does anyone actually truly think there is a god?

God is a crutch to the mentally inadequate and needy, and a tool for those who wish to control the masses. I know exactly where I'm going when I die, back into non existence where I came from, and it suites me fine.

This paragraph expresses pretty much word for word the opinion that I held in the late 60's when I was almost alone in arguing the case for atheism at our school debating sessions.

But there are a lot of very clever people who do believe in one of the various forms of superstitious doctrine.

They do so not BECAUSE of their intellect but in SPITE of it.

It's no accident that the major religions of the world seek out the very young to begin the brainwashing process before the child has developed the capacity for rational thought on a level any deeper than that required for survival. Fire burns..... spiders and snakes may bite, etc.

When the young person does begin to ask inconvenient questions they are fobbed off with, "Oh it's Gods will" or "How could the world have been made if God didn't do it?"

When you think about it, these replies are not answers to the questions that were asked. They're stalling tactics designed to stop inquiry in it's tracks.

The myth of creation, (from whichever religion) then takes root as the default position in the young mind and that's when the notion is formed that religion is something that has to be disproved.

If religion as a subject was avoided in school until say, mid teens, then we would expect the story of creationism to be required to explain the mechanism by which it works. Believers are quick to point out the many unknowns in science, without ever trying themselves to explain what the mechanism is for spontaneous creation from nothingness, nor what created the creator.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were,s ditchshitter when you need him .. the man was a legend,,this was his kinda thread..lol..... come back the shitter..

No. I honestly believe that your either stupid or mentally retarded if you do. Sorry if i offend anyone, seriously. Religion is/was there to control the masses, without it there would have been total

yes,he just scored a hatrick against the scousers.

Posted Images

Such an emotive subject..I believe in God. Why? Well the way I see it the chances of us on earth "just being here" are multi billions to one

It's called Evolution matey.One day, many years ago, our ancestors were swimming in the sea. At first our physical adaptability propelled us forward to crawling on land, then living on land, then developing warm blood and hair. Finally when it was time for us to come out of the trees our mental adaptability took over and our brains grew to the task.

In the grand scheme of things, in evolutionary terms, only a blink of an eye ago we were little furry rat-like critters. :thumbs:

SOME of the feckers on this site still are j.d :D

its amazes me that people belive, but thats there choise. when you concider that a chimps dna is about 98- 99% same as ours, and even somthing like a banna has about 70% same dna,

anybody watch the science program with stephen hawkin, very good program:thumbs:

Taken from another forum.....but I did get permission to use it.

Does the Old Testament need to be updated!

« on: September 26, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »Quote

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant

Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus

18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following

response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which

was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I

have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that

knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend

the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that

Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of

debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements

of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and

female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend

of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can

you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in

Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair

price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her

period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how

do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a

pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.

They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus

35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated

to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of

abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have

a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.

Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair

around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.

19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes

me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments

made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also

tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go

to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?

Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family

affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.

20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy

considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and

unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum,

Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia.

:laugh::laugh:

It's naive to believe something because a man in a white coat told you. But it's also naive to believe a book word for word that could have been written by anyone. Personally, i think there must be some form of higher power either in the universe or just sat watching it, maybe because fear's taken over and i dont want to die and nothing happen after, or because i think theres still so much unexplained - how did the universe get here? What's past the universe? If the universe is ever-expanding, what is it expanding into?

Science vs religion - your choice.

Religion hasn't proven anything of what it says is real.

Science is constantly proving and developing.

Religion is a load of old SHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldnt agree more. :thumbs: when u mention dinasaurs to a religious person,its just a lot of er ums you get from them,or the classic.they are fake to discredit god.we know where we come from and it wasnt from a rib or some other fairy tale written by man.nothing in the bible is true,therfore how can i believe in its teachings.

I once spent an afternoon sparring with two jehovahs witnesses in my front room (f*ck redundancy makes you do bad things)and when i mentioned dinosaurs they thought for a while and decided that....you wont believe it.....

Dinosaurs were put on earth to fertilise the soil!!!!!!!!!!!

I slung the poor deluded b*****ds out as i realised that i had more chance of being struck by lightning than i did changing their views

God is a crutch to the mentally inadequate and needy, and a tool for those who wish to control the masses. I know exactly where I'm going when I die, back into non existence where I came from, and it suites me fine.

This paragraph expresses pretty much word for word the opinion that I held in the late 60's when I was almost alone in arguing the case for atheism at our school debating sessions.

But there are a lot of very clever people who do believe in one of the various forms of superstitious doctrine.

They do so not BECAUSE of their intellect but in SPITE of it.

It's no accident that the major religions of the world seek out the very young to begin the brainwashing process before the child has developed the capacity for rational thought on a level any deeper than that required for survival. Fire burns..... spiders and snakes may bite, etc.

When the young person does begin to ask inconvenient questions they are fobbed off with, "Oh it's Gods will" or "How could the world have been made if God didn't do it?"

When you think about it, these replies are not answers to the questions that were asked. They're stalling tactics designed to stop inquiry in it's tracks.

Too true my 2 grandkids are at a RC school where they are already being indoctrinated one is 4 the other 6 .Dont get me wrong I dont mind the way they teach respect and kindness but surely it can be taught without bringing a deity into the teachings ,and the begging letters from the church verge on the ridiculous

Such an emotive subject..I believe in God. Why? Well the way I see it the chances of us on earth "just being here" are multi billions to one

It's called Evolution matey.One day, many years ago, our ancestors were swimming in the sea. At first our physical adaptability propelled us forward to crawling on land, then living on land, then developing warm blood and hair. Finally when it was time for us to come out of the trees our mental adaptability took over and our brains grew to the task.

In the grand scheme of things, in evolutionary terms, only a blink of an eye ago we were little furry rat-like critters. :thumbs:

its amazes me that people belive, but thats there choise. when you concider that a chimps dna is about 98- 99% same as ours, and even somthing like a banna has about 70% same dna,

anybody watch the science program with stephen hawkin, very good program:thumbs:

thats a favourite for the boys who like to prove the theory of evolution as 'fact'

DNA, whilst being the very fibre of our physical makeup means little when the extent of the 'proof' is merely commonalities.

dont get me wrong, i dont hold all the answers, (very few in fact) and i wont try to cram my views down your neck, im just a builder who knows what he believes. but really, dont try to pretend knowledge of macroevolution when there is no evidence just theory to support it.

as a side note, the idea of faith being a crutch for the weak and needy :no:

does it not take a stronger man to swim against the current and hold on to his convictions whatever the rest of the world says? it doesnt make me 'feel any better' the reality is that im so persuaded by what i believe to be true that i can stand up, be it on my own and say that i believe you are wrong.

science is (should be) the pursuit of knowledge not the arrogance to say that "even though it isnt proven we will preach it like it is"

rant over :victory:

thats a favourite for the boys who like to prove the theory of evolution as 'fact'

DNA, whilst being the very fibre of our physical makeup means little when the extent of the 'proof' is merely commonalities.

dont get me wrong, i dont hold all the answers, (very few in fact) and i wont try to cram my views down your neck, im just a builder who knows what he believes. but really, dont try to pretend knowledge of macroevolution when there is no evidence just theory to support it.

as a side note, the idea of faith being a crutch for the weak and needy :no:

does it not take a stronger man to swim against the current and hold on to his convictions whatever the rest of the world says? it doesnt make me 'feel any better' the reality is that im so persuaded by what i believe to be true that i can stand up, be it on my own and say that i believe you are wrong.

science is (should be) the pursuit of knowledge not the arrogance to say that "even though it isnt proven we will preach it like it is"

rant over :victory:

If you think there is no evidence to support the theory of evolution please read professor of biology Richard Dawkins books "the selfish gene" and "the god delusion". There's a whole world of knowledge out there for anyone who wants to learn.

i love to learn mate, ive checked out some of dawkins stuff and seen him interviewed and from as unbiased a perspective as possible i find him arrogant to the extreme and his THEORIES dissapointing holed and incomplete.

i think i would enjoy talking with him if he wasnt so far up his own chuffer, pretending BIG questions arent worth answering. or at least trying.

there are to me ;)

Ok Lampinglurcher, perhaps if you could elucidate which questions you found his answers so inadequate to, we could chase up and elaborate upon...it would help us all to reach a deeper understanding of.....?