Respect for our quarry

I have recently seen the worst lack of respect for quarry. People lamping rabbits who dont dont pick up anything that they shoot. Every rabbit that they shoot is left where they lay to rot. When asked what they were thinking and being told that they were disgraceful they informed me that they are not worth the effort to slow down to pick up when they only fetch 50p. Last spring i was later told that they shot over 500 rabbits all left to rot. Thats £250,and they are not worth picking up???!!! These people should be ashamed of themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Do you respect your quarry.."   Those words might mean different things to different people.   My take on it is that to respect your quarry you have to understand it. Amongst other things, I pe

Respect for the quarry we hunt. Do you show it? First off I don’t want this post to turn into one of those “if you don’t like it don’t look†kind of arguments, and I know I have commented on

With deer, as I read the legislation, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to follow the beast and humanely kill it with a second shot;

I would anyway, but which bit of legislation is this please?

Lifted from the British Deer Society website.

Ric

Don't suppose I can trouble you for a link please?

I often take a photo of a good bag or anything unusual (I video'd a head shot rabbit that was still twitching 15 minutes after the shot) but I don't often post them up for public viewing unless there's an interesting story to go with it. I do always arrange the rabbits etc to be as tidy as possible so any messy HMR exit wounds are hidden. I also eat 90% of what I shoot: mainly rabbits, pigeons and the odd squirrel.

I have recently seen the worst lack of respect for quarry. People lamping rabbits who dont dont pick up anything that they shoot. Every rabbit that they shoot is left where they lay to rot. When asked what they were thinking and being told that they were disgraceful they informed me that they are not worth the effort to slow down to pick up when they only fetch 50p. Last spring i was later told that they shot over 500 rabbits all left to rot. Thats £250,and they are not worth picking up???!!! These people should be ashamed of themselves.

disgusting.... not only is that £250, but it's also 500 meals for a family of 4! we eat one rabbit per meal, and very good it is too!, give me wild game over supermarker meat any day!

With deer, as I read the legislation, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to follow the beast and humanely kill it with a second shot;

I would anyway, but which bit of legislation is this please?

Lifted from the British Deer Society website.

Ric

Don't suppose I can trouble you for a link please?

My link

The photo debate again...... :wallbash:

If i clicked on to the Asda website and saw a picture of a fox with its guts hanging out then i would say that person is doing it to boast..........but since we are on a hunting site(i'm sure????) then i find it quite acceptable for the poster to do so. I'd say 99.9% of the posts that show photos of foxes with exit wounds have a "EXPLICIT MATERIAL" title and from that you have the choice to click on it. I do wonder if some of the people moaning all the time are the sorts to watch a whole tv programme, count the swear words just so they can complain to watchdog.... :hmm:

And before we here "it does no good for the sport" then i think thats alot of balls....the people that are against hunting are against shooting foxes full stop whether you take a photo or not!!

If i clicked on to the Asda website and saw a picture of a fox with its guts hanging out then i would say that person is doing it to boast..........but since we are on a hunting site(i'm sure????) then i find it quite acceptable for the poster to do so. I'd say 99.9% of the posts that show photos of foxes with exit wounds have a "EXPLICIT MATERIAL" title and from that you have the choice to click on it. I do wonder if some of the people moaning all the time are the sorts to watch a whole tv programme, count the swear words just so they can complain to watchdog.... :hmm:

And before we here "it does no good for the sport" then i think thats alot of balls....the people that are against hunting are against shooting foxes full stop whether you take a photo or not!!

this is not a "photo debate" as you put it, so much as the general respect for all our quarry, be it vermin species or no.

I think the comparison with Asda is ridiculous. fox shooting? on the Adsa website? I don't think so. I'm not saying the pictures are wrong from a sporting standpoint and aclean kill, I'm saying they are wrong in being disrespectful in touting them about like a gory tropy, haah look how many foxes I've shot, I have no problem with the shooting aspect, it's just how those pictures are taken.

and as for the TV moaning. no. I really think that THL is one of the last bastions of common sense, I'd be suprised, from replies posted to varios threads I have participated in and the general fel of the members of this forum, that we have any members like you describe.

As you say, those vehmently opposed to hunting in general will never change, if does not however project a good image to those non-shooters who may sit on the fence about shooting, or have a neutral standpoint, I doubt however that many non fieldsports persons venture on to this kind of forum anyway, and those kind is what I deem "disrespectful" photographs, do not often make their way in to the shooting press thankfully.

so you may ask, what is all the fuss about, but then if you don't wish to see my standpoint, then that's fine, we have a difference of opinion.

I understand that people want to share their sucess with others, but if it could be done a litle more tastefully is what I am getting at.

DB

this is not a "photo debate" as you put it, so much as the general respect for all our quarry, be it vermin species or no.

I think the comparison with Asda is ridiculous. fox shooting? on the Adsa website? I don't think so. I'm not saying the pictures are wrong from a sporting standpoint and aclean kill, I'm saying they are wrong in being disrespectful in touting them about like a gory tropy, haah look how many foxes I've shot, I have no problem with the shooting aspect, it's just how those pictures are taken.

and as for the TV moaning. no. I really think that THL is one of the last bastions of common sense, I'd be suprised, from replies posted to varios threads I have participated in and the general fel of the members of this forum, that we have any members like you describe.

As you say, those vehmently opposed to hunting in general will never change, if does not however project a good image to those non-shooters who may sit on the fence about shooting, or have a neutral standpoint, I doubt however that many non fieldsports persons venture on to this kind of forum anyway, and those kind is what I deem "disrespectful" photographs, do not often make their way in to the shooting press thankfully.

so you may ask, what is all the fuss about, but then if you don't wish to see my standpoint, then that's fine, we have a difference of opinion.

I understand that people want to share their sucess with others, but if it could be done a litle more tastefully is what I am getting at.

DB

Granted you are correct that its not a photo debate but it turn into 1 quite quickly and ventured of the "respect" aspect that you had started with. I have said before on this site that i find it difficult to respect the fox as some have cost me alot of money in the past and i would imagine they will cost me in the future, but and thats a big but i would always should the fox the respect it deserves in the way that i dispatch it.

I appreciate that you have your opinion and i wasn't having a go, i was simply venting mine. :thumbs:

Having been envolved in 'rural life and its pastimes' from an early age, and now renewing the shooting side of things.

When i 1st came across the THL forums I was quiet shocked at some of the images posted, now Im not squamish, I was a combat medic amongst many military quals I had, and have seen active service in places you wouldnt think the British were serving in ;)

So, I have seen some grizzly stuff, it still didnt stop me from thinking about the type of people who were posting on here, especially with some of the photos they were posting.

Initially I thought there were a lot of 'gun nuts' one here who glorified shooting things because they could, sure there are a few on here like that, but the vast majority thankfully arent, But it does go to show how a graphic image could make non-shooters or anti hunting and the like, see things exactly the same way.

I know this is not a photo or no photo thread/debate, and fair play to Dane for starting the thread and for posting some pictures that show the quarry in a different light, Me, I dont post photos, I think there has been one of a rabbit on a chopping board and that was only because this little thing had 14cm long thumpers.

As other have said, its not great to see pictures of once living creatures with eye balls and innards hanging out, there is no need for that, we all know what happens when flesh, bone and muscle meet with a high speed projectile.

I personally enjoy a good write up of someones shooting day, and if they have tastefull photos thats great, otherwise I find that a blood splattered picture doesnt show the quarry/pest in a respectfull way.

"Do you respect your quarry.."

Those words might mean different things to different people. :yes:

My take on it is that to respect your quarry you have to understand it. Amongst other things, I personally respect the fox for it's cunning, the rabbit for it's ability to survive as a population no matter how hard they're hit, & I even respect rats and magpies for their intelligence.

Above all you've got to understand why an animal is classed a pest and you've got to understand the need to control it.

The ultimate respect for an animal is to ensure that you kill it cleanly once you choose to end it's life. Once an animal is dead, it's just a piece of meat, & that's where the respect ends for me.

With regards to pictures. I'm not bothered by graphic pictures in the slightest, most of us have seen it all before in 'real life' with all the other sensations that go with it. I'm also not bothered by what non hunting/shooting people may make of them. I don't come on here to appease people who have no wish to even understand what we do or why we do it, I come on here to speak with like minded people and share experiences. A picture often helps to visualise a good write up, no matter how graphic it is. What we do isn't pretty all the time, and to carefully lay out a carcase for a trophy shot tries to make out otherwise.

There are plenty of pictures out there that our opponents can get hot under the collar about, so we shouldn't worry about what they may or may not see on here. As long as threads with explicit pictures are marked as such, I don't see an issue.

Mal.

• Like 2

"Do you respect your quarry.."

Those words might mean different things to different people. :yes:

My take on it is that to respect your quarry you have to understand it. Amongst other things, I personally respect the fox for it's cunning, the rabbit for it's ability to survive as a population no matter how hard they're hit, & I even respect rats and magpies for their intelligence.

Above all you've got to understand why an animal is classed a pest and you've got to understand the need to control it.

The ultimate respect for an animal is to ensure that you kill it cleanly once you choose to end it's life. Once an animal is dead, it's just a piece of meat, & that's where the respect ends for me.

With regards to pictures. I'm not bothered by graphic pictures in the slightest, most of us have seen it all before in 'real life' with all the other sensations that go with it. I'm also not bothered by what non hunting/shooting people may make of them. I don't come on here to appease people who have no wish to even understand what we do or why we do it, I come on here to speak with like minded people and share experiences. A picture often helps to visualise a good write up, no matter how graphic it is. What we do isn't pretty all the time, and to carefully lay out a carcase for a trophy shot tries to make out otherwise.

There are plenty of pictures out there that our opponents can get hot under the collar about, so we shouldn't worry about what they may or may not see on here. As long as threads with explicit pictures are marked as such, I don't see an issue.

Mal.

Well put, and I totally agree with you. :thumbs:

Good thread! Louis Therouix's programme about hunting in south Africa was on a Irish channel last night it looks like its basically shooting in a zoo, however once the animal had been shot it was quickly dressed for the photo (exit wound not facing camera, entry wound rubbed with dirt to cover blood etc), as the hunters said for them it was all about the photo to go with the trophy, remembering the moment as it was a once in a life time experience. It shows great respect for the beast to dress it for the photo.

I also agree with Maltenby as regards respect for the animal, however for me it carries over until i dispose of the carcass or eat it. Except rats i f**kin hate rats. :D