Hi all,

In march this year i decided to part ex my car for a 4x4, the main reason being that we had just had twins and i wanted a car that could cope with the bad weather and allow my wife peace of mind so she could pick our new born twins from the childminder. Anyway i searched the internet and came across Freelander advertised by Dearne Valley Motor Company, we went to view and test drive it and all seemed ok there was a small knocking sound that and bloke said he was going to replace the rear bushes and put it on the ramp to show me what he meant.

all along the bloke was telling me how good they were in the snow and all the benefits that a four wheel drive has to offer and that this TD4 model was the best of the lot, a deal was struck and a week later we collected the car, i have never driven a 4x4 before and all seemed well. A few weeks ago i began to hear a small annoying knocking sound and today i took it to the garage. The bloke lifted on the ramp and the first thing he said was 'were's your prop shafts?' looking confused i got into the pit and low and behold no prop shafts!!!

The guy then went to explain how some garages will remove the prop shafts if the transfer box or gear box is knackered as a way of disguising the fault, needless to say i was fuming, it was definately there when i first went to test the vehicle as the bloke had shown me under the car.

It seems he never had any intention of fixing the car and just removed the shafts to save him the expense of repairing it and pull the wool over my eyes. What that means is that i now have a two wheel drive freelander!!!

I was fumimg and immediately tried to contact the garage only to find out they have gone bust, my day coudlnt have got much worse!!

The winter is fast approaching, i'm skint and spent all my spare cash on this car for the safety and security of my children,i dont know what i'm gonna do to resolve the situation!!!

Please people learn from my very costly mistake and if you buy a secondhand motor then not only check it all over on the the first inspection but remember to check it again when you pick it up!!!

dirty trick !!!

have you contacted the RMI ??...they may be able to help.

any warranty left ???........they are usually insurance based , so it wouldnt matter if the company you bought it off have gone bust.

RMI LINK

cheers

sean

Cheers for the link mate, i'l look in to it, the company has gone bust and i have spoke to the administrators but i dont hold out much hope, i could end up getting about 15p for every pound owed. I did pay £500 deposit on my card and Visa seem to think i'm covered to get that back, that should go some way towards the repairs, apart from the cost of the prop shafts i need to find out exactly what the problem was that madem remove em in the first place which i'm guessing will cost me a fortune to put right.

I would love to know the name and whereabouts of the boke who sold me it, it was the Darford branch so if anyone from S.Yorks has any clue i'd very greatful!!!

dirty trick !!!

have you contacted the RMI ??...they may be able to help.

any warranty left ???........they are usually insurance based , so it wouldnt matter if the company you bought it off have gone bust.

RMI LINK

cheers

sean

Cheers for the link mate, i'l look in to it, the company has gone bust and i have spoke to the administrators but i dont hold out much hope, i could end up getting about 15p for every pound owed. I did pay £500 deposit on my card and Visa seem to think i'm covered to get that back, that should go some way towards the repairs, apart from the cost of the prop shafts i need to find out exactly what the problem was that madem remove em in the first place which i'm guessing will cost me a fortune to put right.

I would love to know the name and whereabouts of the boke who sold me it, it was the Darford branch so if anyone from S.Yorks has any clue i'd very greatful!!!

£500should fix that and leave you change.. i can give you a number for a good lad in queensbury that will do the work

ian get in touch with thornton breakers either on thornton rd or holmfield,they should be able to sort you a 2nd hand shaft on a price that wont hurt your wallet...the wifes old mans a landy man so im sure we could sort something out when it comes to fitting it etc

Thanks mate, i'l drop you a pm when i get in a position to sort things out :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about the stinking scumbad that did this, but some bits of unfo that may help.

On LRUK forums, i'm sure this garage was mentioned a while ago re bad customer service ( coudl be wrong but rings a bell)

It's a common trick on Freelanders to do thid if the viscous coupling is knackered as it's expensive to replace and this is what splits the drive in a Freelander.

Another garage to reccomend is The Discovery Centre Pool in Wharfedale. I use the for my defender and a number of people i know use them for their discos. It's ten mins past the airport on the Harrogate road and may be a bit far from you but it's another option.