working wheaten lines

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two brothers in the picture ,Wheaten Cross both know there game .Black Lad is quiet as lamb with people and other dogs,Grey fella can be dog aggressive and people he isnt fimilar with he has to be wat

Border X Wheaten, first cross. Bit too big for some earths but was game, pic is about 15 yrs ago. I don't post much anymore but reason I'm on this thread is I'm looking for a Wheaten or a X similar to

There still som men out there that will Only keep working Wheaton and are not knowing at all and they will bring it to ground with them Because it's. There old way. The Wheaton is fa

Posted Images

One of the last well bred. They're a dying breed unfortunately.

Thats a fine example of a wheaten. There is some working wheatens about still, big lumps of dogs 45 pound plus in weight. I wonder are these dogs of today a lot bigger than the dogs of the early trialing days. I'd imagine they would struggle to travel a 9 inch pipe/tunnel even though they don't have to as trialling is finished now. It would be interesting to hear some of the working weights of the old dogs. I'm guessing they would of been nearer to 35 pounds. Edited by jiggy
  • Like 1

looking at photos of working wheatens, the head shape looks the same as a glen of imaals ?. Are the wheatens a larger version of the glens ?.

I would'nt even mention the 2 of them in the same sentence,the Wheaten is a far far superior working terrier and has been proven so right down through the years.

i understand that the wheaten is a superior worker. the only wheatens ive seen is from the show variety and to be honest the heads are very weak. i mentioned the glens becouse the head structure is more like a staffs and looking at the photos of working wheatens the heads seem to be the same structure of the glens. its a shame that they are becoming less common.

Dog that was gave to me

That is off a very old working line in

Co. Down

Is that dog out of the last ones to come from PM
The most impressed I've ever been by terriers was on PM's yard way back. B

I would agree I was lucky enough to have been in his yard too on a few occasions and seen some of his dogs and they were very impressive terriers in every way.

I think he has a knowledge of the breed and had a line of wheatens that not too many had.

Is there any of his stuff around now?

yes there is a few around some up north

Dog that was gave to me

Co. Down

I would agree I was lucky enough to have been in his yard too on a few occasions and seen some of his dogs and they were very impressive terriers in every way.

I think he has a knowledge of the breed and had a line of wheatens that not too many had.

That's good to hear, be a pity to see a good line of terriers like that dying out.

• Like 2

Dog that was gave to me

Co. Down

That's good to hear, be a pity to see a good line of terriers like that dying out.

Dog that was gave to me

Co. Down

there's plenty of wheatens about with mannings bloodline in their pedigree and still working well

Dog that was gave to me

Co. Down

Dog that was gave to me

Co. Down

there's plenty of wheatens about with mannings bloodline in their pedigree and still working well

Thanks, the ones I saw were very impressive, glad to hear there still around and working well, credit to all concerned.