Hare

jasper65

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a crock of s.h.i.t mate whoopy fecking doo you shot a hare,whats the big deal if you went out for rabbits,im sure anyone on here would of took the shot at anything on the legal list if it was in

Nice one jasper, i have never gone out to look for hare but when the shot has presented itself it has often been taken. Good for you

Hi Jasper.nice clean looking kill. I shot a hare a few weeks ago but didn't put a post up about it as was on another site and some guy was getting abused left right and centre for shooting one with a

Posted Images

Totally legit. :yes:

Good post Jasper, :thumbs: I find it quite amusing :D that you can legally shoot a hare and everyone's up in arms. Wonder if the negative posts are from dog owners. :hmm:

Nice one Archie :thumbs:, must say I was a bit shocked expecially these days when the Hunting faternity should be singing from the same song sheet! good to see the shooters sticking to their guns.

I think you hit the nail on the head judging from some posts :yes:...

Jasp

So anyone who does not think that an air rifle is a suitable weapon for killing a hare, is a dog owner?

" Singing from the same song sheet"?

"a lot cleaner than many I have witnessed shot with rimmy's and shotguns".

Where is the logic in that statement? And, where ,is the "sticking together"?

Are you suggesting that a .22 rimfire, or a shot gun , are less suitable than a.177 air rifle to take a hare?

As you told us, you," back ended a hare with a shot gun",perhaps the fault lies with the shooter rather than the suitability of the weapon ?

Fact is a rabbit weighs between 2-3lbs, [3lbs is a big rabbit], a hare up to 10 lbs,[i have had them 12lbs and over], the recommendation not to use an air rifle to take a hare is given for a very good reason.

But you do not want to address that fact, nor do you want to answer my original question.

Perhaps you could answer my question ,instead of making puerile comments?

totaly lost you pal :hmm:. you quoted a recommendation? can you now tell me what it means or what it is? or Legally what it means?

we can all make recommendations in life! if someone recommends a car to me does it mean I have to go out and buy it? Its against the law to hunt Hare with dogs but I'm yet to see anything about shooting them includeing a High Powered Air Rifle FAC or non FAC?

So anyone who does not think that an air rifle is a suitable weapon for killing a hare, is a dog owner?

Are you suggesting that a .22 rimfire, or a shot gun , are less suitable than a.177 air rifle to take a hare?

As you told us, you," back ended a hare with a shot gun",perhaps the fault lies with the shooter rather than the suitability of the weapon ?

Fact is a rabbit weighs between 2-3lbs, [3lbs is a big rabbit], a hare up to 10 lbs,[i have had them 12lbs and over], the recommendation not to use an air rifle to take a hare is given for a very good reason.

But you do not want to address that fact, nor do you want to answer my original question.

stop talking is riddles old mate because you're now sounding silly! are you now telling me that everyone who shoots a Hare with a shotgun stops it cleanly? now you know thats totaly crap! have you ever been on a Hare shoot? you need to go on one and be eduacated :doh:...

a head shot in the cranium is a clean kill zone! if you body shot or backend a Hare with a Rimmy do you think it will stop it? wake up and smell the roses old mate you're beggining to repeat yourself over and over again........

a head shot in the cranium

As opposed to those headshots that are not in the cranium? ;)

if you body shot or backend a Hare with a Rimmy do you think it will stop it?

With the difference in power, would shooting a hare in the back end or body stop it? Well, your average air rifle runs out at about 11 ft.lb, whereas your average .22LR with subsonic 40 grain hollow points runs out around the 90 ft.lb mark.

So if you want to take a body shot at a hare, the rimfire is a better bet than the air rifle, and in fact I would choose a chest shot with the .22, whereas I would have to go for the headshot with an air rifle. The kz with a rimfire is bigger, and there are more of them, than with an air rifle.

I've used air rifle for hares, and it can be very effective, and is certainly not illegal. I have also shot one with a .22, and from the riflemans point of view it is far easier to knock one over with the rimfire than the air rifle. This argument seems to be going round in circles, with certain people taking things more personally than perhaps they were meant. A person can still be a troll, even if they have thousands of posts, and remember that feeding the trols is never a fruitful pastime, and should be discouraged!

stop talking is riddles old mate because you're now sounding silly! are you now telling me that everyone who shoots a Hare with a shotgun stops it cleanly? now you know thats totaly crap! have you ever been on a Hare shoot? you need to go on one and be eduacated :doh:...

a head shot in the cranium is a clean kill zone! if you body shot or backend a Hare with a Rimmy do you think it will stop it? wake up and smell the roses old mate you're beggining to repeat yourself over and over again........

As I expected you didnt answer the question.

It was straight forward enough ,no riddle .

Why do you think an air rifle is not recommended for the shooting of a hare?

I dont shoot hares ,haven't shot one for years ,but ,if I did, using a .22 rimfire ,I would take a head or chest shot, not a body or backend shot.I only take head shots at rabbits.

You say in your previous post you "lost me",actually I think I lost you.

When you are in a hole ,its best to stop digging.

I need to be EDUACATED? Some how I don't think you are the person to be doing it.

Ive been hunting/shooting, for over 50 years, still I can be taught a thing or two, and I am ready and willing to be so ,but not ,I feel by you

• Like 1

End of the day, theres a lot of things not recommended in life.... They don't allow shooting of roe in england with a .22 centrefire, yet they do in scotland. They don't recommend snaring on fences, yet people do and its one of the most effective forms of using them.. They don't recommend shooting hares with airguns because theres a lot less room for error than with a rimfire, the same as theres less room for error when shooting foxes with a .22 or .17hmr BUT people still do it... If someones confident in putting the shot were its needed and it kills an animal humanely fair play, but theres always the side that if you do miss using something thats not got any room for error you have to live with wounding an animal... I've seen people show no empathy what so ever on injuring an animal, and I've seen others sickened with themselves...its all down to the person...

As I expected you didnt answer the question.

It was straight forward enough ,no riddle .

Why do you think an air rifle is not recommended for the shooting of a hare?

I dont shoot hares ,haven't shot one for years ,but ,if I did, using a .22 rimfire ,I would take a head or chest shot, not a body or backend shot.I only take head shots at rabbits.

You say in your previous post you "lost me",actually I think I lost you.

When you are in a hole ,its best to stop digging.

I need to be EDUACATED? Some how I don't think you are the person to be doing it.

Ive been hunting/shooting, for over 50 years, still I can be taught a thing or two, and I am ready and willing to be so ,but not ,I feel by you

You don't listen to the answers pal when they're laid infront of you! as I recall you asked it of another poster but I fancied a pop at it ;)...

you can quote me as much as you want about your 50yrs experience! but the long and the short of it is the Hare was shot cleanly through the back of the head as you would expect from someone taking one on with a Air Rifle, one thing I can guarantee at the range it was shot in the zone I aimed for...

I would expect anyone to take a Hare front end head or chest area with a Rimmy and so they should, you missed totaly what I was saying! this Hare was shot within 30 yds yet I have seen first hand some so called marksman take on shots with Rimmy's on Hares at some fair ranges which have been wounded and needed another one to stop it, same with the shotgun! I wish I could 100% Guarrantee to stop everything stone dead I lift a shotgun up to but I can't, with your 50 yrs experince you should also know this.

recommendation or no recommendation this Hare was shot cleanly and legaly! can you Honestly say that you can Guarrantee a clean kill with a shotgun which is Recommended? personaly with a Air Rifle I wouldn't take the shot unless I knew I was going to stop it cleanly......

No offense you two who are arguing but can one of you be the mature one and stop its not really good for a new member to come on here to see a mod going at a user and the other way round!

Ian's post sums up the whole thing its your personal choice weather you pull the trigger or not and i dont think we need a full blown debate over something like this.

No offense you two who are arguing but can one of you be the mature one and stop its not really good for a new member to come on here to see a mod going at a user and the other way round!

Ian's post sums up the whole thing its your personal choice weather you pull the trigger or not and i dont think we need a full blown debate over something like this.

You have a point mate which I respect! if you read through it its near all constructive critisism basic disagreements being aired on a forum, its nowt to take to heart and no different than a difference of opinion in a pub or anywhere else for that matter...

the topic could be locked or just disapeer but differences of opinion don't hurt anyone :thumbs:, it would be a sad world if we all agreed....

yis Jasp

blimey, my first day on in ages and look what i've been missing!!!

nice shooting jasp, clean and humane mate, just the way it should be. i dont do hares myself, but thats just cos there arent that many down my way, so its a rare pleasure to see one. if i was in your situation with loads i'd be going for em too tho, done in red wines supposed to be lovely i'm told...

all the best, wurz