working wheaten lines

Did any lads get much success crossing wheatens with digging dogs. I don't think I've ever seen a first cross or 3/4 black dog 1/4 wheaten for example. I know if the digging dog breeding is right then the cross is unnecessary but still a few of the old boys probably experimented with them.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two brothers in the picture ,Wheaten Cross both know there game .Black Lad is quiet as lamb with people and other dogs,Grey fella can be dog aggressive and people he isnt fimilar with he has to be wat

Border X Wheaten, first cross. Bit too big for some earths but was game, pic is about 15 yrs ago. I don't post much anymore but reason I'm on this thread is I'm looking for a Wheaten or a X similar to

There still som men out there that will Only keep working Wheaton and are not knowing at all and they will bring it to ground with them Because it's. There old way. The Wheaton is fa

Posted Images

Many moons ago seen a 3/4 lake land 1/4 wheaten came up small enough for earth work hard animal size would be a issue mate had Glen very small for breed did very well with her had a couple of litters from her to a lakie I even had a pup from one of the litters they did ok this was a long time ago

Would ya have crossed them into patterdales bk a man told me to do it a few year back with a wheaton dog he had he reckoned once I bred them down to 3/4 pat and on they should be some decent stuff there was sorry afterward never gave it a try.

Bordors for me

But I see som crossed with small black dogs

That are very good at there job

If your going to do it test them out to the last 1th

Then you see if there up to what you like to see in

Them and if your happy with them go for it

But black dogs you keep would not want to be

Very big to start off with mate

• Like 1

Bordors for me

But I see som crossed with small black dogs

That are very good at there job

If your going to do it test them out to the last 1th

Then you see if there up to what you like to see in

Them and if your happy with them go for it

But black dogs you keep would not want to be

Very big to start off with mate

. It might be something ta look at in the future

Did any lads get much success crossing wheatens with digging dogs. I don't think I've ever seen a first cross or 3/4 black dog 1/4 wheaten for example. I know if the digging dog breeding is right then the cross is unnecessary but still a few of the old boys probably experimented with them.

Had a very good dog a few year back,dead now[Rusty]very hard dog at his work and took no prisoners,he was 3/4 lakie1/4 wheaten,actually have a grandson of his here at the moment.

• Like 1

Yes and while I'm at it I'll tell you the reason for that, they're not on here for one very simple reason. They are deceased and some of them are family members and close friends family members so if I decide to share something that happened 50/60+ years ago i will.

Some of the best Wheatens i seen work belonged to a digging club from NI,had some handy staffs aswell,you know the lads i on about General.

• Like 6

Had a very good dog a few year back,dead now[Rusty]very hard dog at his work and took no prisoners,he was 3/4 lakie1/4 wheaten,actually have a grandson of his here at the moment.
that might be just what's needed to spice up a breeding that's softening off or to bring up the size in small dogs. Again if operating a tight line that's performing nobody would do it but if it's scatter bred then why not? The 2nd generation should conform to size.

I've dug to a few wheaten crosses but have never heard of a good line of working terrier that had wheaten as an outcross back in them. The staff cross always seemed to go on to better things.

Doesn't mean there's none about but I've never heard of a line with wheaten in it that's stood the test of time.

Fatmans wheaten cross was a helluva terrier and years ago I dug a few hundred times to a Wheaten / Cairn X Jack Russell. She wasn't 100% but we got a lot of sport from her over 7 or 8 seasons and I always reckoned it was the wheaten in her that carried the cairn and russell. I think the wheaten in her was McIntyre.

They could not. got teats out

Right be4 breeding off them or the had Notting to start off with 1th. If the terrier is not doing it right all the time there only 1 thing for him ? And if his best terrier around I would not breed off him bar he have brother and sister as good tIf any 1 have got it right they wil know what I'm. Saying and what hard work and long to get a line well over 70 years old

That I was lucky to meet right men that had same

Bordor as my safe but had most haad work don

When all terrier com same size dogs and bitch

And died for what the love doing then you have

It right

Seen 3 wheaten crosses in the field, first was, 3/4 wheaten 1/4 staff x Russell, very good dog worked till he was about 13 years old, second was a son out the first put to a straight half Russell/ Lakeland, only seen this dog and a few digs, didn't impress, third was a Wheaten / Russell bitch, straight half I believe and was small, pts 2nd season too much abuse, seen a straight half wheaten / patterdale in the yard looked like he seen a bit, too big for my liking,

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...