Beaver snaring

This is a beaver house constructed with wood and mud. Entrance is under the ice where they can come and go to get the trees and limbs they’ve stored up for the winter. This one is over 6ft high and contains a whole family. Young ones from this past spring, and maybe the young from last year. Just set my snares yesterday and will give it about 3 days before checking. The beaver of course will drown and not have their air cut off like with regular snaring. You catch them in all sorts of ways, By the tail, Teeth, nose, feet, and even by a toe or to, But normally they get their front shoulders in the loop. They can stay in the cold water for days and it wont hurt the fur.

IMG_0815.jpg

This pic shows the house and feed pile. Notice the brush in the water to the right of the house, that’s the feed and it extends way beyond the right of the picture.

IMG_0813.jpg

Here is the snare set up using poplar for bait. Short pieces to keep the beavers head in the area of the snare. We nail the bait on. Snares are looped over the pole then tightened and a safety wire run up to the top of the ice and attached to a cross pole

IMG_0816.jpg

Here’s 3 sets in this picture. I set 8 in all, only because I know other trappers know about this colony. The dam is on the left of the ice. Shallow dam but must be 150 ft long.

I’ll add more pictures as the beaver start showing up in the snares.

IMG_0820.jpg

Edited by Hornhunter

very interesting post mate keep us up dated with your progress .are you using cam locks on those wires ?if only we could use them over here it would result in less stress as a quick kill would be ensured as the animal pulled it would in effect kill itself i like the bait your using it seems a bit strange to me :hmm: it would work the same way a carrot would for rabbits :) as im only catching fox and rabbits but i really enjoy these posts keep up the good work :signthankspin:

Edited by woodga
very interesting post mate keep us up dated with your progress .are you using cam locks on those wires ?if only we could use them over here it would result in less stress as a quick kill would be ensured as the animal pulled it would in effect kill itself i like the bait your using it seems a bit strange to me :hmm: it would work the same way a carrot would for rabbits :) as im only catching fox and rabbits but i really enjoy these posts keep up the good work :signthankspin:

good luck hope you catch a few :D

Woodga, yes they are cam locks. I/16th used on 7x7 1/16th cable. Carrots are used in a similar set to catch muskrat under ice, or on a float in open water.

Set another colony today, but another trapper had set it up yesterday. He had 6 sets all traps except for one snare set. I set 7 with all snares. You can see the sets around the feed bed. I set one behind where the pic was taken. The beaver have a bank house about 100 ft from this one. They'll travel back and forth under the ice.

Nice quiet day!

IMG_0826.jpg

Very interesting and different, i hope you get a few. Did you choose to use snares because of the others knowing about the area so they dont steal your traps?

Wish you luck

All us beaver trappers in this area know each other and watch out for each other, But that's not normal everywhere. I did have 2 coyote traps stolen this fall. One I couldn't tell just what took it. But the other was taken or thrown where I couldn't find it by a bird hunter that had his dog get caught in the trap. Tracks told the story.

With the temps going to be in the 50 today I went early to check the snares. Did manage to catch this big one. Weighs 49 lbs

Quite sure It’s a problem beaver I live trapped 2 years ago. The tail has a large gash in it probably from a fight. If so, then he’s only move about a mile in 2 years. Up a mountain to this bog.

I had already checked the set and could see a beaver foot under the ice.

IMG_0832.jpg

Up comes ole Bucky caught by one leg.

IMG_0833.jpg

Labs like beaver also.

IMG_0834.jpg

Few more pics from the fur shed.

IMG_0835.jpg

Beavers back feet are huge compared to it’s front feet. An this is why such a large trap is used for beaver, and It takes a big trap to hold him. They can produce a lot of power with those webbed flippers.

IMG_0836.jpg

Front feet.

IMG_0837.jpg

Not the same beaver, but this is how they are stretched. The beaver in the pictures stretch beyond the circles. That’s a fisher on the left.

IMG_0838.jpg