working wheaten lines

Guest Navek

Do you lads not think that these dogs are getting so thin on the ground because of the hype that goes with them . ?

I mean every time I see a weaton thread on here it all goes secret squirrel . 50 % off the post are either making out there kid killers and a mindless dog that will kill anything it can and the other 50% just give the usual " yea there's good working weaton in tight circles"

What happens when these circle of men get smaller ? The amount of dogs get smaller and soon start to vanish . I no that many of dog av been ruined by man.man trying to make a name for them selfs or trying to make a pound for them selfs but these lads are going on like only man blessed by god can own one of these dogs , surely there are men out there in wales Scotland Ireland England who keep them selfs to them selfs and work there dogs hard and not shout about it or try make a name or a pound who could keep this breed of terrier going for many years to come if they were given the chance to own one or two.. but of a two sided coin really because surly keeping them in such tight circles could also lead to them disappear in the future ..

Each to there own really tho just my opinion

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two brothers in the picture ,Wheaten Cross both know there game .Black Lad is quiet as lamb with people and other dogs,Grey fella can be dog aggressive and people he isnt fimilar with he has to be wat

Border X Wheaten, first cross. Bit too big for some earths but was game, pic is about 15 yrs ago. I don't post much anymore but reason I'm on this thread is I'm looking for a Wheaten or a X similar to

There still som men out there that will Only keep working Wheaton and are not knowing at all and they will bring it to ground with them Because it's. There old way. The Wheaton is fa

Posted Images

Do you lads not think that these dogs are getting so thin on the ground because of the hype that goes with them . ?

I mean every time I see a weaton thread on here it all goes secret squirrel . 50 % off the post are either making out there kid killers and a mindless dog that will kill anything it can and the other 50% just give the usual " yea there's good working weaton in tight circles"

What happens when these circle of men get smaller ? The amount of dogs get smaller and soon start to vanish . I no that many of dog av been ruined by man.man trying to make a name for them selfs or trying to make a pound for them selfs but these lads are going on like only man blessed by god can own one of these dogs , surely there are men out there in wales Scotland Ireland England who keep them selfs to them selfs and work there dogs hard and not shout about it or try make a name or a pound who could keep this breed of terrier going for many years to come if they were given the chance to own one or two.. but of a two sided coin really because surly keeping them in such tight circles could also lead to them disappear in the future ..

they ain't kid killers, their just dog killers ???

they ain't kid killers, their just dog killers

I wouldn't trust a wheaten around a child, unless in the last few years they've changed.

• Like 4

In the 90s there were probably fewer wheatens around than there had been for a lifetime but they probably as good as they were in the late 70s early 80s when competition was fierce. And thats because the lads who had them knew how to test and breed them.

Then in the 00's they were worth a few pounds and the peddlers started churning them out. The funny thing is that most of these peddlers had dogs in the early 80s when competition was tough but they didn't take part back then.

But after a few good articles by the likes of Springview etc. and the English wanting the Irish legend it was easier than ever to make a quick buck and it easy money too as the English don't know how to work a wheaten.

An Irish man couldn't pull the wool over an English mans eyes regarding a sounder but it was easy with a strongdog.

Dogs for sale were, let's say, £300, but if the Englishman had a piece of paper to go with his purchase the price was now £500 and that suited the English man as it made the story better.

But, those who've always had the breed at heart just kept their head down and kept them right respecting both dog and quarry.

I haven't seen a strongdog work in a few years now and the couple near me seem to be owned by messers who couldn't dig a hole but probably love the legendary stories but I'd make a guess and say that the proper, proper working wheaten is now as rare as ever but 100% safe because he's probably still in good hands.

• Like 2
Guest Navek

In the 90s there were probably fewer wheatens around than there had been for a lifetime but they probably as good as they were in the late 70s early 80s when competition was fierce. And thats because the lads who had them knew how to test and breed them.

Then in the 00's they were worth a few pounds and the peddlers started churning them out. The funny thing is that most of these peddlers had dogs in the early 80s when competition was tough but they didn't take part back then.

But after a few good articles by the likes of Springview etc. and the English wanting the Irish legend it was easier than ever to make a quick buck and it easy money too as the English don't know how to work a wheaten.

An Irish man couldn't pull the wool over an English mans eyes regarding a sounder but it was easy with a strongdog.

Dogs for sale were, let's say, £300, but if the Englishman had a piece of paper to go with his purchase the price was now £500 and that suited the English man as it made the story better.

But, those who've always had the breed at heart just kept their head down and kept them right respecting both dog and quarry.

I haven't seen a strongdog work in a few years now and the couple near me seem to be owned by messers who couldn't dig a hole but probably love the legendary stories but I'd make a guess and say that the proper, proper working wheaten is now as rare as ever but 100% safe because he's probably still in good hands.

A fool and his money are easily parted be he English Scottish Irish ect ect , but I can understand what you mean , as a lot of English lads fell for the old " Irish Stafford terrier" I'm sure some money was made of that.,

That been said there are still lads in England Wales Scotland who like a strong dog around them ... not for money not for fame but for the love of the dog /breed ...

There are also plenty of lads out there who feel the strong dog has no place in the working field ,

Each to there own.

I wouldn't trust a wheaten around a child, unless in the last few years they've changed.
i wouldn't trust any breed with a small child but I've seen wheatens and there crosses that were excellent with kids. I know there is human aggressive ones maybe that's just the particular lines they came from with that trait but that type to me is an accident waiting to happen and those dogs should be culled regardless of ability. Gates will be left open accidentally from time to time and even one child's life would be too much to lose for all the wheatens in Ireland.
  • Like 1
Guest Navek

i wouldn't trust any breed with a small child but I've seen wheatens and there crosses that were excellent with kids. I know there is human aggressive ones maybe that's just the particular lines they came from with that trait but that type to me is an accident waiting to happen and those dogs should be culled regardless of ability. Gates will be left open accidentally from time to time and even one child's life would be too much to lose for all the wheatens in Ireland.
I'd agree with some of that , s strong dog that is human agressive wouldn't be much use , however if someone came rooting around my back yard who shouldn't be there I'd also expect the dog to have something about its self not too let strangers take it , strong dogs should be kept properly kennled , and handled ,,

I'd agree with some of that , s strong dog that is human agressive wouldn't be much use , however if someone came rooting around my back yard who shouldn't be there I'd also expect the dog to have something about its self not too let strangers take it , strong dogs should be kept properly kennled , and handled ,,
I agree with you there I think the breed is fading away because their uses are limited nowadays and a well bred lurcher would do the same job while also catching your dinner. I've never met anyone that wouldnt stand and admire a good stamp of a Wheaton just the same. Everyone wants to breed running dogs off them but someone has to feed and kennel the source.?
  • Like 2

I agree with you there I think the breed is fading away because their uses are limited nowadays and a well bred lurcher would do the same job while also catching your dinner. I've never met anyone that wouldnt stand and admire a good stamp of a Wheaton just the same. Everyone wants to breed running dogs off them but someone has to feed and kennel the source.?
That's a fair enough statement jiggy the problem is without strong dogs that are tested to determine how good they are at work, what type of lurchers will you end up with. Rabbit dogs at best? an all round lurcher should be able to catch and despatch more than rabbits. I've no love for lurchers personally but I hope you see my point. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 3

When I first started out in the game a fair few years ago, I was at a mates kennels, he was an ex club man, kept a few terriers, lurchers etc I was there to buy a ferret, his lurchers & terriers were housed in block pens outside the pen was a dog box, when I walked in2 the yard a Wheaton (it was a 3/4 Wheaton 1/4 staff, but threw well to the Wheaton) walked out of the box, he was on a chain, didn't growl, bark or anything like that and the chain was loose, I remember the dog was just staring, my mate just said calmly "dont get too close to him" just knew rightly that dog knew the length of that chain, I kept my distance,

• Like 1
On 23/07/2017 at 18:16, neil cooney said:

On 23/07/2017 at 15:36, Navek said:

I haven't seen a strongdog work in a few years now and the couple near me seem to be owned by messers who couldn't dig a hole but probably love the legendary stories but I'd make a guess and say that the proper, proper working wheaten is now as rare as ever but 100% safe because he's probably still in good ha

Edited by Miga
Want content removed
  • Like 1

That's a fair enough statement jiggy the problem is without strong dogs that are tested to determine how good they are at work, what type of lurchers will you end up with. Rabbit dogs at best? an all round lurcher should be able to catch and despatch more than rabbits. I've no love for lurchers personally but I hope you see my point.
I agree with you 100% the Wheaton needs to prove to be from working background before breeding or it's the equivalent of using a labradoodle.
  • Like 2

The mans name is being thrown about alot to da sell pups by people who have as much interest in working dogs as the man on the the moon

Yes your wright Miga but when your with the right lads no money changes hands some lads are just keeping the breed going as there is not to many left

• Like 1