely coz they are next big thing is a stupid reason to want 1...think of the terrain you,ll be runnin the dog on and what quarry you,ll be pursuing.

Bullx,s are not machines and whatever line you think you may want will have had its fair share of failures.

Check through all the old topics on here and im sure you,ll be able to make your mind up.Just dont jump in without thourghly doing your homework...atb stabba

Take a step back and have a goode hard think mate....wanting a bull x purely coz they are next big thing is a stupid reason to want 1...think of the terrain you,ll be runnin the dog on and what quarry you,ll be pursuing.

Bullx,s are not machines and whatever line you think you may want will have had its fair share of failures.

Check through all the old topics on here and im sure you,ll be able to make your mind up.Just dont jump in without thourghly doing your homework...atb stabba

I honestly canny believe you lot cant see this guy stevesel is at the maddam??? all the ingridents are there...... dont want a jacker..... bullcross in fashion... bullcross owners saying they are worldbeaters..... keyboard hunters........ the guy has pulled the wool over all your eyes..... sit back and read his responses again...... :tongue2:

Most of the dogs that jack . . . . . . down to the owners.