full of shit

Why don't folk just course them where they are? Not knocking it just never been to Ireland so don't quite get it? Surely it's a bigger test if the hare is in its natural environment / home???

They are. In Ireland we have park coursing and open coursing. Same rules apply but in park coursing the greyhounds must be muzzeled, and not in open. Although the same rules apply in park coursing the dog that wins the run up usually wins the course. Athough this can differ from judge to judge. When I see the same type of judgeing used in open coursing it makes my blood boil.

A lot of the Open C.C.s are struggling nowadays as poaching is a growing problem (it's illegal to use lurchers to hunt hares in the R.O.I.) but a bigger problem IMO is the ever growing buzzard population. Scavangers???? Yeh right, if the buzzard doesn't kill it's quarry then there's a lot of leverets dieing and then being found by them.

If your a coursing fan and have never been to Ireland it's worth going to the big meets in the Munster area particularly Clonmel to see how massive and popular coursing is in Ireland.

Personally, give me a fit hare on his own ground giving the two running machines behind him a hard course of several turns before hitting 5th gear and leaving them behind over a park meeting anytime.

How many open C.C's are there in Eire? I thought the Cork County Open and one other club in the North were the only 2?

Y.I.S Leeview

have to laugh at what they said about bull island

i have hunted bull island for the first time

over twenty years ago as a nipper

i remember there could be 50 hares in one

day there an anti writer in the local paper

blamed it on rising tides and the odd cat

yet their fox did not get any bad press

and there are plenty of them.

i hunted regular more sore than most as at was

always hot.

but the funny thing was they did dissapear

and at the same time the top class golf course

thats on the island was long fed up with the amount

of hares on the small island and where i pest to them.

every hare that you would rise in the salt marsh would head

for the few gaps in the fencing along the course and any one

could net these gaps and have a huge bag as i have not

ever seen as many hares any where in ire

these hares where either shot or netted in my opinion and

was sick when they dissapered more than any one.

would also like to add that the game keeper was a total knob

and knew nothing about wildlife and their management.

they even ruined the fishing with the road they built to it.

stopping the current and very few bother to fish now.

as was said in earlier bringing hares from an area rich in food

to a salt marsh and sand dunnes was just tipical of some people

who carry out these ideas.pity they did not have some one on board

that knew some thing about animals

brought the miss down with the dogs during summer and dogs for a walk

and even with my strong stomack had to turn back with the

smell of crap washed up on the beach.

funny really do they even give a shit

mack

buzzards may take carrion when avaliable!!! i have seen them take rabbits reguarly in my work and have noticed a massive increase in them in north wales over the years. have no personal problem with them but can understand a gamekeepers problem. :gunsmilie:

Why don't folk just course them where they are? Not knocking it just never been to Ireland so don't quite get it? Surely it's a bigger test if the hare is in its natural environment / home???

They are. In Ireland we have park coursing and open coursing. Same rules apply but in park coursing the greyhounds must be muzzeled, and not in open. Although the same rules apply in park coursing the dog that wins the run up usually wins the course. Athough this can differ from judge to judge. When I see the same type of judgeing used in open coursing it makes my blood boil.

A lot of the Open C.C.s are struggling nowadays as poaching is a growing problem (it's illegal to use lurchers to hunt hares in the R.O.I.) but a bigger problem IMO is the ever growing buzzard population. Scavangers???? Yeh right, if the buzzard doesn't kill it's quarry then there's a lot of leverets dieing and then being found by them.

If your a coursing fan and have never been to Ireland it's worth going to the big meets in the Munster area particularly Clonmel to see how massive and popular coursing is in Ireland.

Personally, give me a fit hare on his own ground giving the two running machines behind him a hard course of several turns before hitting 5th gear and leaving them behind over a park meeting anytime.

How many open C.C's are there in Eire? I thought the Cork County Open and one other club in the North were the only 2?

Y.I.S Leeview

There are plenty of open coursing clubs in Ireland my own favourite being Newbridge, Co. Kildare although a lot of people say my own local meeting (Duleek) has the most spectacular coursing. But Duleek struggle most years compared to Newbridge who usually run a 16 dog stake in about 3 hours.

Have a look at the I.C.C.s website and it will give you the full years schedule.

Just to add before some read this and get bright ideas.

One of the reasons Newbridge is a very good meet is because it's held on private property where the hares are watched 24/7 and there's always someone around.

Duleek on the other hand suffers from poaching every year including one year when some cowboys from nearby Drogheda hunted through the land 2 hours before first dog were in slips. A whole years work ruined by assholes. They know who they are.

It's the oldest open coursing club left in Ireland and is in danger of finishing up because of so called fellow fieldsportsmen.

Lurchers are such a problem that some of the local farmers have asked the local gun club to shoot the hares rather than put up with the threats from the scumbags who give all lurchermen a bad name.