DSC1 INFO

IVE BEEN STALKING FOR A FEW YEARS, SHOT QUITE A FEW DEER AND AM GENUINELY PASSIONATE ABOUT THE SPORT HAVING BEEN ROUGH SHOOTING ETC SINCE I WAS A BOY. IM KNOCKING ON A BIT NOW AND HAVE RESERVATIONS ABOUT QUALIFICATIONS HAVING SEEN WHATS GONE ON IN THE ELECTRICAL INDUSTRY. YOU NO SOONER PASS ONE QUALIFICATION 15TH EDITION, THEN THE 16TH COMES OUT AND LOW AND BEHOLD...MORE EXPENSE. THEN HAVING BEEN IN THE GAME 30 ODD YEARS I NOW NEED A PART P QUALIFICATION TO WIRE HOUSES OUT ETC, THE COST...LAST I HEARD £1500. I,LL BE EFFED IF IM DOING OR TAKING ANY MORE. I KNOW WHATS SAFE AND WHATS UNSAFE AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT HAVE SOME DEGREE OF COMMON SENSE. ANYHOW,IN THE BELIEF THAT AT SOME POINT THE DSC1 WILL BECOME MANDATORY, AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT ,IVE TAKEN THE PLUNGE AND GONE FOR IT, FORKING OUT A SMALL FORTUNE. THE MANUALS LANDED AND THE PANICS SET IN. TRUTH IS, THESE DAYS I STRUGGLE TO REMEMBER MY POSTCODE, AND TO BE HONEST IM NOT EXACTLY THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE BOX. IF IM EXPECTED TO MEMORISE MUZZLE VELOCITYS, DEER SEASONS FOR ALL THE SPECIES, MEMORISE AN ARRAY OF DISEASES AND SYMPTOMS I FEEL I MAY WELL HAVE BLEW A LOT OF CASH MY FAMILY COULD HAVE PUT TO BETTER USE. I THOUGHT I MAY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO REFER TO THE MAUNAL DURING THE EXAMINATION BUT APPARENTLY THIS ISNT THE CASE. IF ANYONE OUT THERES BEEN THROUGH THE PROCESS WITH BASC ID BE GREATFUL FOR CONFIRMATION OF THIS AND ANY OTHER ADVICE. THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE THAT TAKES THE TIME OUT TO RESPOND.

DsC 1 is most common sence, assosiate you deer speci with some thing you remeber. face, tail, eyes,glands. Muzzle velo remeber the legal calibre for both small & large only. Season is easy, when deer in foal ,no shoot ! when buck/stag rut no shoot .Hunt male summer ,female winter simples. easy with you 30 year experience :thumbs:

Read the manual ,then read it again ,then read it again !

Get the family to ask you the questions over and over again .

If you have stalked abit and do your own grallocks you will know alot of the answers already. Learn the safety question and answers of the manual as yoe must answer ALL of these correctly ! And you tend to go blank as you are on a simulated stalk and put to much preasure on your self . But do not worry as the people who run the courses are brilliant .

The other questions are 40 correct out of 50

and then 32 correct out of 40

and 14 out of the 20 deer pictures.

The 50 and 40 questions have a one in four chance of a correct answer so not over scary . The deer id questions are not hard BUT take your time as it is easy to rush and not answer correctly !

Shooting test ! Now this is where you pile the pressure on your self !! BUT don't .

Shoot as you would on a normal stalk/range day, the target area is large and the range short and do not rush the last shot !

Good luck and enjoy the course its fun.

Hi before I done dsc1 I didnt know much about stalking,I had lots of shooting experience just not with deer,when I received the thick dsc1 manual i was crapping myself & asked for advice,the best advice I had was to read the manual then work your way through the Qs at the back of it,if it hasnt changed I dont think you have to worry about the NI section.When you get on the coarse youll find that all the staff are very helpful & are not out to fail you.On my coarse there were experienced stalkers that found it very interesting & even learnt a lot.Good luck & keep us posted

Andy

Hi i am also a retired electrican, i took dsc1 in march this year, i looked on the bds website one monday morning and saw that a course was starting at wadhurst on the following thursday, bds said they could fit me on the course but could not get the manual to me in time so i booked the course and borrowed the book and a copy of the deer quest cd from a friend, started studying monday afternoon, spent all day tuesday and wednesday working with deerquest, started the course thursday morning. studied every night when i got home, finished the course on sunday and passed, for me i found the deer recognition difficult, and was a nervous wreck during the shooting but managed to get through it.we could not refer to the manual during any of the tests, i know my copy of deerquest was out of date but i understand they are working on a new version. on reflection it would have been nice to have a few weeks to study the manual but i came away with a lot of good information, and made a few new friends, by the way i used reloads for the shooting test the range officer asked me what bullet weight i was using but at no time were reloads mentioned. so i would say just go for it.

regard geoff

Why do people put themselves under such presseure to do something they have done for years without.Totally agree about the electrician bullshit and the deer qualifications are going the same . If they dont bring out a part 3 to this fiasco soon then i'll be very surprised covering the publics reaction and public relations,more money for old rope.

Cant you people see what harm this is doing to the sport ,undermining years of experience in favour of a piece of paper and a hole in the wallet .

The sad fact is if a test become mandatory then you can bet your last quid it will be an extra to the dsc's and another fee payable for all those having spent hard earned on the bollocks out there now .

Only in Britain can there be a test for some to gain a foot up or in but not compulsary fot everyone to maintain a standard in the sport ,what a f**k up .